Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The quote thread.

Comments

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    because inevitably, whatever's changing the question is a product of our current environment and those people we surround ourselves with, as opposed to your own internal decisions So to eliminate all of that outside noise, and surround oneself with completely new and foreign surroundings... imagine what new questions that might bring? And the answers? ~ Hays
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, Be happy!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Don't worry, Be happy!
    heres a little song i wrote, might wanna sing it note for note.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Too much is never enough.

Donald Trump

Nobody gets out of here alive.

Jim Morrison
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch? Tyler Durden
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Nothing is inevitable as long as we are willing to contemplate what is happening, and act on rational, logical conclusions.

Marshal McLuhan
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Just because I haven't read it it a while.

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. Rudyard Kipling
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Those ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it.

(I don't know the source of this quote/saying but saw it on another website and wanted to share.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before- unknown
  • Options
    "The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been."
    - Alan Ashley-Pitt

• Options
    jgibv:
    "The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been."
    - Alan Ashley-Pitt
    Corollary - Take the road less travelled.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    "A mind all logic is like a knife all blade - it cuts the hand that wields it" - Rabindranath Tagore
  • Options
    jgibv:

Then they came for me,

(I don't know the source of this quote/saying but saw it on another website and wanted to share.)
    Pastor Martin Niemöller, German born, at first accepted Hitler when he rose to power, but by the late 1930's he had, on moral grounds, become a member of the German Resistance against Nazism. Held in Dachau from 1941 to April 1945, he was rescued from an SS firing squad by Allied troops just hours before the scheduled execution. He becme a leader in the Evangelical Church of Germany after WWII, and voiced very strong opposition to the proliferation of nuclear weapons during the cold war. He was in every aspect, a liberal. "The corner-stone of my thinking is that the root of every evil development is money" he would often say. I admire this man as much as anyone of those who have gone before us. FYI; The last line "Those ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it. " does not belong in this poem, because Niemöller never used it, but is completely appropriate as a summary.
  • Options
    The love of money is the root of all evil.

The New Testament
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    The love of money is the root of all evil.

The New Testament
    Close...

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. - 1 Timothy 6:10.

Also, remember in this context, it is not wealth, nor its gain that is the danger, but instead covetous desires. Not all evils stem from money itself.
  • Options
    The love of money is the face of greed, and greed is the most corrosive and destructive of all vices.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jgibv:

Then they came for me,

Pastor Martin Niemöller, German born, at first accepted Hitler when he rose to power, but by the late 1930's he had, on moral grounds, become a member of the German Resistance against Nazism. Held in Dachau from 1941 to April 1945, he was rescued from an SS firing squad by Allied troops just hours before the scheduled execution. He becme a leader in the Evangelical Church of Germany after WWII, and voiced very strong opposition to the proliferation of nuclear weapons during the cold war. He was in every aspect, a liberal. "The corner-stone of my thinking is that the root of every evil development is money" he would often say. I admire this man as much as anyone of those who have gone before us. FYI; The last line "Those ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it. " does not belong in this poem, because Niemöller never used it, but is completely appropriate as a summary.
    Awesome - thankyou for the source and background info. I'll be reading more about Niemöller later tonight. And I'm going to see if the library has his book Vom U-Boot zur Kanzel (From U-boat to Pulpit).
    Have you read it?

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Perhaps the only thing that makes money and/or the pursuit of money evil is mankind itself . What does that say about mankind ?

How many would go to work tommorow if their was no money in it for them ?

• Options
    If you're gonna be a smart A$$. First you have to be smart.
    Otherwise, you're just an A$$
  • Options
    Bruce Wayne: Targeting me won't get their money back. I knew the mob wouldn't go down without a fight, but this is different. They crossed the line.

Alfred Pennyworth: You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation, they turned to a man they didn't fully understand.

Bruce Wayne: Criminals aren't complicated, Alfred. Just have to figure out what he's after.

Alfred Pennyworth: With respect Master Wayne, perhaps this is a man that *you* don't fully understand, either. A long time ago, I was in Burma. My friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So, we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never met anybody who traded with him. One day, I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Bruce Wayne: So why steal them?

Alfred Pennyworth: Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Perhaps the only thing that makes money and/or the pursuit of money evil is mankind itself . What does that say about mankind ?

Lutheran mode engaged - It is indeed us, as fallen sinful imperfect beings that makes anything sinful. Even the very best we do, our ultimate righteousnessis but dirty rags when compared to true righteousness. - Lutheran mode off.

Long story short, we (humans) suck, we will always suck, no matter what we do, ther will be an underlying layer of suckitude. This, of course, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do good things, but we should also not focus entirely on the bad that others do...we have all done evil in our own ways.

The maxim for writing a good story is just as true in real life... "show, don't tell".

I suppose I should throw a quote in here too. Seems appropriate to me waxing religious. "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39.
  • Options
    A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar.
    Mark Twain
  • Options
    A cynic is someone whose vision is so faulty that he sees things as they are instead of how they should be.

Ambrose Bierce
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    A cynic is someone whose vision is so faulty that he sees things as they are instead of how they should be.

Ambrose Bierce
    Eggs Ackley. I love old Ambrose Bierce.

Aborigines, n.:
    Persons of little worth found cumbering the soil of a newly discovered country. They soon cease to cumber; they fertilize.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    The earth belongs always to the living generation.
    They may manage it then, and what proceeds from it, as they please, during their usufruct.
    They are masters too of their own persons, and consequently may govern them as they please.
    But persons and property make the sum of the objects of government.
    The constitution and the laws of their predecessors extinguished then in their natural course with those who gave them being.
    This could preserve that being till it ceased to be itself, and no longer.
    Every constitution then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of 19 years.

- Thomas Jefferson to James Madison
    - 6 Sept. 1789, Papers 15: 392--97

• Options
    Great is the mind of the man who smiles when confronted with adversity.
    ???? Unknown author.
  • Options
    Hollow is the man who is unjustified.
    Author unknown
  • Options
    God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

Voltaire
  • Options
    Another reminder that some things just don't change:

Politics: The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

Ambrose Bierce
  • Options
    Live loudly but die quietly.
    Unknown author.