Home Cigar 101
Options

How do you pronounce this cigar name????!!!

124»

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    That's on page 3
  • Options
    the exact pronunciation is Caaaa---rrriii--oooooll----looo. lOollx.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    This might or might not help at all. Anytime you see these vowels in a cigar you pronounce them like this:

a=ah
    e=eh
    i=ee
    o= oh (but more like the "ul" sound in the word "pulse")
    u= ou

for consonants there are a few main ones you need to know:

C-pronounced like a K in english, and in the middle of a sentence after a vowel it is pronounced like an S, but after a consonant it is pronounced like a K
    H- has no sound. It's silent
    J- is pronounced like the H in horse
    L- one L by itself is pronounced like a normal L in english
    LL- can be pronounced 2 ways and still be correct. 1. it is pronounced like the Y in yoyo or 2. it can be pronounced like a "J" in pajamas
    x-is pronounced like the letter H in horse
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Thanatos0320:
    This might or might not help at all. Anytime you see these vowels in a cigar you pronounce them like this:

a=ah
    e=eh
    i=ee
    o= oh (but more like the "ul" sound in the word "pulse")
    u= ou

for consonants there are a few main ones you need to know:

C-pronounced like a K in english, and in the middle of a sentence after a vowel it is pronounced like an S, but after a consonant it is pronounced like a K H- has no sound. It's silent
    J- is pronounced like the H in horse
    L- one L by itself is pronounced like a normal L in english LL- can be pronounce 2 ways and still be correct. 1. it is pronounced like the Y in yoyo or 2. it can be pronounced like a "J" in pajamas
    x-is pronounced like the letter H in horse
  • Options
    i can never say "i like tuhtles" right
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    It's like this...Just like this

• Options
    ddubridge:
    deejmemixx:
    It's like this...Just like this

what about I like Zhombies
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reference to the Weekend Blitz - Bahia - Is it Bah EEE yah or Bah EEE ahh?

Edit: Nevermind. I found an audio pronunciation. I still hear a Y sound. (english Y not spanish Y LOL) But I think it's just the sound of the transition between EEE and ahh.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:

Edit: Nevermind. I found an audio pronunciation. I still hear a Y sound. (english Y not spanish Y LOL) But I think it's just the sound of the transition between EEE and ahh.
    Man, am I off, or your smoking crack. I have been saying Ba He uh. I always either find it funny or feel like a tard when I hear others say the names of cigars or find out how it’s supposed to be pronounced.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Whooo after going back and starting to read this whole thread over my head hurts
  • Options
    FireRob:
    Bob Luken:

Man, am I off, or your smoking crack. I have been saying Ba He uh. I always either find it funny or feel like a tard when I hear others say the names of cigars or find out how it’s supposed to be pronounced.
    I know the feeling. Most of my experience is by online purchases and online education as I have lived virtually in the swamps for a long time now, so my pronunciation of cigar names is lacking. For a while I didn't realize that AVO was a guy's name. I went around saying A.V.O. just like CAO. Maybe that's why my uncle was giving me a bit of a funny look when I asked him to try "try an A.V.O." Maybe he knew better but didn't want to correct me in front of everybody else.

Here's a link to the audio pronunciation of Bahia I meant to include earlier. (Look for the little speaker icon beside the word Bahia to hear the audio.)

http://spanish.dictionary.com/definition/bahia

I found another dictionary with audio that sounded just like you wrote it. I guess it is a matter of interpretation.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Bahia
  • Options
    Talked to a guy who did he was smoking a cow...guess what it was
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    CAO. I see it a lot at big cigar shops where the guys are talking about how much they know about cigars.
    And when I say C - A - O? They give me that look. Sacrilege I say.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    deejmemixx:
    CAO. I see it a lot at big cigar shops where the guys are talking about how much they know about cigars.
    And when I say C - A - O? They give me that look. Sacrilege I say.

CAO are the initials of Cano A. Ozgener who, I believe, started the company.... But you already knew that, didn't you??? LOL
  • Options

If I order that same beer that the most interesting man in the world drinks, (when he does drink beer, he doesn't always drink beer,) I don't say "dos exes". I know to pronounce the x in Spanish because I hear it pronounced that way on the tv. But I have heard plenty of spanish cigar names pronounced wrong for years before I learn how they are actually intended to be pronounced. So,............. 

Are we supposed to be pronouncing the X in OpusX in spanish?

OK, figured I would need to say opus in spanish also and need to say,......  
    "O-poose" 

Just,......  never-mind.