Home Non Cigar Related
Options

A scripture a day keeps the devil at bay.

Comments

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galatians 6:9

Let us not become weary in doing good,r for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.s

• Options
    Matthew 12:46-50

Jesus’ Mother and Brothers

46 While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.”

48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

• Options

Romans 14:3-4

3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Romans 14:3-4

3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

Too bad most people don't follow this.
    The last year's events have proven that a large percentage of the people don't.
    I find it interesting that there are Christians protesting what other people do and all that, yet this scripture clearly goes against them.  
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to put those verses into the context of what St. Paul was writing about; Christians demeaning other Christians for what they allow in their lives, not only in dietary situations, but more broadly.  It's not inferring at all that there is to be no discerning (or judging) in any area of life.  It's a specific warning from the apostle, but doesn't limit Christians from speaking out against obvious errors or sins.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Ruth 2:12New International Version (NIV)

12 May the Lord repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the Lord,the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge.”

• Options
  • Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is my favorite ^
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Along those lines, a simple little poem -

http3bpblogspotcom-l52tp8MqB-oUix6b1C-fyIAAAAAAAACdQieGA_A1ZIDws1600robin-and-sparrow-lou-ann-bagnalljpg
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Isaiah 43:18New International Version (NIV)

18 “Forget the former things;
        do not dwell on the past.

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭

James 5:1-6

5 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. 2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. 6 You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.

Sounds like Amos, chapters 2 and 5 in particular.

Oh, and RE: Is 43:18, isn't it interesting that right before that verse, there's a recitation of the past and later in the chapter there's a call to "review the past"?  Tells me I probably shouldn't just quote the one verse when it's clearly more complex in context.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Martel said:

James 5:1-6

5 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. 2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. 6 You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.

Sounds like Amos, chapters 2 and 5 in particular.

Oh, and RE: Is 43:18, isn't it interesting that right before that verse, there's a recitation of the past and later in the chapter there's a call to "review the past"?  Tells me I probably shouldn't just quote the one verse when it's clearly more complex in context.

Sorry @Martel, won't happen again.
  • Options
    Philippians 2:3-4

3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

• Options

Hebrews 12New International Version (NIV)

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverancethe race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

• Options
    Isaiah 7:1414 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a scripture, but related.  Check out the videos from these guys: https://thebibleproject.com/

I think it's some of the best multimedia stuff on the Bible around.  They changed their site a while ago, so if you don't want to create a login to get the vids, they're on Youtube, but with ads and promo spots after. 

For Christmas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OLezoUvOEQ

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options

Colossians 3:12-15New Living Translation (NLT)

12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. 13 Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.

• Options

Joshua 1:9 New International Version (NIV)

9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

• Options

1 Peter 2  11 Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrongand to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. 16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. 17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God.20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

James 1:2-4 New King James Version (NKJV)

Profiting from Trials

2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Native Farewell prayer.
    Who will sing my name?
    When I see the eagle no more, 
    Will you call my name? 

When the end of my path is reached, 
    Will you sing my name in prayer? 

The Old Ones fade and are no more, 
    And no one calls their names. 

Our People vanish and come to ashes, 
    And no one sings the prayers. 

We were once strong and many, 
    I call the names of those before. 

Those who remain have no knowing, 
    For them I sing my prayer. 

But when I am gone, who follows me, 
    Who will call my name? 

When I have given up my breath, 
    Who will sing my name in prayer?

Native American Prayer 
    Great Spirit, 
    Give us hearts to understand
    Never to take from creation's beauty more than we give, 
    Never to destroy want only for the furtherance of greed, 
    Never to deny to give our hands for the building of earth's beauty, 
    Never to take from her what we cannot use.

That to destroy earth's music is to create confusion,
    That to wreck her appearance is to blind us to beauty, 
    That to callously pollute her fragrance is to make a house of stench,
    That as we care for her she will care for us.
    We have forgotten who we are. 
    We have sought only our own security. 
    We have exploited simply for our own ends. 
    We have distorted our knowledge. 
    We have abused our power.

Great Spirit, 
    Whose dry lands thirst, 
    Help us to find the way to refresh your lands.

Great Spirit, 
    Whose waters are choked with debris and pollution,
    Help us to find the way to cleanse your waters.

Great Spirit, 
    Whose beautiful earth grows ugly with misuse, 
    Help us to find the way to restore beauty to your handiwork. 

Great Spirit, 
    Whose creatures are being destroyed,
    Help us to find a way to replenish them

Great Spirit, 
    whose gifts to us are being lost in selfishness and corruption, 
    Help us to find the way to restore our humanity. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amen.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Hebrews 13:1-6 New King James Version (NKJV)

Concluding Moral Directions

13 Let brotherly love continue. 2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. 3 Remember the prisoners as if chained with them—those who are mistreated—since you yourselves are in the body also.

4 Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we may boldly say:

“The Lord is my helper;
    I will not fear.
    What can man do to me?”

• Options

Mark 7:1-9 New International Version

The Things That Defile

7 1  The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus 2  and saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed. 3  (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. 4  When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.[1]5  So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, "Why don't your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?" 6  He replied, "Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 7  They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.'[2] 8  You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions." 9  And he continued, "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe[3]your own traditions!

• Options

1 Peter 5:7 New International Version (NIV)

7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

• Options

Romans 12:9-21

Love in Action
    Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
    Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
    Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary:
    “If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
    In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roland_7707 said:
    Romans 5:1-5 KJV[1] Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: [2] By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. [3] And not only so , but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; [4] And patience, experience; and experience, hope: [5] And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Just found this thread and was about to post this verse. Thank you @roland_7707 one of my favorite verses!