Options

(almost) all inclusive guide to cigar etiquette, kuzi style

1235»

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

@raidermike said:
    Thank you for the post. I've learned a lot in a short period of time and learned even more from reading this!

Concerning supporting my local B&M (which has a smoker's lounge), I have indeed purchased many sample packs in the past from them. Though I do not buy every time I use and enjoy their lounge, I do try to keep a mental tally of how many time I use their lounge vs how many cigars I've purchased from them.

Is this appropriate? Thanks

No, it's not. Only smoke what you buy there on that trip. The only plausible exception to this is if you pay for a membership there and have locker priveleges, or if it's expressly written on signs there that outside smokes are welcomed.

It's not even really appropriate to buy one there and then smoke a different one that you brought with you while stashing your new purchase OR smoke one there that you bought from that same shop last time.

Some guys here are barstool regulars at their shops and so can get away with, or are encouraged to bring their own stuff. That's not you though, I'm guessing.

Some guys on the forum will disagree, but none of these guys own cigar shops. (neither do I).

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@raidermike said:
    Thank you for the post. I've learned a lot in a short period of time and learned even more from reading this!

Concerning supporting my local B&M (which has a smoker's lounge), I have indeed purchased many sample packs in the past from them. Though I do not buy every time I use and enjoy their lounge, I do try to keep a mental tally of how many time I use their lounge vs how many cigars I've purchased from them.

Is this appropriate? Thanks

No, it's not. Only smoke what you buy there on that trip. The only plausible exception to this is if you pay for a membership there and have locker priveleges, or if it's expressly written on signs there that outside smokes are welcomed.

It's not even really appropriate to buy one there and then smoke a different one that you brought with you while stashing your new purchase OR smoke one there that you bought from that same shop last time.

Some guys here are barstool regulars at their shops and so can get away with, or are encouraged to bring their own stuff. That's not you though, I'm guessing.

Some guys on the forum will disagree, but none of these guys own cigar shops. (neither do I).

When I go to a lounge, I often buy some stuff, and then smoke something I brought. The stuff I buy in total is always worth more than what I end up smoking. Can you explain your thinking here, about why that wouldn't be appropriate? I'm not a barstool regular so I didn't realize it was frowned upon, I just figured when people said that, that they meant don't buy a Ghurka and smoke a Padron that you brought.

• Options

So my lounge's owner doesn't like it because essentially, the message you're sending to the rest of the guys in the lounge is that, "there's nothing here for sale that I want to smoke." Often, guys will talk about what they're smoking, make recommendations, etc.

You're recommending that they buy elsewhere, yes even if you bought something there. So if you would buy something there, why wouldn't you smoke it? If it's too "wet," you're bagging on how the shop keeps it's humidor. If it's not "aged" enough your also implicitly criticizing the stock.

And if you bring in a Cuban or some rare exclusive, you come off as "uppity."

Of course, there are some occasional exceptions. One year, me and a couple of buddies piled into a b&m on a Tuesday morning to exchange scotch and smokes (no pun intended). We bought some stuff, then had a gift exchange of smokes and booze that we didn't buy there (our lounge doesn't sell liquor). While we bought stuff, I smoked the family reserve from the sampler box my buddy bought me, etc. Prolly not 200 percent right but a one time good deal and we didn't abuse it.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

@VegasFrank

If I buy a 10 cigar pack for $150-$200 at my local Smoker Friendly, I feel I've:
    A) done due diligence to support the B&M and
    B ) therefore have earned the privilege of smoking those 10 cigars in their lounge at my leisure over a period of time.

I'll ask the manager, Josh, the next time I see him how he feels about it. He's pretty laid back as well are the folks who frequent there. Hell, we're even encouraged to BYOB!

I'm not trying to be right but hell, I don't wanna be wrong either! Haha I'll let you know...

Things are about to get interesting...

• Options
    edited February 2021

Typical Avs fan.....

Just kidding Mike. I understand where you're coming from. It's a logical point of view. But what happens when you buy 200 bucks of product on Tuesday from Joey the nice clerk, and then on Friday when Jimmy the nice clerk is working, you roll back into the lounge without hitting the humidor? Are you going to tell Jimmy that you bought them from Joey? If Jimmy has to uphold the policy of no outside sticks, are you going to put them in the awkward spot? What are the other guys in the lounge going to think? What about the first time lounge guy? You've set a bad example for him and he doesn't know it.

When I want to go into a lounge, I'll just buy a stick there that day that trip. It doesn't cost a shitload of money. I'll buy a house stick or something that I cannot possibly find online like an old TAA stick or something. This way I'm not rubbing the policy the wrong way, I put the store clerks at ease, and I use it how it was intended to be used. No biggie.

And I don't know that making a $200 purchase entitles me to use a lounge for the rest of the month for essentially free. The guy did open up the place to sell cigars after all. Maybe I don't buy 200 bucks of product on Tuesday. Maybe I just buy what I smoke there.

But you have the right idea. Ask the guy if it's okay. He'll tell you. If he's okay with it, then smoke on brother!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin said:
    Do not eat a sack of White Castles then go and fart in the lounge!
    Big no no

Is a Burger King fart OK?

• Options
    PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I don't know if this was already mentioned or not but don't borrow someone's cutter and slobber all over the cigar before cutting. Someone did that to me and it really irked me. Had to wash my cutter before I could use it again.

This is troubling that this must be said

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    I don't know if this was already mentioned or not but don't borrow someone's cutter and slobber all over the cigar before cutting. Someone did that to me and it really irked me. Had to wash my cutter before I could use it again.

This is why.... I always carry my own.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@ShawnOL said:

This is why.... I always carry my own.

Slobbery cutter?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Good read thanks!

• Options

Good read thanks!

• Options

Good read thanks!

• Options
    SampsonSampson Posts: 94 ✭✭✭✭

@Yakster thanks for bumping and suggesting this. great read my favorite part is the perpetual newbie. Not enough humble people out there willing to learn from others.