Home Non Cigar Related
Options

College Footbal Season

Comments

• Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I know it's early, but it looks like Miami might be poised for a pretty big run this year. I'm so ready for the Texas-Texas Tech game. I honestly feel like this game can determine whether or not A)Texas makes it to/wins the NC and B) Colt McCoy wins the Heisman. Not to discount the OU game, but the lone loss to Tech last season dashed our chances. I really feel like this team needs this win, and they more than likely need to win big.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I agree with you on that one. Even though it is a rivalry game and its hard as hell to pick those. I'm putting my money on Texas. If they win and win against Oklahoma I'm picking them to win Big 12 against Nebraska, NC against Florida and would love to see McCoy win heisman. Should have won it last year but Stoops never pulled Bradford, and let him pad his stats. To bad its hurting them now never letting the back up have any snaps. Wait..... its Oklahoma feeling bad for them would be like feeling bad for Mizzou. Its never going to happen. GBR
  • Options
    Thewelder:
    I agree with you on that one. Even though it is a rivalry game and its hard as hell to pick those. I'm putting my money on Texas. If they win and win against Oklahoma I'm picking them to win Big 12 against Nebraska, NC against Florida and would love to see McCoy win heisman. Should have won it last year but Stoops never pulled Bradford, and let him pad his stats. To bad its hurting them now never letting the back up have any snaps. Wait..... its Oklahoma feeling bad for them would be like feeling bad for Mizzou. Its never going to happen. GBR
    Bradford was still more than deserving of the Heisman, and the issue with his shoulder this season has nothing to do with last season. He should've entered the draft, when his stock was soaring high, instead of coming back to no O-Line and nobody to throw the ball to.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    Suspect, should be a great game Saturday, but our special teams is going to win it. On the foot of Henry our kicker. Sould be great game down to the final whistle.

HOKIE! HOKIE! HOKIE! HI! RAE RI VPI!

I really can't believe Virginia Tech pulled it out this weekend. I was so ready to give up on them saying, "If the coaches don't care that the offense is one of the worst in the country then I don't care either!" About 30 seconds later Taylor hit Coale down the side line to set up the go ahead score! I was jumping up and down in my living room screaming "I knew they could do it! I knew they could do it!" LOL
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    Thewelder:
    Suspect, should be a great game Saturday, but our special teams is going to win it. On the foot of Henry our kicker. Sould be great game down to the final whistle.

HOKIE! HOKIE! HOKIE! HI! RAE RI VPI!

I really can't believe Virginia Tech pulled it out this weekend. I was so ready to give up on them saying, "If the coaches don't care that the offense is one of the worst in the country then I don't care either!" About 30 seconds later Taylor hit Coale down the side line to set up the go ahead score! I was jumping up and down in my living room screaming "I knew they could do it! I knew they could do it!" LOL
    Thank God y'all beat Miami... I was getting sick of hearing about how the U was back. You wanna be the best, ya gotta beat the best, and VT owns the ACC.

Bama had another great weekend, and I may be biased, but I think Greg McElroy deserves some Heisman hype. Last weekend he had a 225 QB rating, this weekend it was 213. I havent' looked it up, but that has to be up there with the top QB's in the country. We'll have to replace Dont'a Hightower sadly. Looks like he has ligament damage in his knee and is out for the season. I hate to see us lose a playmaker of his quality, but Saban will just stick in another blue-chipper. Dre Kirkpatrick, Cory Reamer, and Courtney Upshaw are all quality MLB.

AS for Tebow, I hate to see that kind of injury to anyone. Hopefully he recovers quickly. I wouldn't want to hear UF fans making excuses when we win the SEC and BCS national title!
  • Options
    I hope no one is over looking our freshman running back, Ryan Williams, for the Heisman. This kid looks phenominal and he's only going to get better. Crazy thing is we have a couple other guys sitting behind him who are just as good. Here's the stats through game 4:

Rushing Statistics
    Carries 84, Yards 492, YPC 5.9, Long 57 (TD), TDs 8

Receiving Statistics
    Receptions 6, Yards 120, YPR 20, Long 43, TDs 0

So after 4 games, that's 612 yards rushing/receiving with 8 touchdowns. Keep in mind, the only sleeper is Marshall, the rest has been against Alabama, Nebraska, and Miami. I can't wait to see what his totals look like at the end of the year.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    It's not that I think the Big Ten is better, I just don't pay attention to most of the other teams outside our conference, so I am feeling a bit left out from this discussion, lol. Looks like there are a couple Buckeye fans, so I am not completely alone! But where are the Michigan members of this forum? Am I the only one?

I am just excited Michigan is playing relatively well. Last year sucked, lol. Anyone not paying attention to Tate Forcier should be shot - the kid is phenomenal for a Freshman and has a ton of potential. Heisman candidate for 2011, heh. It is going to be an interesting season when we hit Penn State and OSU. I doubt we'll win, but they will be a lot more fun to watch than last years games.
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I'm mad that Miami couldn't pull it off. Now I have to listen how Va tech is a top ten awesome team. No they aren't they are a good top 20 team. Miami aloud more yards in the first quarter then Nebraska did in the entire game. Maybe its just sour grapes that we can't finish a game. More than likely. Speaking of Big 10 and Penn state proves that they are still Iowa's ****
  • Options
    Thewelder:
    I'm sorry but I'm mad that Miami couldn't pull it off. Now I have to listen how Va tech is a top ten awesome team. No they aren't they are a good top 20 team. Miami aloud more yards in the first quarter then Nebraska did in the entire game. Maybe its just sour grapes that we can't finish a game. More than likely. Speaking of Big 10 and Penn state proves that they are still Iowa's ****
    I think some of the key players (Tyrod Taylor and Cam Chancellor) finally pulled their heads out of the **** and they actually played up to their abilities. There was a reason why Tech was ranked #7 in the country when they entered the season. They just didn't play like it until this weekend. And I don't think any other team in the country has the running-back by committee that VT does this year. All Miami saw was Ryan Williams, and Oglesby once or twice. They didn't even unleash David Wilson who is just as good, if not better, than Ryan Williams.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Big shout out to the Buckeye's. Can't say much for their offense that past couple weeks, but two shut-outs in a row is great to see(first time since 96 for OSU). Looks like more defense and special teams from Tressel this year, doubtful to win a BCS championship, but great chance for another Big Ten Title.
  • Options
    bbc020:
    Big shout out to the Buckeye's. Can't say much for their offense that past couple weeks, but two shut-outs in a row is great to see(first time since 96 for OSU). Looks like more defense and special teams from Tressel this year, doubtful to win a BCS championship, but great chance for another Big Ten Title.
    Funny, Michigan looks like it will be a strange match-up this year. Michigan's offense is decent, and has a lot of solid (but young) offensive players. Defense hasn't been doing well at all. I'm hoping that means Michigan can put points up and Pryor doesn't kill our defense, lol. I have my doubts, but it will definitely be a fun game to watch.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    I hope no one is over looking our freshman running back, Ryan Williams, for the Heisman. This kid looks phenominal and he's only going to get better. Crazy thing is we have a couple other guys sitting behind him who are just as good. Here's the stats through game 4:

Rushing Statistics

Receiving Statistics

So after 4 games, that's 612 yards rushing/receiving with 8 touchdowns. Keep in mind, the only sleeper is Marshall, the rest has been against Alabama, Nebraska, and Miami. I can't wait to see what his totals look like at the end of the year.
    He's good, but when playing a top defense, Bama, VT only gained 64 yards total rushing. Nebraska, Marshall, and Miami all have been suspect on defense, even though I wish Nebraska would get back to the "blackshirt" days.

My grief is with McElroy being left out of the discussion. He's got 7 TDs, 1 interception, 938 passing yards, and a rating of 175.3 and the average is only drug down by the 1st quarter at VT, his first quarter of play ever as a starter. He also didn't play the second half of the FIU or NT games. The past two weeks his qb rating was 233 and 215. He's also gone 91 passes without an interception so far. That has to be up there with McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, and Robinson (edit*** just checked, he has more yardage than Tebow and more TD passes, and his qb rating is well above any of those guys who are named contenders so far).
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    It's not that I think the Big Ten is better, I just don't pay attention to most of the other teams outside our conference, so I am feeling a bit left out from this discussion, lol. Looks like there are a couple Buckeye fans, so I am not completely alone! But where are the Michigan members of this forum? Am I the only one?

I am just excited Michigan is playing relatively well. Last year sucked, lol. Anyone not paying attention to Tate Forcier should be shot - the kid is phenomenal for a Freshman and has a ton of potential. Heisman candidate for 2011, heh. It is going to be an interesting season when we hit Penn State and OSU. I doubt we'll win, but they will be a lot more fun to watch than last years games.
    Tat...I'm a Michigan fan (Pitt and Penn State too). Forcier single-handedly beat Notre Dame. I'm not a big fan of Rich Rodriguez, but Forcier is exactly the right type of QB for his system and you're right, over the next few years, you'll be hearing a lot from him. Still, I miss Lloyd Carr.
  • Options
    Luko:
    TatuajeVI:

Tat...I'm a Michigan fan (Pitt and Penn State too). Forcier single-handedly beat Notre Dame. I'm not a big fan of Rich Rodriguez, but Forcier is exactly the right type of QB for his system and you're right, over the next few years, you'll be hearing a lot from him. Still, I miss Lloyd Carr.
    They are complete opposites, but I really like the both. I think Rodriguez is a genius, you just won't see it until he's been at Michigan another year or two. His play calling is pretty unique and always fun to watch. And complicated. You saw that with his young team last year when they couldn't run the offense. And a little bit ballsy. The thing I hated about Carr is he had no testicles whatsoever. Carr was and will always be one of the greatest college coaches of all time, but I cannot tell you how often I was up on my feet screaming at my TV with him as coach.
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    clearlysuspect:

Rushing Statistics

Receiving Statistics

He's good, but when playing a top defense, Bama, VT only gained 64 yards total rushing. Nebraska, Marshall, and Miami all have been suspect on defense, even though I wish Nebraska would get back to the "blackshirt" days.

My grief is with McElroy being left out of the discussion. He's got 7 TDs, 1 interception, 938 passing yards, and a rating of 175.3 and the average is only drug down by the 1st quarter at VT, his first quarter of play ever as a starter. He also didn't play the second half of the FIU or NT games. The past two weeks his qb rating was 233 and 215. He's also gone 91 passes without an interception so far. That has to be up there with McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, and Robinson (edit*** just checked, he has more yardage than Tebow and more TD passes, and his qb rating is well above any of those guys who are named contenders so far).
    I won't disagree with you about McElroy. I completely underestimated him at the beginning of the season and boy was I wrong. He's definately a solid QB. AS for Williams not putting up numbers against Bama, he put almost all those yards up in the first half. Our idiot offensive coordinator has a really bad habit of abandonning the run way too early. Plus Alabama probably has the best defense in the country this year. In my book, they should be #1.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's about Mizzou's Blaine Gabbert 11 passing TDs, 1161 passing yards, 0 interceptions, 2 rushing TDs, & QB Rating: 168.57. MIZZOU!!
  • Options

jsnake:
    How's about Mizzou's Blaine Gabbert 11 passing TDs, 1161 passing yards, 0 interceptions, 2 rushing TDs, & QB Rating: 168.57. MIZZOU!!

Aren't real numbers, play a real D-1 team. Just like you are October 8th. I'm kidding, gotta respect a kid coming out there for the first time staying cool and being able to put up numbers like that. I hope he can keep it up, we can get a way from bradford and McCoy and hear about someone else in the BIG12.

• Options
    ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC!!!!
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Geaux Tigers!
  • Options
    jsnake:
    I have a feeling that Mizzou QB's are going to have the same stigma Texas Tech QB's have had for the past decade, and that's being a system quarterback. This hurts their chances of winning any Heisman trophies. It's good to see that he's stepping up and taking over for Chase Daniel though. I like for all of the Big 12 teams to be able to contend on a yearly basis.

Except for OU.

I'm pretty bummed that Baylor's Robert Griffin is out for the year. I really expected him to bring some relevancy to Waco and be a Heisman candidate this year. Hopefully, Art Briles can rally these kids and still have a successful season. It wouldn't surprise me, because that man is a helluva coach.
  • Options
    So this question is for Jsnake mainly because I know he is a Mizzou fan and the only one on the board. I know with everything going on between our teams the past few years and the amount of weight being carried on this game. Do you and the rest of the fans consider this thursday to be a rivaly game. I know we do up here, mainly the younger fans such as myself who are to young to remember going up against OU every year. I was just wanting to get your two cents on the issue. GBR
  • Options
    I'm sorry I have to after that fourth quarter, even though we sucked the first 3. There's no place like Nebraska. GO BIG RED
  • Options
    Mizzou is a bunch of ^%#^ $@^&#* #^#&@^@ ^#%@%@$!&@(#@^&!*&@&!. Only thing they are consistent at is the big let down. F U MIZZOU til next year. Going to my backup team Iowa. I know, I know, only 1 game blah blah blah.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    Mizzou is a bunch of ^%#^ $@^&#* #^#&@^@ ^#%@%@$!&@(#@^&!*&@&!. Only thing they are consistent at is the big let down. F U MIZZOU til next year. Going to my backup team Iowa. I know, I know, only 1 game blah blah blah.
    I'm sorry jake but best post ever. Iowa doesn't win pretty but my god they do win. If they had an offense they would be the team to beat. Thats for sure
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    10/10 picks:
    Bama over Ole Siss 31-10
    LSU over UF 20-17
    Georgia over UT 34-14
    Arkansas over Auburn 31-24
    VT over BC
    Wisconsin over OSU
    OU over Baylor
    Tex over Colorado
    GT over FSU
    Michigan over Iowa
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    A bunch of good games today! I need more TV's! GO JACKETS!!!!
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    cholmes8310:
    10/10 picks:
    Bama over Ole Siss 31-10
    LSU over UF 20-17
    Georgia over UT 34-14
    Arkansas over Auburn 31-24
    VT over BC
    Wisconsin over OSU
    OU over Baylor
    Tex over Colorado
    GT over FSU
    Michigan over Iowa
    Eh, pretty good weekend, couple teams let me down. BAMA won, and DOMINATED, which was great and moved them to #2 in the AP. As for the rest, 6-4 is not my best weekend ever. Michigan and Wisconsin didn't come to play, and UGA really really really let me down. I HATE Tennessee, and they absolutely trounced UGA. Oh well, guess BAMA will have to take it to them in two weeks.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm pretty pleased with the weekend as well. UT won, Texas Tech won, and the Aggies lost... Can't complain too much about that one! haha
  • Options
    ViseronViseron Posts: 35
    jsnake:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made fun of my mizzu lovin' cousin after their game with the huskers.
  • Options
    Viseron:
    jsnake:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made fun of my mizzu lovin' cousin after their game with the huskers.
    It wasn't just that they lost. They just sat down and gave up. EMBARRASSING!! Stupid Pinkel leaves in a hurt QB all game. KC Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Missouri Tigers all have one thing in common. Any day they can play like a top team and give you hope and excitement and then they just let you down and piss you off. Oh well Iowa won. If Mizzou can pull their heads out I will pull the cap back out of the closet. I can't wear it now though......just too embarrassing.