Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    nudie-

Man, I never would have guessed it was the LHCOF. I've had the Diesel and even though they share they same type of wrapper, the flavors were completely different. I've been wanting to try the LHC so I'm grateful for this opportunity.

Hays-

Thanks, man. I read your reviews when you did this and your format made a lot of sense to me. I just had to steal it for my own.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    sightunseen:
    So this is my review of Cigar A

Appearance
    The stick measures about 6.5"x52, a bit longer than a regular toro but shorter than a churchill. Perhaps it's a double corona. The stick is wrapped in a beautiful madruo wrapper, smooth and showing no major veins. The stick is firm throughout, with no soft spots and topped with a double cap.

Pre-Light
    The aroma was sweet and earthy, with that tradtional maduro smell. The foot smelled of sweet chocolate. The cap cut easily, and the pre-light draw was firm and yielded notes of earth and chocolate.

First Third
    The cigar started off with good notes of coffee and slight pepper, with a woody finish. As I progressed through the stick, the firm loosened, and each draw produced lots of smoke. The burn was straight and the ash held til about 1.5" until I tapped it. Flavors remained the same for about the 1st third

Second Third
    During the second third, the coffee notes were toned down, and the wood notes became the primary flavor I tasted. The burn continued to remain straight. No other changes were noted by me. I am going to place the body at medium.

Final Third
    Flavors did not change much from the second third, but the slight pepper came back. Towards the nub, a slight bitterness developed, but I am going to attribute it to me smoking it too quickly.

Conclusion
    Overall, I enjoyed the cigar, but I found it a little one-dimensional for a stick of this size. Based on what I've experienced, my guess is the CAO Brasilia. Big thanks to Nudie for the stick. I'll be trying cigar B tomorrow and will be posting my findings.
    Rockin... Great review,I do not know if I would enjoy this stick but may be worth a try! Props to Nudie for the stcik
  • Options
    Here's my review of Cigar B

Appearance
    The stick is a 5x50 robusto, with a smooth dark brown wrapper. There were 1 to 2 small to medium sized veins. The stick is solidly packed and topped with a double cap.

Pre-Light
    The wrapper gave off an earthy and leather aroma, in a combination I don't think I've smelled before. The foot smelled like a wheat bread. Tasty. The cap cut easily, and the pre-light draw was semi-firm, which is what I prefer. I got flavors of earth off the draw. Too bad it wasn't the wheat bread.

First Third
    The stick started off with a blast of pepper, strong but not overwhelming. After the first couple of puffs, it settled into a rich leather with a pepper finish. After about the first half inch, the pepper subsided and the leather took center stage. As the first third progressed, flavors of wood emerged and became more pronounced, eventually showing up consistently on the finish. As I was progressing through the first third, I realized that this stick reminded me strongly of the Diesel.

Each puff produced generous amounts of smoke and the burn was extremely sharp. The ash was solid and I let it grow to about 1.75 inches before I tapped it (I didn't want to risk it falling on me).

Second Third
    Flavors of leather continued to dominate throughout the second third, along with notes of wood. Here and there I got a bit of coffee. At this point I was starting to get a slight buzz and the stick feels like it's a med-full body.

For me, the test of how well a cigar burns is after the first ash. The stick burned extremely well after the first ash, continuing its sharp burn.

Final Third
    Flavors remained pretty much the same and the stick continued to burn beautifully. I did notice a little bit of harshness, but this time I am sure it wasn't due to me smoking it too quickly.

Conclusion
    I had some delicious southern food before the stick and needless to say, I was quite full. This stick was the perfect complement to the meal. Nice and hearty, I think this cigar will age quite well if given some time. Throughout the experience, I could not help but keep coming back to my initial comparison to the Diesel. The PA Broadleaf from the Diesel had a very distinctive taste and I definitely see it in this stick. So for my guess, I'm going to say 5 Vegas AAA.

Again, thanks to nudie for the stick. I will probably have some time to hit up Cigar C this Wednesday.
  • Options
    good review.... I hope that is what it is, I have one in the humi!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Again a very nice review! 5V AAA is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading your review, so I'm curious if you nailed it..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    nudie, where are you? I'm dying to know what I smoked. Will be burning Cigar C tomorrow.
  • Options
    nudienudie Posts: 112
    wonderful review... worked last night... so ill give you the answer with no hesitation....Perdomo Reserve Ltd. Oscuro... im gonna light one up in a minute
  • Options
    Thanks, nudie. Damn, I was so sure it was the AAA. Oh well, we shall see what Cigar C brings...
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Thanks, nudie. Damn, I was so sure it was the AAA. Oh well, we shall see what Cigar C brings...
    Looks Like Mystery Stick c will be a Mystery for a long time i sea Post where NUDIE is going on a Submarine and has no clue when he wil be back. So enjoy the stick... LOL
  • Options
    Here is my review of Cigar C

Appearance
    The stick is a churchill, sporting a smooth Connecticut wrapper. It is tightly wrapped with no seams, finished off with a double cap. A quick squeeze showed that the cigar was slightly firm throughout, with no soft spots.

Pre-Light
    The wrapper gave off a sweet cedar aroma. Smelling the foot, it reminded me of bread or something like unsweetened cake. The draw was medium-firm and gave me notes of mild cedar.

First Third
    The cigar opened with a slight bit of pepper, which quickly settled into flavors of wood and nuts. The draw loosened as I progressed and each puff produced rich creamy smoke. The cigar burned beautifully straight. I got about an inch of ash before it fell on me. I had expected the ash to hold to at least 1.5"-1.75". The burn continued to be straight after the first ash.

Second and Final Third
    I am combining the second and final third together, as I did not notice any substantial change in the flavors. Towards the end, the wood and nut flavors became more pronounced, but it never got harsh. The burn continued to be straight (I did not have to touch it up once during the course of the smoke). I am going to say this stick falls squarely into the mild-body category.

Conclusions
    I've been smoking fuller-bodied cigars lately and this was a welcomed change of pace. I did not mind that the stick did not offer much complexity because I thoroughly enjoyed the wood and nut flavors throughout the stick and didn't want it to end. The solid construction made the experience even more enjoyable. For my guess, I am going to say RP Connecticut. Based on nudie's other post, I hope he has time to give me the answer before he goes away. If not, this is going to drive me crazy.

Alright, so this wraps up my part of the mystery stick game. Now for the second best part of this game, who's got next?
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Hmm, I haven't done this is a while. I'm down for some mystery sticks!
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    PM to you, sir.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    TatuajeVI:
    PM to you, sir.
    Sweet! They should arrive early next week and I'll get on them asap.
  • Options
    nudienudie Posts: 112
    sightunseen:
    Here is my review of Cigar C

Appearance
    The stick is a churchill, sporting a smooth Connecticut wrapper. It is tightly wrapped with no seams, finished off with a double cap. A quick squeeze showed that the cigar was slightly firm throughout, with no soft spots.

Pre-Light
    The wrapper gave off a sweet cedar aroma. Smelling the foot, it reminded me of bread or something like unsweetened cake. The draw was medium-firm and gave me notes of mild cedar.

First Third
    The cigar opened with a slight bit of pepper, which quickly settled into flavors of wood and nuts. The draw loosened as I progressed and each puff produced rich creamy smoke. The cigar burned beautifully straight. I got about an inch of ash before it fell on me. I had expected the ash to hold to at least 1.5"-1.75". The burn continued to be straight after the first ash.

Second and Final Third
    I am combining the second and final third together, as I did not notice any substantial change in the flavors. Towards the end, the wood and nut flavors became more pronounced, but it never got harsh. The burn continued to be straight (I did not have to touch it up once during the course of the smoke). I am going to say this stick falls squarely into the mild-body category.

Conclusions
    I've been smoking fuller-bodied cigars lately and this was a welcomed change of pace. I did not mind that the stick did not offer much complexity because I thoroughly enjoyed the wood and nut flavors throughout the stick and didn't want it to end. The solid construction made the experience even more enjoyable. For my guess, I am going to say RP Connecticut. Based on nudie's other post, I hope he has time to give me the answer before he goes away. If not, this is going to drive me crazy.

Alright, so this wraps up my part of the mystery stick game. Now for the second best part of this game, who's got next?
    well.. youre lucky... transportation plans feel through so i didnt have to leave today.... so i know you want to know.... the stick "C" is........a Gurkha Park Ave.... im smoking one right now
  • Options
    ChobaChoba Posts: 76
    Haven't played this yet, would like to partake. plus need to free up some space. best
  • Options
    Choba:
    Haven't played this yet, would like to partake. plus need to free up some space. best
    I sent TatuajeIV the sticks since it's currently his turn. You can be next after him.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Choba:
    I sent TatuajeIV the sticks since it's currently his turn. You can be next after him.
    just keep an eye on the baord and when TatuajeIV does his last review of cigar C , then he will post who wants to be next.... then the first guy to respond gets the stick pass. just keeep an eye on his reviews ITS a blast.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Choba:
    I expect them to arrive today or tomorrow. It's BEAUTIFUL out, so hopefully I'll get to them quickly. I really don't like having to wait until I smoke all three to send someone elses out. This game is too slow, lol.
  • Options
    ChobaChoba Posts: 76
    Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. Will
  • Options
    A tragedy is about to ensue. I lit up cigar A and within 5 minutes realize that I have to leave the house immediately. This is so unforunate, I am enjoying this very much, but I have no choice. I was planning on working on a research paper for school, so I sent myself what I had written at school. Balls. I wrote it in the latest version of Word, and my computer has the older version of Word. No dice on opening it, so that means I have to get my ass into school right away. It's due in a couple hours.

in ten minutes of smoking cigar A: burn was great. Construction was fantastic. A medium-light shade in color, a little toothy wrapper, nice construction. Flavors were a little nutty, some light sweetness on the finish, and a good bit of spice through the nose and in the back of the throat. I was really enjoying it. Boo!

Sincerely sorry, Tony. I have to guess something, though. It reminds me of the Don Pepin Series JJ. My guess would be a Dominican or Nicaraguan wrapper - habano or sumatra wrapper. I'll guess the JJ since that's what it reminds me of, but it's a shot in the dark.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    A tragedy is about to ensue. I lit up cigar A and within 5 minutes realize that I have to leave the house immediately. This is so unforunate, I am enjoying this very much, but I have no choice. I was planning on working on a research paper for school, so I sent myself what I had written at school. Balls. I wrote it in the latest version of Word, and my computer has the older version of Word. No dice on opening it, so that means I have to get my ass into school right away. It's due in a couple hours.

in ten minutes of smoking cigar A: burn was great. Construction was fantastic. A medium-light shade in color, a little toothy wrapper, nice construction. Flavors were a little nutty, some light sweetness on the finish, and a good bit of spice through the nose and in the back of the throat. I was really enjoying it. Boo!

Sincerely sorry, Tony. I have to guess something, though. It reminds me of the Don Pepin Series JJ. My guess would be a Dominican or Nicaraguan wrapper - habano or sumatra wrapper. I'll guess the JJ since that's what it reminds me of, but it's a shot in the dark.
    A tragedy for sure, but I understand, so no worries. I also have a research paper that is due tomorrow, and I started on Sunday. You should try Google Docs next time, I think they are able to open newer versions of Word files.

Anyhoo, good review for the length of time it was, haha. Unfortunately, your guess was incorrect. The cigar was a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet.
  • Options
    Ha, a Nicaraguan Habano. At least I wasn't too far off. Man I hated to let that one go, it was going to be delicious! On a positive note, I turned in my paper.
  • Options
    Yea, good call on the wrapper. I think it's been a while since I've had a JJ. I might have to put that on my to-do list. Congrats on the paper.
  • Options
    Well, I got to cigar B tonight while finishing up Plato's Phaedo. Absolutely fantastic read, btw.

Bardyard and hay smell before the lighting up. Wrapper was thinner than cigar A, so definitely not Nicaraguan. My guess would be Honduran or Dominican. Lighter shade, but not as light as a Connecticut. Possibly a sun grown, not sure. Lots of deep veins, a few imperfections. Cut with my Xicar as usual. Nice pre-light draw.

So sadly, the flavor was very light in this one. For the first 25 minutes all I could pick up was hay and paper. Almost non-existent. After that, there was a little leather that came up, but still very bland. I gave her a solid 45 minutes to see if it would pick up, but I put it down with a good 30 minutes left. With the lack of flavor, I feel I probably shouldn't take a guess as I suppose it was just a bad cigar.

I'll be smoking cigar C tomorrow - I should have time.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Well, I got to cigar B tonight while finishing up Plato's Phaedo. Absolutely fantastic read, btw.

Bardyard and hay smell before the lighting up. Wrapper was thinner than cigar A, so definitely not Nicaraguan. My guess would be Honduran or Dominican. Lighter shade, but not as light as a Connecticut. Possibly a sun grown, not sure. Lots of deep veins, a few imperfections. Cut with my Xicar as usual. Nice pre-light draw.

So sadly, the flavor was very light in this one. For the first 25 minutes all I could pick up was hay and paper. Almost non-existent. After that, there was a little leather that came up, but still very bland. I gave her a solid 45 minutes to see if it would pick up, but I put it down with a good 30 minutes left. With the lack of flavor, I feel I probably shouldn't take a guess as I suppose it was just a bad cigar.

Got to keep Phaedo in mind. I'm currently busy going through The Wheel of Time Series.

Well, your review was spot on. The cigar in question was called "Original Cubans," a cheap bundled cigar that I bought in case moochers wanted a smoke. You know the type- they'll light a cigar up, puff on it for 5 minutes and then abandon it. I think I got it for about $1 a stick.

Looking forward to your review of Cigar C.
  • Options
    Heh, Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper, Dominican. You are hilarious that you give those out to moochers. For about the same price (ok, $2 a stick), you can grab 5 Vegas Golds - they might actually enjoy the cigar, and best of all you can smoke them yourself! It's raining, not sure if cigar C will happen today. I'll get to it if I can, though.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Heh, Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper, Dominican. You are hilarious that you give those out to moochers. For about the same price (ok, $2 a stick), you can grab 5 Vegas Golds - they might actually enjoy the cigar, and best of all you can smoke them yourself! It's raining, not sure if cigar C will happen today. I'll get to it if I can, though.
    I've always thought sun grown wrappers are stronger. I didn't notice any sort of strength when I tried one.

Man, if I bought 5 Vegas Golds, I wouldn't be handing them out! To me, it's a matter of principle- I'm not going to let people waste a good cigar (no matter how cheap it may be), especially if its people that don't appreciate what goes into a cigar. Of course I should give newcomers a fair chance. Maybe I'll give out Golds to first-time moochers and crappy bundled cigars to the veteran moochers.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    TatuajeVI:

great review tat!
  • Options
    So cigar C looked much nicer than B, lol. It was a big one, too. 6x60 or so would be my guess. I would guess Nicaraguan again, due to the thickness of it. Probably habano, medium in shade and a wonderful tobacco smell to it. Cut it with my Xicar. Nice pre-light draw.

When I lit this one up, I knew I was in for a powerful smoke. It was a spicy first five minutes. It settled down after a bit, into a wonderful full flavor. Earthy, slightly sweet, but not much, something else I can’t put my finger on that was really nice. I’m really glad I decided to eat something before lighting this one up. Full bodied for sure. A nice creaminess started coming on at about 15 minutes in. Faded after ten minutes or so, got spicier again. Out the nose, not in the back of the throat. It’s managed to stay spicy without being harsh. It maintained a really nice earthy core, and flavors came and went that were very nice. i really enjoyed this one, and have a really nice buzz after finishing it.

My guess is a Man o War Ruination.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    So cigar C looked much nicer than B, lol. It was a big one, too. 6x60 or so would be my guess. I would guess Nicaraguan again, due to the thickness of it. Probably habano, medium in shade and a wonderful tobacco smell to it. Cut it with my Xicar. Nice pre-light draw.

When I lit this one up, I knew I was in for a powerful smoke. It was a spicy first five minutes. It settled down after a bit, into a wonderful full flavor. Earthy, slightly sweet, but not much, something else I can’t put my finger on that was really nice. I’m really glad I decided to eat something before lighting this one up. Full bodied for sure. A nice creaminess started coming on at about 15 minutes in. Faded after ten minutes or so, got spicier again. Out the nose, not in the back of the throat. It’s managed to stay spicy without being harsh. It maintained a really nice earthy core, and flavors came and went that were very nice. i really enjoyed this one, and have a really nice buzz after finishing it.

My guess is a Man o War Ruination.
    WOW I want one!LOL Great review whatever it was , I have never had a Man o War but if thats what it was Im going looking for one! LOL