Home Non Cigar Related
Options

A scripture a day keeps the devil at bay.

Comments

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if many of yall have young children  but Jack Levin has a good book out. Proverbs for young people. Got it for my niece  and nephew, good book for children.
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark 12:33 and to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more important than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."

• Options
    Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    @genareddog so glad you resurrected this thread!

• Options
    Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Luke 18:1

"Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up."

(If you're frustrated with the current state of politics, this might be a good chapter to read, also.)
  • Options
    Eph. 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, that no one should boast
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But you can't forget  Eph2:10
    For we are his workmanship,created in Christ Jesus unto good works,which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1Jn 4:7-10 ESV  Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.  (8)  Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.  (9)  In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.  (10)  In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    God desires us to worship and follow him with all of our heart, yet sometimes we want or desire to serve God and man at the same time.  Notice when king Balak desired the prophet  Balaam to curse God's people, Balaam found himself in a conflict within himself, to receive the money honor and praise of men or serve God. Balaam like a child would not take God's first answer to him, but went with them men willing instead of heading God's command of only going if the men called him in the morning of the second time they came to him, Balaam willingly got up and saddled his donkey. We many times find ourselves saddling our donkeys with the will of the world, hoping God will be pleased with us.
    Num 22:3-34 ESV  And Moab was in great dread of the people, because they were many. Moab was overcome with fear of the people of Israel.  (4)  And Moab said to the elders of Midian, "This horde will now lick up all that is around us, as the ox licks up the grass of the field." So Balak the son of Zippor, who was king of Moab at that time,  (5)  sent messengers to Balaam the son of Beor at Pethor, which is near the River in the land of the people of Amaw, to call him, saying, "Behold, a people has come out of Egypt. They cover the face of the earth, and they are dwelling opposite me.  (6)  Come now, curse this people for me, since they are too mighty for me. Perhaps I shall be able to defeat them and drive them from the land, for I know that he whom you bless is blessed, and he whom you curse is cursed."  (7)  So the elders of Moab and the elders of Midian departed with the fees for divination in their hand. And they came to Balaam and gave him Balak's message.  (8)  And he said to them, "Lodge here tonight, and I will bring back word to you, as the LORD speaks to me." So the princes of Moab stayed with Balaam.  (9)  And God came to Balaam and said, "Who are these men with you?"  (10)  And Balaam said to God, "Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, has sent to me, saying,  (11)  'Behold, a people has come out of Egypt, and it covers the face of the earth. Now come, curse them for me. Perhaps I shall be able to fight against them and drive them out.'"  (12)  God said to Balaam, "You shall not go with them. You shall not curse the people, for they are blessed."  (13)  So Balaam rose in the morning and said to the princes of Balak, "Go to your own land, for the LORD has refused to let me go with you."  (14)  So the princes of Moab rose and went to Balak and said, "Balaam refuses to come with us."  (15)  Once again Balak sent princes, more in number and more honorable than these.  (16)  And they came to Balaam and said to him, "Thus says Balak the son of Zippor: 'Let nothing hinder you from coming to me,  (17)  for I will surely do you great honor, and whatever you say to me I will do. Come, curse this people for me.'"  (18)  But Balaam answered and said to the servants of Balak, "Though Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not go beyond the command of the LORD my God to do less or more.  (19)  So you, too, please stay here tonight, that I may know what more the LORD will say to me."  (20)  And God came to Balaam at night and said to him, "If the men have come to call you, rise, go with them; but only do what I tell you."  (21)  So Balaam rose in the morning and saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab.  (22)  But God's anger was kindled because he went, and the angel of the LORD took his stand in the way as his adversary. Now he was riding on the donkey, and his two servants were with him.  (23)  And the donkey saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road, with a drawn sword in his hand. And the donkey turned aside out of the road and went into the field. And Balaam struck the donkey, to turn her into the road.  (24)  Then the angel of the LORD stood in a narrow path between the vineyards, with a wall on either side.  (25)  And when the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she pushed against the wall and pressed Balaam's foot against the wall. So he struck her again.  (26)  Then the angel of the LORD went ahead and stood in a narrow place, where there was no way to turn either to the right or to the left.  (27)  When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam. And Balaam's anger was kindled, and he struck the donkey with his staff.  (28)  Then the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?"  (29)  And Balaam said to the donkey, "Because you have made a fool of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you."  (30)  And the donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your donkey, on which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Is it my habit to treat you this way?" And he said, "No."  (31)  Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, with his drawn sword in his hand. And he bowed down and fell on his face.  (32)  And the angel of the LORD said to him, "Why have you struck your donkey these three times? Behold, I have come out to oppose you because your way is perverse before me.  (33)  The donkey saw me and turned aside before me these three times. If she had not turned aside from me, surely just now I would have killed you and let her live."  (34)  Then Balaam said to the angel of the LORD, "I have sinned, for I did not know that you stood in the road against me. Now therefore, if it is evil in your sight, I will turn back."

Just as God was not pleased with Balaam he is not pleased with us when we try to please him and desires of the world at the same time. To bad we don't have a wise donkey to protect us from ourselves as Balaam had. The great lesson here is to ignore the desires to please the worldliness within us, and completely follow our Lord. Thanks be to God for his great grace and love to man. God spared Balaam at that time, and he will spare us if we will turn to him.
    God Bless

Post edited by TNBigfoot68 on
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good word, Paul.  Thanks.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh. I love that one. Enough jokes of God talking out of his ass to make any bible study uncomfortable.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭

My scripture reading every election eve:

1 Samuel 8 New Living Translation (NLT)

Israel Requests a King

8 As Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons to be judges over Israel. 2 Joel and Abijah, his oldest sons, held court in Beersheba. 3 But they were not like their father, for they were greedy for money. They accepted bribes and perverted justice.

4 Finally, all the elders of Israel met at Ramah to discuss the matter with Samuel. 5 “Look,” they told him, “you are now old, and your sons are not like you. Give us a king to judge us like all the other nations have.”

6 Samuel was displeased with their request and went to the Lord for guidance. 7 “Do everything they say to you,” the Lord replied, “for they are rejecting me, not you. They don’t want me to be their king any longer. 8 Ever since I brought them from Egypt they have continually abandoned me and followed other gods. And now they are giving you the same treatment. 9 Do as they ask, but solemnly warn them about the way a king will reign over them.”

Samuel Warns against a Kingdom

10 So Samuel passed on the Lord’s warning to the people who were asking him for a king. 11 “This is how a king will reign over you,” Samuel said. “The king will draft your sons and assign them to his chariots and his charioteers, making them run before his chariots. 12 Some will be generals and captains in his army,[a] some will be forced to plow in his fields and harvest his crops, and some will make his weapons and chariot equipment. 13 The king will take your daughters from you and force them to cook and bake and make perfumes for him. 14 He will take away the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his own officials. 15 He will take a tenth of your grain and your grape harvest and distribute it among his officers and attendants. 16 He will take your male and female slaves and demand the finest of your cattle[b] and donkeys for his own use. 17 He will demand a tenth of your flocks, and you will be his slaves. 18 When that day comes, you will beg for relief from this king you are demanding, but then the Lord will not help you.”

19 But the people refused to listen to Samuel’s warning. “Even so, we still want a king,” they said. 20 “We want to be like the nations around us. Our king will judge us and lead us into battle.”

21 So Samuel repeated to the Lord what the people had said, 22 and the Lord replied, “Do as they say, and give them a king.” Then Samuel agreed and sent the people home.

Footnotes:

1. 8:12 Hebrew commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties.
    2. 8:16 As in Greek version; Hebrew reads young men.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options

Psalm 118

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
        his love endures forever.

Let Israel say:
        “His love endures forever.”
    Let the house of Aaron say:
    Let those who fear the Lord say:

When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord;
        he brought me into a spacious place.
    The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.
        What can mere mortals do to me?
    The Lord is with me; he is my helper.
        I look in triumph on my enemies.

It is better to take refuge in the Lord
        than to trust in humans.
    It is better to take refuge in the Lord
        than to trust in princes.
    10 All the nations surrounded me,
        but in the name of the Lord I cut them down.
    11 They surrounded me on every side,
        but in the name of the Lord I cut them down.
    12 They swarmed around me like bees,
        but they were consumed as quickly as burning thorns;
        in the name of the Lord I cut them down.
    13 I was pushed back and about to fall,
        but the Lord helped me.
    14 The Lord is my strength and my defense[a];
        he has become my salvation.

15 Shouts of joy and victory
        resound in the tents of the righteous:
    “The Lord’s right hand has done mighty things!
    16     The Lord’s right hand is lifted high;
        the Lord’s right hand has done mighty things!”
    17 I will not die but live,
        and will proclaim what the Lord has done.
    18 The Lord has chastened me severely,
        but he has not given me over to death.
    19 Open for me the gates of the righteous;
        I will enter and give thanks to the Lord.
    20 This is the gate of the Lord
        through which the righteous may enter.
    21 I will give you thanks, for you answered me;
        you have become my salvation.

22 The stone the builders rejected
        has become the cornerstone;
    23 the Lord has done this,
        and it is marvelous in our eyes.
    24 The Lord has done it this very day;
        let us rejoice today and be glad.

25 Lord, save us!
        Lord, grant us success!

26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.
        From the house of the Lord we bless you.[b]
    27 The Lord is God,
        and he has made his light shine on us.
    With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession
        up[c] to the horns of the altar.

28 You are my God, and I will praise you;
        you are my God, and I will exalt you.

29 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
        his love endures forever.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are sharing the light, appreciate it, need it, thanks
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Isn't it wonderful to know that no matter who you are, or what you have done that God's love is so great that we can be saved by the gift of God that we could never earn because our best efforts will result in sin and separation from God, and yet he saves us through his Grace -
    Rom 3:23-26 ESV  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,  (24)  and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,  (25)  whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins.  (26)  It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

Once we are saved in Christ his Grace is still there cleansing us daily with the Blood of Christ, and when we willfully sin, his Grace is still there for us to confess our sins, and he forgives us.  How wonderful and great is his Grace, that he allows us to return and remain with Him.

1Jn 1:7-10 ESV  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.  (8)  If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  (9)  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  (10)  If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
    1Jn 2:1-3 ESV  My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.  (2)  He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.  (3)  And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.
    AMEN!

• Options
    As a child of God, we have opportunities everyday to share the light of God by doing good. The purpose of doing good is to show God's love, Grace and salvation to the lost, but also to the saved. By living this way we are laying up our treasures in heaven not on earth. From time to I have run into brethren that are hesitant to help the lost because they are not save, but God  tells us to do good all. When we do good to the lost it is opportunity to show them God's grace that has come to all men to be saved.
    Gal 6:6-10 ESV  Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches.  (7)  Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.  (8)  For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.  (9)  And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.  (10)  So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

God is also encouraging us not to give up on doing right!

• Options
    Isaiah 41:10 10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.                               
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 fish 2 fish
    Red fish blue fish

Dr. Suess
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    1 fish, 2 fish
    5000 fish...
                 -Jesus
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

2 Timothy 2:23-24

23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.
  • Options

2 Timothy 2:23-24

23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.
    Ouch.

• Options
    Romans 12 3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.