Home Cigar 101
Options

How do you pronounce this cigar name????!!!

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    jgibv:
    What about Illusione???

i -'lü - zh?n
    (like illusion?)

ill-loozh-e-o-nay. I'm not good with pronunciation keys (I'm a math teacher, afterall), but I think this should give you the right idea.
    I understand what you're getting at .... thanks.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    SleevePlz:
    jgibv:
    What about Illusione???

i -'lü - zh?n
    (like illusion?)

ill-loozh-e-o-nay. I'm not good with pronunciation keys (I'm a math teacher, afterall), but I think this should give you the right idea.
    I understand what you're getting at .... thanks.
    That one is annoying because there are a couple of common (mis)pronunciations, but that is how Dion himself pronounces it, so I'll take his lead.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    brianetz1:
    So Cohiba behike is pronounced bEE-hIke right?
    bee- hick -ay
    so like i gave my wife a bee hick ay on her ***?
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    kuzi16:
    brianetz1:
    So Cohiba behike is pronounced bEE-hIke right?
    bee- hick -ay
    so like i gave my wife a bee hick ay on her ***?
    Well done Brian!
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H is silent in spanish. The J replaces it. Cohiba Behike (ko-ee-ba, Be-ee-ke). Joya (hoya) Hoya (Oh -yah).
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Try this one out. Liga Privada ;)
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    lets try this one

Culebra
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    i still think that Kuzi should do a quick video tutorial, he seems to have this ish down to a science.
  • Options
    Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    i still think that Kuzi should do a quick video tutorial, he seems to have this ish down to a science.
    I so agree.. It would be better if we actually had someone we could hear pronouncing the words...
  • Options
    umbrella

Ive heard it said...

Omberilla!!!!
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    umbrella

Ive heard it said...

Omberilla!!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the other one i see people butchering is "L’Atelier"

"L-till-ee-ay"

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Avo Uvezian? A - voe or Ah - voe? And when we're talking the cigars, do we spell it out "A-V-O Classic" or do you pronounce his first name?
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    What about Avo Uvezian? A - voe or Ah - voe? And when we're talking the cigars, do we spell it out "A-V-O Classic" or do you pronounce his first name?
    Since people like to "hear" the pronunciation, I thought a video would be better.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    how do you pronouce ramon bueso? is it like rah-mon (like saying ya mon jamaican style)? Booso?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    how do you pronouce ramon bueso? is it like rah-mon (like saying ya mon jamaican style)? Booso?
    rah-moan boo-ay-so. I think.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    jliu:
    la moah boo ey sho. got it
  • Options
    jliu:
    Ken Light:
    jliu:
    Ramon like Razor Ramon. Bueso like cheese. Flied lice..... show me
  • Options

Ra-moan Boy-so

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

Ra-moan Boy-so

In spanish typically two vowels are not combined as they are in english, so they are annunciated separately, like the u and the e here. The u makes an "oo" sound as in boo and the e makes an "ay" sound as in "hay." You can hear Josh do this on the video the first time the name is spoken, though it is quick and nearly combined. My pronunciation, while correct, would probably sound more like an 8th grade spanish student fumbling with the language rather than being smooth like Josh here, but still, those sounds are both there. His smoother version comes out more "Bway-so" where the "oo" sound is truncated.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:

Ra-moan Boy-so

In spanish typically two vowels are not combined as they are in english, so they are annunciated separately, like the u and the e here. The u makes an "oo" sound as in boo and the e makes an "ay" sound as in "hay." You can hear Josh do this on the video the first time the name is spoken, though it is quick and nearly combined. My pronunciation, while correct, would probably sound more like an 8th grade spanish student fumbling with the language rather than being smooth like Josh here, but still, those sounds are both there. His smoother version comes out more "Bway-so" where the "oo" sound is truncated.
    Muy bueno.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    I know. I have fits with conojos. Love them.
    If you are talking about the Tat Cojonu's then they are pronounced Koh-ho-new and is Spanish slang termeaning "ballsy". No joke since I know it sounds like one lol but really really that is how it's pronounced and what it means ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Kuzi???

Cuzzie? Koozie? what does it mean???
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Kuzi???

Hahahaha LMFAO wow
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Kuzi???

I always figured KOOOOOOOzie. But I stutter every time I say yours, Drew.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    like the gun... Uzi...
    but with a "k" in front of it.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Ken Light:
    jliu:

that sounds sexy

Aj
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    deejmemixx:
    So I am sure many of you have sat looking at a cigar band and said to your self...how the FK do you say this word???? Is it Vag?? is it Veeeehaaaaaahaaayyyyy??? I ddunnnnooo???

I am sure there are smarter people on this forum that can help you pronunciate that word correctly so you dont feel like such a tool..... so help your brothers out and tell them how to say dem words correctly!
    Vee- ah -hey
    ddubridge:
    I was wondering how you say tatuaje. Tattooeee???
    Tat -ooh - ah - hey
    Toombes:
    What about "criollo"? Cree-yo-yo, maybe? Or cree-lo-ho? I give up...
    Cree - oh -yo
    ddubridge:
    what CAO. I think you pronounce it COW.
    yes. thats exactly right.

I respectfully disagree, Matt. CAO are the initials of Cano Ozgener who started the company. Cano (pronounced 'Johno') is (was?) an Armenian Turk. I've seen his full name in print and his middle initial is A. So the correct pronunciation would be C.A.O. just as the correct pronunciation of my initials would be J.L.M. Capisce?? I'm sure if someone wanted to look it up, they'd find that Mr. Ozgener's middle name starts with an A. ..... :-/)
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In fact, I went ahead and did some looking. Here's a copy of an excerpt of a Wikipedia article regarding Perdomo cigars:

In April 1999, Perdomo was approached by Cano A. Ozgener, head of C.A.O. International, with a proposition to produce its C.A.O. L'Anniversaire line, patterned after the legendary Partagas Serie D No. 4.Music [8] Ozgener was losing his manufacturing plant, Tabacalera Tambor of Costa Rica, manufacturer of the Bahia brand and needed a new partner to keep his popular product in production and Perdomo was chosen over other suitors.Music [8] A mutually beneficial partnership resulted which aided in the expansion of the Perdomo operation.

At least, this establishes Mr. Ozgener's middle initial as 'A'......
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    kuzi16:
    deejmemixx:
    So I am sure many of you have sat looking at a cigar band and said to your self...how the FK do you say this word???? Is it Vag?? is it Veeeehaaaaaahaaayyyyy??? I ddunnnnooo???

I am sure there are smarter people on this forum that can help you pronunciate that word correctly so you dont feel like such a tool..... so help your brothers out and tell them how to say dem words correctly!
    Vee- ah -hey
    ddubridge:
    I was wondering how you say tatuaje. Tattooeee???
    Tat -ooh - ah - hey
    Toombes:
    What about "criollo"? Cree-yo-yo, maybe? Or cree-lo-ho? I give up...
    Cree - oh -yo
    ddubridge:
    what CAO. I think you pronounce it COW.
    yes. thats exactly right.

I respectfully disagree, Matt. CAO are the initials of Cano Ozgener who started the company. Cano (pronounced 'Johno') is (was?) an Armenian Turk. I've seen his full name in print and his middle initial is A. So the correct pronunciation would be C.A.O. just as the correct pronunciation of my initials would be J.L.M. Capisce?? I'm sure if someone wanted to look it up, they'd find that Mr. Ozgener's middle name starts with an A. ..... :-/)
    From the horses mouth...