Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

A different type of pass?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
A thought for a pass.
I was thinking about a pass.

Not your ordinary pass.
The box would be filled with paper bags of cigars with numbers on them.
The bag tops stapled shut.
With 3-5 cigars each bag.
You would take a bag and put a bag.
Kind of a grab bag type of thing, but it could still be fun.

Anyways, just a thought.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Interesting thought actually!
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! I'm in! My only though, and I hate hate HATE to have to have this thought, is that you damn sure better trust who's in it. I don't want to open a bag of Zoidians.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Awesome! I'm in! My only though, and I hate hate HATE to have to have this thought, is that you damn sure better trust who's in it. I don't want to open a bag of Zoidians.
    ROFL! We could have one dog bag in it?
    Feel lucky, well do ya? ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds really different and exciting.now Would you have to wait till you mail it to open the bag you chose??
    no matter where you go, there you are.

I'm gonna fill my bag with nubs, and write 0's name on it.
    Boots, you are sooooo gonna get it one of these days. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    twistedstem:
    Sounds really different and exciting.now Would you have to wait till you mail it to open the bag you chose??
    Well, I don't know.
    I would think that the honorable thing to do would be wait til you did your puts, to open it.

That's something that we'd have to work out as a group, I suppose.
    We want it fun, a chance and like a bit of a treasure hunt.
    It doesn't have to be restricted to cigar though.
    Other things could be added to the bags. Cutters, matches and things like that.

Really, it's in the thought process right now.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea, but it seems like it could get a bit cumbersome. Picturing people squeezing the bags to try to "feel" what's in them, and maybe squishing some sticks in the process.

Wonder if there's a way to do it on a smaller scale. Like maybe sending a larger Priority Mail box with three or four sealed small boxes inside. Take one box, put one box, then mail to the next person?

Seems like maybe boxes would stand up better over the course of the pass.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    It'd be cool if each bag had a "teaser", like a note...."3 Dominican, 2 Nicaraguan" or "1 Cutter, 2 Maduro, 2 Habano".
    0patience:
    Boots, you are sooooo gonna get it one of these days. LOL!
    One of these days Alice, one of these days. POW! Right in the kisser!
    Puff_Dougie:
    I like the idea, but it seems like it could get a bit cumbersome. Picturing people squeezing the bags to try to "feel" what's in them, and maybe squishing some sticks in the process.

Wonder if there's a way to do it on a smaller scale. Like maybe sending a larger Priority Mail box with three or four sealed small boxes inside. Take one box, put one box, then mail to the next person?

May increase shipping, but I like this method better.
    New Boots:
    Puff_Dougie:

May increase shipping, but I like this method better.
    If we use flat rate boxes, the shipping should be the same, as long as the number of boxes doesn't increase.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
    Puff_Dougie:

Good thinker right there!!
    That is pretty do-able. Probably only gonna be able to get 4 or 6 boxes in one box, but that is definitely a really good idea. And if the boxes are packed right, it would be hard for folks to try and determine what is in it. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Really great ideas on here to start off with the idea from 0 and everyone putting in some good ideas I think this should be a lot of fun. I like the box idea with teaser on it.
    I'm in if you'd have me.
    Rain:
    It'd be cool if each bag had a "teaser", like a note...."3 Dominican, 2 Nicaraguan" or "1 Cutter, 2 Maduro, 2 Habano".
    We could do that.
    Put mystery teasers on it.
    Or simply put "mystery box, pick at own risk" or "other" LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience:
    Rain:
    We could do that.
    I kinda think a blind grab bag would be better. Seems like the whole point is NOT to know what you're getting till you pick your box.
    I like this idea of a pass, because it is a bit of chance.
    And there is that bit of mystery to it.

I'm not much of a "pass" person, but I saw this idea from one of the wife's friends and thought that with a little modifying, it could work for us.

To be honest, I didn't think it would go over this well.
    But I think with all the input, this could be a very fun thing.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Puff_Dougie:
    0patience:
    Rain:
    We could do that.
    I kinda think a blind grab bag would be better. Seems like the whole point is NOT to know what you're getting till you pick your box.
    I like the blind version for 2 reasons
    1: It's Blind
    2: We don't listen to Randy
    Puff_Dougie:
    0patience:
    Rain:
    We could do that.
    We could allow teasers or not and let it be up to the person who is doing their "puts"?
    With the stipulation that the teasers be pretty vague and not give an indication as to what is in the box?

This is the good thing about kicking around ideas.
    I see the concern though. If someone put's "ISOM" or "cutter" on a box, you know that box will be the first thing grabbed. So if we allow teasers, we'll have to come up with an acceptable list of words that can be used.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Great point-might be best to just do a blind bag/box.
    On the practical side, there's also the fact that whoever initiates this pass will have to put in 4-6 boxes of sticks to prime the pump... which is 16-24 cigars if there's four in a box. That's an awful big "donation." That would pretty much empty my inventory completely, though I imagine somebody may have enough surplus to get it started.

Which brings up the next logical question. The person at the end of the pass order will receive 4-6 boxes. What do they do with the extras? Keep them (if so, put me last please)? Return them to the originator of the pass? Donate them to Sticks for Soldiers?

Just a few random thoughts...
    Puff_Dougie:
    On the practical side, there's also the fact that whoever initiates this pass will have to put in 4-6 boxes of sticks to prime the pump... which is 16-24 cigars if there's four in a box. That's an awful big "donation." That would pretty much empty my inventory completely, though I imagine somebody may have enough surplus to get it started.

Which brings up the next logical question. The person at the end of the pass order will receive 4-6 boxes. What do they do with the extras? Keep them (if so, put me last please)? Return them to the originator of the pass? Donate them to Sticks for Soldiers?

No idea. Never initiated a pass. So I don't know how that works.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Puff_Dougie:

A pass comes back around to the one who started it. He/She is the one to send it, and the last to receive it.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    So this would be a completely Blind Trade ? Hmmm. Sounds Interesting. It would be fun.
    0patience:
    Puff_Dougie:

No idea. Never initiated a pass. So I don't know how that works.
    Only experience I have is the the Congrats Pass for Ken. I started it with five sticks. Each person will take one and put two (or more). At the end of the line, the "booty" goes to Ken.

This "grab bag pass" would be on a much larger scale. Whoever starts it would have to fill the first batch of boxes. Whoever's last on the pass list would end up with a surplus. Simplest "fix" it seems would be to have the pass go "full circle" so that the surplus returns to the pass originator.
    New Boots:
    A pass comes back around to the one who started it. He/She is the one to send it, and the last to receive it.
    Right! What Jay said! LOL
    So now I need to start thinking about things to fill the boxes with. Cigars aren't a problem, but would like to make it interesting and fun. And I have to check into boxes. Might look at different sizes that will fit into the flat rate boxes.

May take me a little time to get it all set up. But I'm willing to set it up and get it going if it sounds good.
    But hearing more ideas on it or what you think is great!

One thing to add. I really don't want this to be a "he got premiprems and I didn't", so I think we need to make it so these will be baseline cigars. Not cheapies, but not opus. If you choose to throw premiprems in, great. If not, great.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if this would help but how about packing each grab bag inside ups/usps/fedex carboard envelopes self sealing glue flap thingies. Would protect as well as cardboard boxes but not as much bulk. Plus it would be much harder to peek.
    Bob Luken:
    Don't know if this would help but how about packing each grab bag inside ups/usps/fedex carboard envelopes self sealing glue flap thingies. Would protect as well as cardboard boxes but not as much bulk. Plus it would be much harder to peek.
    I'm thinking that if we use the USPS flat rate small boxes, then they are available to everyone for no cost. That way, clean boxes go in and tampering would be minimal, but realistically, it's gonna be on the HONOR system.

I suppose we can number the boxes, take pics of everything before you ship, then the next guy can compare images when he receives it?
    Each person puts their number on the boxes as we go?
    Dunno.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Being a blind pass, I think not labeling the individual boxes at all would be good. If you want to know whose box you picked, that person can tell you after the fact. I would hate to see someone be disappointed because everyone keeps not picking their box. Also, Tony, I'm going to send you a PM with another idea I have, but I don't want to put you on the spot publicly.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America