Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Your, you're. Then, than. Your/you're thoughts?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You might think this thread would have passed into the past. And, if this thread has annoyed you in the past, ignore it for a time, and soon it will pass.

I think I got all that gramaticalistically correct. I've noticed a lot of people mixing up those two words, (maybe on the forum, maybe not,) particularly using past when they should have used passed. 

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pet peeve is etched on every rear view mirror:

objects in mirror are closer than they appear

There are no objects in your average mirror... they just appear there. The same words could easily be arranged to say:

objects appear closer in mirror than they are

Still not grammatical; but at least it makes sense.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me advice you, this is good advise.  Thanks you Bobby!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stubble said:
    Let me advice you, this is good advise.  
    Steve must be in charge of the department of redundancy department. Just saying so you know.
  • Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to admit I never know when to use who or whom. 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old 5th and 6th grade English teacher, miss ‘Killer’ Keller, is and has been a whirling dervish in her grave for a good many years, now......  

• Options
    CigarsonistCigarsonist Posts: 267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alabama public education has learned me the three R’s

readin
    ritin
    and rithmatic 
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Image result for there their meme
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I tend to prefer proper usage, but also sometimes am guilty of rapid typing followed by rapid posting resulting in error. When that happens I usually return and edit, if I notice. Sometimes ones own posts are the hardest to notice, because I know what I meant.

I have to admit, especially when I first started posting here, I was often dismayed by the poor grammar, incorrect spelling and punctuation. Later, when my computer was down and I was limited to posting on my tablet, with its tiny keyboard, I came to understand misspellings and had a lot more sympathy for errors.

Something else I've noticed, especially around November when the "Great American Smokeout" is in progress and we get a bunch of one-post-wonder trolls asking stupid questions about cigarettes and machine made cigars, is that either these posters are congenitally stupid, or they assume they're blending in with the dumb smokers. (they are, as opposed to the possessive their, or even there) Their posts are poorly written, badly spelled, and gramatically atrocious. Their questions are usually completely irrelevant to anything we here, or any informed cigar smoker would be interested in.

While they are usually easy to spot, sometimes we get sucked in for awhile. Then, blessedly, they go away. Presumably they return to their safe little troll caves where they live in the safety of authoritarian mind control, all decisions made for them by worthy do-gooders who would swaddle us all from cradle to grave, insulating us from everything that doesn't produce goodly profit for The Machine that molded what passes for their selves.
    I'm still here on this subject.  Digression and all.

I guess what I'm saying is your not gonna get me to change my mind, there all crazy.  

'Nuff sed.  So their.

;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about fore, for, and four.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    What about fore, for, and four?
    FIFY
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Bob_Luken said:
    What about fore, for, and four?
    Watt about fore, for, and four?

FIFY