Home Pipes
Options

Pipe tips for Cigar People, what we've learned...

123457»

Comments

• Options
    HawksHawks Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5

@OutdoorsSmoke_21191 said:
    Any suggestions for flavors to experiment with are welcome and appreciated.

Oh yeah! Let's open those floodgates! WOOO! 🤘🤘🤘

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5

For two years now I have ‘played’ with pipe smoking. For reasons of plain ignorance and impatience I try for a bit then put away for awhile and repeat the process. Now after reading this forum and getting educated I feel more positive and confident about my pipe smoking journey. Currently, I have two pipes (cheap ones). One for aromatics and one for non aromatics. Any suggestions for flavors to experiment with are welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As indicated above, the possibilities are overwhelming. As you proceed, pay attention to what you find that you like. I don't know if it's still out there, but there was a video you could look up called "The Frank Method" for loading and lighting your pipe. I found it very helpful.

As you figure out what you like remember the category that they were described as, but remember that there will still be wide variations. One "Oriental" pipe tobacco may be very different from the next. Same goes for "English", "Balkan", etc.

So, you have to look at the components. An important one is to find out if you like Latakia, as it is integral to many mixtures. I love it, and well over 90% of what I smoke will have Latakia in it. Usually English or Balkan mixtures, for me. Some people hate it, claim it tastes like burnt plastic or something. My brother in law was one of those.

Same goes for Perique, another major component. Pretty much any tobacco you find that has key words like "St. James" or "Voodoo" in the name will include perique. Many tobaccos are essentially Virginia / Perique mixtures, you'll see these called VaPers. Two of those that I like particularly are Robert McConnell Folded Flake, and Capstan.

Keep your pipes clean. At the very least I run a pipe cleaner through from stem to bowl, and then pull it through the bowl, don't pull it back out the stem. If you find that your pipe won't let you push it all the way through, leave it until cool and then remove the stem and push it on through. Some pipes you can remove the stem while hot, Army Mount and Spigot, Peterson System pipes are all examples of these. Most pipes, wait at least an hour or so before pulling the stem.

On the subject of heat, don't let the pipe get too hot while smoking. You should be able to comfortably touch the side of the bowl to your cheek. If you can't, slow down, or put it aside for awhile. When you return to it, take your pipe tool and lightly stir up the white ash on top and dump it before relighting. You can't do this with System Pipes, because you'll dump moisture into the stem. Most times the relight will be about as good as when you started. Very different from cigars.

Diameter, depth, quality of the briar will all have an effect on how an individual pipe smokes. The end result is that a particular tobacco may smoke better for you in one pipe than another. Lighter briar, weight and density, is usually better. Remember, each one was a living thing and there are always variations.

Briar pipes will need a resting period after a bowl or three, usually at least 24 hours, maybe more. The moisture accumulated from smoking needs time to air out. Meerschaums and Corn Cobs are not as susceptible to this, but have other weaknesses of their own. They're fragile, and Cobs burn out in time. Not so with briar. I have a Dunhill that Rusty directed me to that was made in 1971, Yak has some that are much older, probably Stubble, too. Edward for sure.

Take your time, be patient, if you're getting any smoke at all use your tamper and draw before resorting to re-light.

Show us a picture of the pipes you have. Don't be embarrassed if they're cheap, two of my very best smoking pipes cost me less than $50.

Be careful looking at pipes on sites like Pipes & Cigars or Smokingpipes, Pipe Acquisition Syndrome is real. I myself only have about 25 or so. For now. There are others who've delved deeper into the Rabbit Hole than I. I noticed you'd reached out to JSnake, I think that ship may have sailed, but he would have been a great source for you.

Good luck.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    OutdoorsSmoke_21191OutdoorsSmoke_21191 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat TYVM. I look forward to the journey 🤙🏼

A good cigar and whiskey solve most problems.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat for the win with the fire hose. Full bale, straight stream, forget the other positions.
    I, too, have to keep my acquisition disorder at bay. Though, I lean more toward tobacco than the pipes.
    Latakia: if you enjoy smokey bourbons, scotches and mezcals, you will probably like Latakia and dark fired Kentucky, too.
    Oh and BTW... Heads up. 😉

• Options

Good advice. I'll take it. 👍

• Options

Best prices websites for fresh pipes. Not opposed to reconditioned. Trying really hard not to look at all those beautiful and expensive pipes. They sure are purdy though.

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    @OutdoorsSmoke_21191 My only advice is to never agree to take any pipe tobacco from @Stubble.

Too late…inbound 🤣

• Options

^^^ Heads up.

• Options

@silvermouse said:

Best prices websites for fresh pipes. Not opposed to reconditioned. Trying really hard not to look at all those beautiful and expensive pipes. They sure are purdy though.

What shapes do you favor, asking for a friend....

@silvermouse ,Edward, honestly not sure yet. So many beautiful shapes, profiles, sizes, wood species, ornament, metals, carvings, grain patterns….I could go on and on. I’m leaning toward a modest Nording Erik hunter model. As a woodworker, I do lean toward rustic exposed (raised) grain and matte finishes rather than high polish finishes. I’m still looking and trying to be practical (not my strong suit when I set my mind on something…all in all the way).

• Options

• Options
    edited February 6

You may want to look for Estate pipes on whatever site. Smokingpipes has lots, I think I got my Dunhill Pickaxe, which was an estate pipe, from B&B. @Rdp77 recommended it as I was l u s t i n g after the newest Dunhill pickaxe but not the price and he sent me a link.

I love the look of smooth finish, and the feel as well, until they get hot. Brushed, sandblasted, rustic finishes will remain cooler in your hand. It's a matter of surface area. Back in the 80's / 90's I was constantly modifying my Harley and considered having the cylinder fins removed or maybe just having the rough casting refinished, because it looked so cool. Then I read some stats on how much hotter just polishing the fins down made the engine run. Surface area.

Oh yeah, you should probably wait before investing a bunch of money in tobacco. That's a hint.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited February 6

The censor-bot is out of control. Must have been programmed by someone's maiden aunt.

• Options

Something else to remember when buying a pipe, a $200 pipe will still be with you in 10 - 40 or 50 years, even if you smoke it frequently. A $200 box of cigars? Not so much.

• Options

Some pipe manufacturers styles I like (not necessarily afford) Davorin Denovic, Kristiansen, Dunhill, L’anatra, Nording, Viprati and many others. I like some of the Japanese styles too.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

You may want to look for Estate pipes on whatever site. Smokingpipes has lots, I think I got my Dunhill Pickaxe, which was an estate pipe, from B&B. @Rdp77 recommended it as I was l u s t i n g after the newest Dunhill pickaxe but not the price and he sent me a link.

It wasn't B&B. Now I don't remember where it was, and can't seem to find it. Bluebank? Bluenote? Bluebriar? Well crap! Ask Rusty.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

It wasn't B&B. Now I don't remember where it was, and can't seem to find it. Bluebank? Bluenote? Bluebriar? Well crap! Ask Rusty.

Blue Room Briars

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

@Stubble said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Blue Room Briars

Yeah, I finally found it, and then the forum was down for awhile.

While I'm at it, I mistakenly indicated Capstan and Robt. McConnell's Virginia flake as being VaPers. They're just straight Virginia I believe. The rest of what I said about VaPers should still stand.