Home Pipes
Options

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Care to share your thoughts on War Horse?  I've tried the new Bengal Slices and really like it. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    War Horse--starts off mild-medium and a touch sweet with the VA leading, it's very lightly topped but certainly not an aromatic. The constituents are well balanced. Gradually builds in strength, burley overtaking the VA mid-bowl, Kentucky and perique weaving in and out. I like it when I am not in the mood for a powerhouse blend. 
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll probably give it a try down the road. I smoke mostly Latakia blends but the Perique in War Horse sounds like it would hold my interest. 
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bosun Cut Plug in a meer. 
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunhill,early morning pipe.
    In a Peterson Dublin castle 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    McClelland #25, I like the taste and strength okay but still have not been able to figure out how to smoke this one, it either burns hot or wont stay lit, it seems to be cut very fine yet it's still course, it's like a cube cut flake. I have been doing a gravity feed with just a light tap on the bowl to settle it, so far I have tried bowls from .7 to .8 in width and 1.25 to 2 deep. 
  • Options
    Have you tried spreading out and drying the tobacco for a while before smoking it?  You can put it under an incandescent bulb or on a warm surface if need be, that should help it burn better if it's too wet to start with.
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    Have you tried spreading out and drying the tobacco for a while before smoking it?  You can put it under an incandescent bulb or on a warm surface if need be, that should help it burn better if it's too wet to start with.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if it is a moisture issue or not, it feels like it should be dry enough as is , not quite crunchy but close. I still have a hard time gaging flakes and some of the thicker cuts.
  • Options
    ERR in a Tsuge natural bent brandy
  • Options
    Three Nuns in a Mark Twain cob
  • Options
     Popped a tin of HH Old Dark Fired from March of 2013 the other day, the tin was almost rusted thru and starting to bleed into the foil, I checked another one and found the same thing, went ahead and jarred all of mine. If any of ya'll have tins of this from 2012 -13 keep an eye on em. 
  • Options
    you're not the only one with the rusted-ODF-tin issue, I don't know what the problem was (is?) with that blend, MacBaren tins up a lot of different flakes that don't eat metal....
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got to opening the jar of Penzance and smoking it in my new no name Italian briar (a 9 mm marked M.T. -- smokes well)

Yowza this stuff is tasty. 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    McClellands 2045, This is an Oriental forward Eng. blend, the Lat mostly stay in the background and complements the Oriental and Va's. Spicy/sweet I like it a lot! 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McClellands 2045, This is an Oriental forward Eng. blend, the Lat mostly stay in the background and complements the Oriental and Va's. Spicy/sweet I like it a lot! 
    That sounds good.  I love McClelland 5110 Dark English, smoke it almost daily, and have been looking to try others from them.  That may be next.  The "Frogs" are all good, of course, but not sold in bulk.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Squadron Leader in my estate burl with espresso and peanut butter cookies waiting for my daughter to finish with the tutor. image
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up this stuff called CandyCane Cocoa and it is amazing. So good I had to buy an additional 6 ounces. Like smoking hot cocoa but it leaves your mouth all minty. Very pleasant and probably my favorite tobacco now. also had this stuff called Snow Drift which I loaded up on as well. Filled up my Viaje jars with them. 
  • Options
    Old Toby. Tasty.

Cuppa (light) brown water @peter4jc
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Match Amphora in one of my no name Italian bent. Tasty ribbon cut blend
  • Options
    Three Nuns in a Sav Autograph
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a corncob and a half ounce of Royal Vikings to chew on while I'm in CA.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Some Motzec Strang in the Walther. 
  • Options
    This stuff is like a citrus creamcicle

• Options
    Solana ABF , it's a little bit humid this morning. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upside down all the things?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Lane 1Q in my pocket pipe after lunch on the back patio at work, not enough time for a cigar but enough time to puff on a pipe before my afternoon meeting.

I was going to smoke it on a longer walk along the river trail back from lunch but a storm is blowing in and the wind was too much, we even had to cancel today's tower work because of the winds.
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying my first pipe with some Bayou Morning thanks to @onestrangeone

• Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great view 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnnyB said:
    That's a great view 
    Thanks! Sitting on the deck just outside of our sun porch. I am thankful my family gets to wake up to that every day now.