Home Cigar 101
Options

How do you pronounce this cigar name????!!!

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I know a couple guys who still insist on calling the Cinco Vegas brand "Five Vegas". Go figure.....lol
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    jlmarta:
    kuzi16:
    deejmemixx:
    So I am sure many of you have sat looking at a cigar band and said to your self...how the FK do you say this word???? Is it Vag?? is it Veeeehaaaaaahaaayyyyy??? I ddunnnnooo???

I am sure there are smarter people on this forum that can help you pronunciate that word correctly so you dont feel like such a tool..... so help your brothers out and tell them how to say dem words correctly!
    Vee- ah -hey
    ddubridge:
    I was wondering how you say tatuaje. Tattooeee???
    Tat -ooh - ah - hey
    Toombes:
    What about "criollo"? Cree-yo-yo, maybe? Or cree-lo-ho? I give up...
    Cree - oh -yo
    ddubridge:
    what CAO. I think you pronounce it COW.
    yes. thats exactly right.

I respectfully disagree, Matt. CAO are the initials of Cano Ozgener who started the company. Cano (pronounced 'Johno') is (was?) an Armenian Turk. I've seen his full name in print and his middle initial is A. So the correct pronunciation would be C.A.O. just as the correct pronunciation of my initials would be J.L.M. Capisce?? I'm sure if someone wanted to look it up, they'd find that Mr. Ozgener's middle name starts with an A. ..... :-/)
    From the horses mouth...

... i thought it was obvious enough that i could get away with this joke and not put "lol" or some other indicator that it was a joke there.

deadpan is very difficult in the written word.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    And I know a couple guys who still insist on calling the Cinco Vegas brand "Five Vegas".
    that annoys me to no end.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    .... i thought it was obvious enough that i could get away with this joke and not put "lol" or some other indicator that it was a joke there.

deadpan is very difficult in the written word.

I agree. Deadpan and sarcasm are both difficult. I frequently have the same problem. Sorry I mis-interpreted you, Matt. I should've known you'd know better than to agree with pronouncing it "cow"..... :-/)
  • Options
    Another one that bugs me is folks who pronounce Padilla so that it rhymes with "vanilla". The double "L" in Spanish usually makes a "Y" sound, making the proper pronunciation "Pah-DEE-ya".

When it rhymes with "vanilla" it sounds as dumb as making "tortilla" rhyme with it. I mean, "tor-TILL-a"?? Give me a break..... Lol
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    And I know a couple guys who still insist on calling the Cinco Vegas brand "Five Vegas". Go figure.....lol
    Eh. This one is their fault for using a numeral. I don't speak spanish when talking about cigars. I don't say "Me gusta criollo" I say "I like criollo," I'm not translating anything, I'm using the name of it, which happens to be a spanish word. Like "quesadilla." But if a menu item said "3 tacos" I'm going to order "three tacos" not "tres tacos." The numeral gets pronounced in my native tongue. I don't e-mail Tim to order a cinco pack just because it's cigars, I order a five pack.

Oh, let's bring this around full circle...so is CAO pronounced "see ay oh" or is it pronounced "say ah oh?"
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Asked and answered......
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Asked and answered......
    Exactly. He says see ay oh. If it was pronounced en espanol, like you're doing with the numeral 5, it would be say ah oh.
  • Options
    You said you want to say it in English, soooooo......
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Gah. I'm saying why is CAO said in english but the 5 in 5 Vegas in spanish?
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:

Well, I believe the word 'Vegas' is Spanish. So why would someone say the '5' in English and the 'Vegas' in Spanish?? Doesn't make sense to me.

And there are any number of cigar names that are in Spanish but we don't pronounce those in English.

I pronounce my initials in English and you probably pronounce yours the same way. Mr. Ozgener isn't Spanish so he probably doesn't pronounce his initials in Spanish but most of us probably don't speak Armenian so we don't really know how he pronounces his. I think we use English in this case because it's more comfortable to us....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:

Well, I believe the word 'Vegas' is Spanish. So why would someone say the '5' in English and the 'Vegas' in Spanish?? Doesn't make sense to me.

And there are any number of cigar names that are in Spanish but we don't pronounce those in English.

I pronounce my initials in English and you probably pronounce yours the same way. Mr. Ozgener isn't Spanish so he probably doesn't pronounce his initials in Spanish but most of us probably don't speak Armenian so we don't really know how he pronounces his. I think we use English in this case because it's more comfortable to us....
    the five creators of 5 Vegas were all spanish speaking tobacco growers. they got together and wanted to make a cigar with tobaccos from each of their five fields. the brand got the name because of the five fields or meadows. 5 meadows translates to "cinco vegas"

since the origin of the brand was all said in spanish, from a spanish speakg country, i always say it in spanish according to how it was conceived. i see no point in saying "five vegas" i dont call it "cinco meadows"
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just point.
    Unless I am on line. Then I just type, or check the box.
  • Options
    LeftOversLeftOvers Posts: 196 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    And I know a couple guys who still insist on calling the Cinco Vegas brand "Five Vegas".
    me to
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:

the five creators of 5 Vegas were all spanish speaking tobacco growers. they got together and wanted to make a cigar with tobaccos from each of their five fields. the brand got the name because of the five fields or meadows. 5 meadows translates to "cinco vegas"

since the origin of the brand was all said in spanish, from a spanish speakg country, i always say it in spanish according to how it was conceived. i see no point in saying "five vegas" i dont call it "cinco meadows"
    I'm mostly fascinated with this psychologically. On one hand we have the letter "C" and people pronounce it as the english "see" rather than the spanish "say." On the other the numeral 5 and people pronounce it as the spanish "cinco" rather than the english "five." Both one character, both one syllable, completely different pronunciation and therefore probably completely different perception. Makes me wonder what would happen with an ampersand (&). Would it be pronounced "and" or "ee?" How about partagas 1845? partagas mil ochocientos cuartenta y cinco or partagas eighteen forty-five?

I'm really not trying to argue for one pronunciation, I'm just really taken by these possible perceptual discrepancies.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Makes me wonder what would happen with an ampersand (&). Would it be pronounced "and" or "ee?"
    they wouldnt use the "&" in spanish... kinda missing the point if its only one letter to start with "y" as in CyB (interestingly enough i have heard that pronounced "See EE Bee).

Partagas 1845 ive only heard with the 1845 in english. im sure it is all from how it is originally marketed. if i am not mistaken 5 Vegas was marketed as "Cinco Vegas"

unrelated...
    it also annoys me when someone pronounces "Davidoff" as "Day-vid-off"
    it should be "Dah-vid-off" with the "dah" pronounce as the da in "dagger"
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    Uh...guilty! I don't know why it's listed as "5 Vegas" if it's actually called Cinco Vegas. Just sell it as Cinco Vegas.Nope, you know what? I'm an American ordering a foreign cigar on an American website. Five Vegas it is! ;)And...I also call/called Davidoff "David Off"..sigh. I'm just not wordly. This reminds me of Le Big Mac.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    Uh...guilty! I don't know why it's listed as "5 Vegas" if it's actually called Cinco Vegas. Just sell it as Cinco Vegas.Nope, you know what? I'm an American ordering a foreign cigar on an American website. Five Vegas it is! ;)And...I also call/called Davidoff "David Off"..sigh. I'm just not wordly. This reminds me of Le Big Mac.
    I really like eating le big macs with the sauce from my heritage. mcdonalds sweet sah sah. (sweet and sour sauce). I hear you white brother!
  • Options
    Rain:
    Uh...guilty! I don't know why it's listed as "5 Vegas" if it's actually called Cinco Vegas. Just sell it as Cinco Vegas.Nope, you know what? I'm an American ordering a foreign cigar on an American website. Five Vegas it is!

Kuzi made an excellent point in an earlier post to this thread. I.e., we're pronouncing the "5" in English and the "Vegas" in Spanish. Try reversing that and see if it makes any sense to say "Cinco pastures" or "Cinco fields". At least be consistent. Either say it all in Spanish or all in English.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Rain:
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    I really like eating le big macs with the sauce from my heritage. mcdonalds sweet sah sah. (sweet and sour sauce). I hear you white brother!
    How does this even count as a post.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Rain:
    Uh...guilty! I don't know why it's listed as "5 Vegas" if it's actually called Cinco Vegas. Just sell it as Cinco Vegas.Nope, you know what? I'm an American ordering a foreign cigar on an American website. Five Vegas it is!

Kuzi made an excellent point in an earlier post to this thread. I.e., we're pronouncing the "5" in English and the "Vegas" in Spanish. Try reversing that and see if it makes any sense to say "Cinco pastures" or "Cinco fields". At least be consistent. Either say it all in Spanish or all in English.
    Hmm...maybe.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    jlmarta:
    Rain:

Hmm...maybe.
    Those cigars are in America and should learn to speak American!

Sorry for that. Now, I know Avo is Ahhhhhhhvo not Ehvo, but how the heck do you pronounce Domaine? I know very little Spanish except for Hola, Feliz Navidad, Counting to 10, and a few choice words. So I have really no idea how to pronounce anything properly.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Avo himself speaks english for the most part. I have only heard Domaine pronounced "doe - main"

• Options
    Vision:
    jliu:
    Rain:
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    It does. Just like this one.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    Vision:
    jliu:
    Rain:
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    And this one
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Avo himself speaks english for the most part. I have only heard Domaine pronounced "doe - main"

Yeah, I've seen some clips of him, but why not just spell it Domain without the e on the end? It's like an English word, but it's not.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Martel:
    kuzi16:

Yeah, I've seen some clips of him, but why not just spell it Domain without the e on the end? It's like an English word, but it's not.
    iduno that one. im sure there is a reason. i just dont know it.
  • Options
    jliu:
    Vision:
    jliu:
    Rain:
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    June's post-count is graded on a curve. A sweet, sweet curve.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    jliu:
    Vision:
    jliu:
    Rain:
    kuzi16:
    jlmarta:
    June's post-count is graded on a curve. A sweet, sweet curve.
    thank you professora and eric. you guys are quite handsome yourselves <3
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    L'Atelier? My best guess would be "la-tel-lee-eh" eh as in the Canadian eh?