Home General Discussion
Options

Need some help from the botl community" New Update"

Comments

• Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Bump to the top. Please read previous post.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Curt, if anyone has any ideas on what they wanna do, please feel free to post it,.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Gentlemen,

I received this reply from Ricks son. Anything we can do would be a fitting tribute to Ricks passing.

Curt, Thanks so much for reaching out, I really appreciate it. If you'd like to donate, I'm sure my father would appreciate donations to "Manresa House of Retreats" in Convent, LA. Also, if you or anyone can give blood, particularly to the Blood Center anywhere in Louisiana, my whole family would appreciate it, as my father used so much blood in his final days, and we wouldn't want a stress on the blood supply as a result. Thank you so much, this means a lot to us. Very Respectfully, Ryan Lee Waldron, PE

The link to the retreat is

http://manresala.org/

Thanks everyone. Anything we can do would be much appreciated.
    Thanks for posting this, Curt. I'm a ways from Louisiana, but I can surely donate blood here in PA in Rick's honor.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Thanks for the update.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick was an outstanding person. I blame my neglecting the forums so long for not knowing he was in bad health. I'll be donating blood in his honor. May God bless his family.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i will be sure to donate blood in his honor.

if you guys want it might be a good idea to take a quick selfie while you are giving blood and title the pic. Maybe if enough of the guys do it, curt could grab all the pics and send his soon an email with all the pics in it donating in honor of Rick.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    While i cannot donate blood in LA, it is a reminder of the need all over...and as the expression goes...'it is in you to give!' As per the Manresa, the Jesuits do a lot of amazing work. A quick read of the Manresa House of Retreat certainly suggests it is a wonderful retreat centre. The Donations page is a little lacking for how to make a contribution, and nothing appears to be able to be done online, but there is a contact spot. I will post any replies that i get when they respond. If anyone finds a link please post it. There is however an option to comment in the online obituary.
  • Options
    bearb:
    While i cannot donate blood in LA, it is a reminder of the need all over...and as the expression goes...'it is in you to give!' As per the Manresa, the Jesuits do a lot of amazing work. A quick read of the Manresa House of Retreat certainly suggests it is a wonderful retreat centre. The Donations page is a little lacking for how to make a contribution, and nothing appears to be able to be done online, but there is a contact spot. I will post any replies that i get when they respond. If anyone finds a link please post it. There is however an option to comment in the online obituary.
    Yes Barry. Let us know. I am more than willing to donate. Thanks for your help. Your a good man.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Rick was an outstanding person. I blame my neglecting the forums so long for not knowing he was in bad health. I'll be donating blood in his honor. May God bless his family.

I don't think anything was said on the forums about it, but I could have missed something. This is the first I've heard of anything. BTW, it's good to have you back.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbass2:
    Rhamlin:

I don't think anything was said on the forums about it, but I could have missed something. This is the first I've heard of anything. BTW, it's good to have you back.
    He had mentioned a few minor health issues a while back, but never indicated anything was serious, that I know of.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Sadly it is a reminder of the impacts each and every one of the community members here has on each other. Whether we have had the pleasure of meeting and herfin in person or not, it is evident that people are cherished and valued inspite of that. Let that be a gentle reminder to us all, to ensure that people are appreciated and to acknowledge that to them..be it here or anywhere. Let me start.

Thanks for being there for me. I know that this place provides a lot of pleasure everyday. To all of those that i have met...THANKS for the great memories..and to those that i have not YET had the pleasure...I look forward to creating those future memories.
  • Options
    bearb:
    Sadly it is a reminder of the impacts each and every one of the community members here has on each other. Whether we have had the pleasure of meeting and herfin in person or not, it is evident that people are cherished and valued inspite of that. Let that be a gentle reminder to us all, to ensure that people are appreciated and to acknowledge that to them..be it here or anywhere. Let me start.

Thanks for being there for me. I know that this place provides a lot of pleasure everyday. To all of those that i have met...THANKS for the great memories..and to those that i have not YET had the pleasure...I look forward to creating those future memories.
    Amen, Barry! I've only been here for a month, but it's amazing how quickly bonds form with folks around a common interest. But it's more than that. This group of brothers is truly unique - we are blessed to have this connection and we should never take it for granted. Thank you, BOTLs! You are more than an online forum. You are truly a family!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    bearb:

Agreed.
    You realize even in his passing, he is bringing this forum family together and getting old forum family from this forum who have drifted, back together?
    I'd say that's one hell of a feat. If you don't mind me saying so.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    brianetz1:

if you guys want it might be a good idea to take a quick selfie while you are giving blood and title the pic. Maybe if enough of the guys do it, curt could grab all the pics and send his soon an email with all the pics in it donating in honor of Rick.
    willing to do that with no problem.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    brianetz1:

Is there a way we can get a fund together to donate to his retreat?
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    curtpick:
    brianetz1:

It would probably be easier for folks who were so inclined to donate directly to the retreat center, perhaps with a note or letter identifying the contribution as being made in Rick Waldron's memory.

The web site provides no information about how to make direct donations. The "Donations" page explains that the suggested cost for those attending a retreat there is $290. There is, however, a mailing address provided on the web site, which is:

Manresa House of Retreats
    P.O. Box 89
    Convent, LA 70723

• Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I also reached out to Rick's son Ryan and got the family's blessing to run with my idea. Last year I had the honor of being Rick's secret Santa, his request as many know that Rick was big into cigar hats. I had an idea of getting a hat and sending it out to any brothers interested in signing the hat an then sending it back to Rick's family. Rick advised me that the family liked the idea and that Rick's wife would be willing to send me one of Rick's hats to get this going. Any interest please post here or shoot me a PM with an addy.
  • Options
    kingjk729:
    I also reached out to Rick's son Ryan and got the family's blessing to run with my idea. Last year I had the honor of being Rick's secret Santa, his request as many know that Rick was big into cigar hats. I had an idea of getting a hat and sending it out to any brothers interested in signing the hat an then sending it back to Rick's family. Rick advised me that the family liked the idea and that Rick's wife would be willing to send me one of Rick's hats to get this going. Any interest please post here or shoot me a PM with an addy.
    I'm up for that.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    curtpick:
    brianetz1:

Sure we could send it via paypal to a trusted member here and send it in care of the forums here in remembrance of Rick. Again more than willing to do whatever it takes. We could use my paypal addy and I will provide all reciepts to everyone who donates. I do believe its tax deductable also if anyone needs that reciept. Just an idea. Could be anyones account.
  • Options
    curtpick:
    Bigshizza:
    curtpick:
    brianetz1:

Sure we could send it via paypal to a trusted member here and send it in care of the forums here in remembrance of Rick. Again more than willing to do whatever it takes. We could use my paypal addy and I will provide all reciepts to everyone who donates. I do believe its tax deductable also if anyone needs that reciept. Just an idea. Could be anyones account.
    If you're willing to facilitate that, Curt, that would be awesome. Can't think of a more honorable or trustworthy member. It would definitely streamline the process.
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    Bigshizza:
    curtpick:
    brianetz1:

It would probably be easier for folks who were so inclined to donate directly to the retreat center, perhaps with a note or letter identifying the contribution as being made in Rick Waldron's memory.

The web site provides no information about how to make direct donations. The "Donations" page explains that the suggested cost for those attending a retreat there is $290. There is, however, a mailing address provided on the web site, which is:

Manresa House of Retreats
    P.O. Box 89
    Convent, LA 70723

I believe barry is checking into it and said he will let us know thier reply. Check his post.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    From Ryan as well:

"I can't think of anything much that you could do to help, other than possibly sending my mother a note or a card. Thanks for your sentiments. Very Respectfully, Ryan Lee Waldron, PE"

If someone could PM me Ricks addy, that would be great. As many times as we have carpet bombed members with packages, I can only imagine that a bunch of cards would give her an idea of what Rick meant to the community.
  • Options
    Got to thinking about the logistics of the hat.
    This could take a lot of time to get it to everyone.

How about we all get condolences cards and mail them to one person and they can mail them to the family. The cards won't take long for everyone to get them to one person and that person send them out.
    The hat will take some serious time to get back to them.
    Just thinking out loud. Ya'll can tell me to go back to my corner if you want.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I would b down for any of the previous posts, just let me know
  • Options
    All of the above ideas are great and suggest a lot of concern and suppost. Please be reminded though that Rick passed away 2 weeks ago, on Thursday, January 12, 2014. My point is only that we have missed the immediate passing. So perhaps the cards, if sent individually might actually help the family through the process. Obviously i have no idea though what is best. Cards from all over will help in the reasonably close/immediate grieving process, and that the signed hat, and any sort of collective retreat sponsorship we can do which might help in the long term support of his Rick's memories for his family. Again, just some random thoughts.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    bearb:
    All of the above ideas are great and suggest a lot of concern and suppost. Please be reminded though that Rick passed away 2 weeks ago, on Thursday, January 12, 2014. My point is only that we have missed the immediate passing. So perhaps the cards, if sent individually might actually help the family through the process. Obviously i have no idea though what is best. Cards from all over will help in the reasonably close/immediate grieving process, and that the signed hat, and any sort of collective retreat sponsorship we can do which might help in the long term support of his Rick's memories for his family. Again, just some random thoughts.
    The impact for multiple cards from multiple different people at different times would be (I think) more meaningful then one big shot.
  • Options
    I see no reason why we cant do all the above mentioned. If you would like to donate, do so, card, do so, hat do so. Whatever you feel you can do I am certain would be appreciated.
  • Options
    bearb:
    Apologies if I'm being presumptuous, but I think better when I organize stuff.

So, the possible ways that forum members could choose to express their support for Rick's family would be...

1. Send individual cards directly to the family
    2. Pass a card through the group that people could sign, then forward it to the family.
    3. Pass a hat for people to sign and forward to the family
    4. Items 2 and 3 could be combined
    5. Donate blood in Rick's memory (Optional selfie forwarded to Curtpick to send to Rick's son)
    6. Memorial v-Herf in Rick's honor
    7. Send an individual donation in Rick's name to the Manresa Retreat Center
    8. Have an individual (Curtpick?) facilitate donations to the Retreat Center via PayPal and send one large donation from the group

Please let me know if I missed anything. These are all great ideas! My suggestion would be for folks to do whatever individual tribute they are inclined to do (like sending cards or giving blood). In addition, if someone is willing to step forward to do the card/hat pass as a group remembrance, that would reach the family later in the year, as Barry said. And, if Curt is willing to facilitate donations via PayPal to the Retreat Center, that would enable the forum members who are so inclined to make a financial contribution.

My thoughts, anyway, for what they're worth.
  • Options
    Again, lets wait on the donations until we hear from the retreat. Nothing saying we cant send them individually.The $290 they stated I am sure is just a suggestion, it covers room and board for one individual. We can send more or we can send less. Lets wait for their reply.
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    Can someone PM me Ricks addy for the card, thanks guys!