Home Pipes

What did you get today?

Comments

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Keep us updated on the progress, Rusty. Too cool!

@Jrflickster
    Got the holes drilled and the stem fitted...

Then cut it down to a workable piece and found this....

Internal crack that couldn’t be seen from the outside. It goes all the way through the area for the shank and from what I can tell will go into the air hole.
    Back to square one

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was looking really great until that bud

@Jrflickster said:
    It was looking really great until that bud

Thanks...everything I’ve read says that it just happens. The wood is so hard that internal cracks can be anywhere and you never know until you expose them. Oh well. I’ll try again.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good practice pipe nonetheless. Try filling the crack with a mix of briar dust and epoxy and keep carving. Be good practice and help you refine your technique and shaping. Also, on the next one try to move the draft hole to the bottom of the bowl, drill it first and then bore the bowl until it just meets.

@silvermouse said:
    A good practice pipe nonetheless. Try filling the crack with a mix of briar dust and epoxy and keep carving. Be good practice and help you refine your technique and shaping. Also, on the next one try to move the draft hole to the bottom of the bowl, drill it first and then bore the bowl until it just meets.

Good idea to fill it and continue for the practice. That’s actually how I bore the holes. The sketch isn’t very accurate...but they met up nicely.

Let us know what you think about the Rustics, @Rdp77

Will do Edward.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

elegant

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Hope you enjoy them Edward. I wouldn’t advise smoking the Rustica on an empty stomach lol. It has a little kick but I thoroughly enjoy it.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 26,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done, Steve!

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun Larry! @genareddog

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

Beautiful! Though it looks like a heavily redacted document at first glance.

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here comes a couple noob questions. Do most of you guys store your tobacco in mason jar type containers? With a boveda pack in them? What size containers?

If fresh and in good condition when stored in glass no boveda is needed. I have some jars with decades on them that are as moist as when I jarred them up.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 26,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I use small mason jars for what I smoke out of and 7 ply Mylar gusseted bags from TopMylar for longer term storage or when I run out of jelly jars. I don't use Bovedas with my pipe tobacco.

I use their single serving Mylar bag for up to 4 oz of tobacco. I also have pint and gallon bags. The gallon bags are mostly for food but also fit 1 # bags of tobacco.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )