Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Your, you're. Then, than. Your/you're thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    brianetz1:
    the your/you're type of grammatical errors are a pet peeve of mine. My friends purposely put the wrong version in emails and texts just to *** with me.
    +1. Their our people who just don't get it. To many two list but hears another common won........ lose and loose.
    i dislike you greatly.........
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    danielzreyes:
    brianetz1:
    the your/you're type of grammatical errors are a pet peeve of mine. My friends purposely put the wrong version in emails and texts just to *** with me.
    +1. Their our people who just don't get it. To many two list but hears another common won........ lose and loose.
    i dislike you greatly.........
    Capital "I" son.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'm for proper grammar, but dialectical writing doesn't bother me at all. I think there's a difference though. You're/your isn't dialectical, it's wrong. Gonna/going to is dialectical. Oh, and Rain...

Than is for comparing one thing to another (bigger than, fatter than, premiprempremi-er than, etc.), then is for time (I smoked a MoW then said "FTW!!!!")

And someone asked affect/effect. Generally speaking, effect is a noun (It had an effect on...) and affect is a verb (It was affected by...). The sticky wicket there is that affect an also be a noun meaning your demeanor. As positive affect is smiley, negative is frowning/scowling, and flat affect is no expression at all.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    I'm for proper grammar, but dialectical writing doesn't bother me at all. I think there's a difference though. You're/your isn't dialectical, it's wrong. Gonna/going to is dialectical. Oh, and Rain...

Than is for comparing one thing to another (bigger than, fatter than, premiprempremi-er than, etc.), then is for time (I smoked a MoW then said "FTW!!!!")

And someone asked affect/effect. Generally speaking, effect is a noun (It had an effect on...) and affect is a verb (It was affected by...). The sticky wicket there is that affect an also be a noun meaning your demeanor. As positive affect is smiley, negative is frowning/scowling, and flat affect is no expression at all.
    Thanks! And....mind blown.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:

And that, my friends, is why he is a professor. That, plus he's smarter then you're average dude.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care as long as I can understand it!! But I'm sure I screw it up all the time lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mistakes happen, but type it so I can understand what you mean. I won't call anyone out ever, but man... if you're gonna type it then do it correctly.

I used both "you're" and "then" :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:
    Martel:
    If you mess up grammar in this way, I will discriminate against you. Live with it.

Now, what's the html tag for sarcasm? Is that in the 101 thread?
    Well, What if you were choosing someone to write out a menu for your restaurant? Or picking someone to write up the church bulletin? In that case you SHOULD discriminate against known grammatical offenders. LOL
    I've had a couple of things published...not for any profit mind you, but in church bulletins and in newsletters/fundraising mailers for organizations and the like. I have an English teacher friend who's proofread many of those things and only made one correction. On that correction, her comment was, "my suggestion may not be any better than what you have, because I'm OCD about parallel construction, but there's no good way to make what you're trying to say parallel without splitting an infinitive, so good luck with whatever you choose. You write better than I do." I rewrote it and was able to work around the issue; it was still a little awkward.

I tried getting a job teaching composition, but didn't have enough graduate credits in that specific field. But I write better than the English teacher who does have those credits...oh well.
    ps I still get confused on split infinitives. Also, I misspelled "reverend" in our wedding bulletins. I think I left out a letter, lol!!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    photo AA10FE18-DA80-44F5-BE7E-2C4410C2F36C.png
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh My God! No.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Misspelled tattoos are the worst. They're really cringe worthy.

Another one that perturbs me is the misuse or confusion in usage between "less" and "fewer".
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Misspelled tattoos are the worst. They're really cringe worthy.

Another one that perturbs me is the misuse or confusion in usage between "less" and "fewer".
    I've been told that this one is somewhat arbitrary and there is no grammatical rule on it. Not sure if that's true. At the very least there are many gray areas for which to use when. Generally I believe it's if you can count it, it's fewer (fewer mistakes), if it's a measure of magnitude, it's less (less terrible).
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proofreading is a lost art in these days of mobile devices with small screens and auto-correct.  I saw this update yesterday:  "Gimp from... will be meeting me."  An unfortunate auto-correct, it should read Gino from...
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 'would've' and 'would of'.....
    Or 'they're', 'their', and 'there'.....
    ad infinitum......

And excuse my lack of PC but I think a lot of the incorrect usage we see can be blamed on the last generation or two who refrain from correcting their children so as not to damage the kid's self esteem. 

What boolsheet that is......  :p
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of like fingernails on a chalkboard.

That's something the teachers used to write on in school, for you pups.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm for it but I'm not going to call anyone out on it, what with typing on phones and the like, it's bound to happen by accident.
    A deleted user from 2014, but had 4 stars (so stuck around, post forum upgrade). First time I have seen this -- who was it? And to be congruent with the thread, they're gone...

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    Bob Luken:
    Spelling. And basic punctuation. Are you fer it or or agin' it?
    I'm for it but I also understand that conversations on forums like ccom are not the same as a professional email or letter. That doesn't mean that we can let all the rules of out he door but I am certainly more forgiving for a typo now and again. I do a lot of my forum interaction on my phone or iPad and it's much harder to see what I am writing at times. Now, having said that, I taught at university for 12 years and was appalled by the degradation of students grammar, spelling, and punctuation over time. If I could attach a document to this I'd post this thing I use to give my students on writing. It was pretty snarky (IMHO)
    +1 on that.  After retiring from law enforcement, I have been teaching college and I too am amazed that high school graduates cannot write.  I don't know if it's too much texting or what, but when I assign a paper, I have to tell them there is no place in an academic paper for text language.

That being said, a typo or two on a blog is not big deal.  Remember the infamous "BORK!"
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that smart phones are part of the problem, along with auto correct.

But then again, I've had managers send me texts and emails that were so screwed up, I had to reply to them that I had absolutely no idea what they were trying to say.

The bad thing is, they had no idea that it was incoherent jibberish.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Well, I think I'm less tolerant of homophones than I was four years ago when I started this thread. It's definitely a pet peeve and I'm peeved now more than ever over then vs than in particular. I never remember having a problem spelling this stuff correctly. Maybe they don't teach these basics as thoroughly anymore because they spend more time on other stuff like indoctrination, like explaining the concept of infinite genders to grade school kids. Conversly, I'm also wondering if it only seems worse now because of technology because more people are putting words down and more people get to see those mistakes than before the era of texting and online forums. Maybe the same percentage of people that didn't know how to use then vs than back in the old days is the same as now, but they never had as much opportunity to reveal their ignorance on a large scale, because, you know, it's not just the younger ones who are proving they don't know this stuff. 
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    If this stuff bothers you than you have a problem.  ;-)
    I got 99 problems but then/that ain't one. 
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    peter4jc said:
    If this stuff bothers you than you have a problem.  ;-)
    Absoleutley!  Double yes!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to be lazy in environments such as this forum and texting my grammar Na#i wife (Gonna give her ulcers) but otherwise all for it.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a smart phone I'd blame it on auto-correct.