Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The quote thread.

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Russ55:
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. - George Carlin
    I love this. I'm using this is my statistics class when we talk about the normal curve.
    Yeah, it certainly puts it in perspective. Are you teaching now?
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Fart not lest your senses be offended.

????????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Teddy Roosevelt I believe. I've always loved that quote. Used to have it on my bulletin board at work years ago.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    "I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too."
    -Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Heavy:
    james40:
    Teddy Roosevelt I believe. I've always loved that quote. Used to have it on my bulletin board at work years ago.
    Winnar Winnar, Chicken Dinnar. Yep, I tend to like every quote of his.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    Heavy:
    james40:
    Winnar Winnar, Chicken Dinnar. Yep, I tend to like every quote of his.
    +1
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Some weeks have four or five Mondays in a row" - J.L. Marta

• Options
    jlmarta:
    "Some weeks have four or five Mondays in a row" - J.L. Marta

Seems that way more often as we get older.

:-)
  • Options
    Speak not lest you be quoted.
  • Options
    Never drink the milk from the back of the fridge!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then there's the one Russ55 seems to like,

"I stick a raisin in my belly button and pretend I'm a cookie", - J.L. Marta

• Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Hell, yes, it's a Cuban cigar. But I'm not supporting their economy. I'm burning their fields.~Kinky Friedman (thanks Tony)
  • Options
    His knowledge was greater than his wisdom, and his powers were far superior to his character.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I learned from him that we should attempt a total surrender to whatever atmosphere was offering itself at the moment; in a squalid town, seek out those very places where its squalor rose to grimness and almost grandeur, on a dismal day to find the most dismal and dripping wood, on a windy day to seek the windiest ridge. There was not irony about it; only a serious, yet gleeful, determination to rub one's nose in the very quiddity of each thing, to rejoice in its being what it was.
    C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

• Options
    “The great corporations which we have grown to speak of rather loosely as trusts are the creatures of the State, and the State not only has the right to control them, but it is duty bound to control them wherever the need of such control is shown.”

? Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options
    We must have complete and effective publicity of corporate affairs, so that people may know beyond peradventure whether the corporations obey the law and whether their management entitles them to the confidence of the public. It is necessary that laws should be passed to prohibit the use of corporate funds directly or indirectly for political purposes; it is still more necessary that such laws should be thoroughly enforced. Corporate expenditures for political purposes, and especially such expenditures by public-service corporations, have supplied one of the principal sources of corruption in our political affairs.

– Theodore Roosevelt, speech at Osawatomie, Kansas, "The New Nationalism" (August 31, 1910)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    "In a fascist system, property is privately “owned,” but its use is dictated and controlled by government officials...

....When government officials have such immense powers, individuals and businesses seek to influence the use of that power. They make campaign donations, offer investment opportunities, and provide other perks to politicians. In exchange, Congressmen use their political power to benefit their cronies. What cannot be achieved in a boardroom is achieved in a Congressional hearing room. "

- Brian Phillips
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    side of the sun

the bulls are grand as the side of the sun
    and although they kill them for the stale crowds,
    it is the bull that burns the fire,
    and although there are cowardly bulls as
    there are cowardly matadors and cowardly men,
    generally the bull stands pure
    and dies pure
    untouched by symbols or cliques or false loves,
    and when they drag him out
    nothing has died
    something has passed
    and the eventual stench
    is the world.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. Ben Franklin
  • Options
    This for those of you who've dreaded incoming bunkerbusters

on going out to get the mail
    the droll noon
    where squadrons of worms creep up like stripteasers
    to be raped by blackbirds

I go outside and all up and down the street
    the green armies shoot color like an everlasting 4th of July,
    and I too seem to swell inside, a kind of unknown bursting,
    a feeling, perhaps, that there isn't any enemy
    anywhere.

and i reach down into the box and there is
    nothing ---not even a letter from the gas co. saying they will shut it off again

not even a short note from my x-wife bragging about her present happiness.

my hand searches the mailbox in a kind of
    disbelief long after the mind has given up

there's not even a dead fly down there!

I am a fool, I think, I should have known it works like this.

I go back inside as all the flowers leap to please me.

• Options
    There are laws to protect the freedom of the press's speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.

Mark Twain

• Options
    There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it.

George Bernard Shaw

I agree with this view, except there are two religions: Atheism, and the one Shaw describes.

• Options
    If you can't find it in your heart to do some good, do us all A favor and jump off A bridge.

Unknown
  • Options
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Albert Einstein

I think it can also be said that business without ethics or morals is evil.

• Options
    "The weirder you are going to behave, the more normal you should look. . .When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person."

P.J. O'Rourke
  • Options
    Don't only practice your art, But force your way into its secrets. For it and knowledge Can raise men to the divine.
    -Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Albert Einstein

I think it can also be said that business without ethics or morals is evil.

anything without morals has potential to be evil.

the good news is that when business has zero morals (with a government that isnt corrupt like ours) it will collapse on itself. nobody wants to work for or buy from a bunch of dicks.