Home General Discussion
Options

What did you get today?

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Something for the winter. image
    How is it performing? Any updates for people who might be considering one of these beauties

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Mom runs one in the garage for smoking in the winter and it's awesome.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works great, but really goes through propane.  To me its a hassel, plus with a propane heater ventalation is needed so keeping the garage door open allows all that wind to come in.  I rarely rarely use mine, i just bundle up and keep the door closed.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been working good, but goes through propane and is overkill for a solo smoker, might be better to get a more directional heater, cheaper too.  Also when the temps go down, it gets less efficient. Had to change a tank at 37 even though it wasn't empty, the tank was just too cold to have enough pressure. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use a kerosene heater in the garage with the door opened just a couple of feet. Works well, and I'm one that gets cold easily! 

But on to what I'm posting for :) Thank you so much @peter4jc! I just saw the Costa Rican beans :smile: And thanks for the bonus! 

The coffee has been great, still love that Costa Rica!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Hobson once said, "It's what I live for."  :)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    It's been working good, but goes through propane and is overkill for a solo smoker, might be better to get a more directional heater, cheaper too.  Also when the temps go down, it gets less efficient. Had to change a tank at 37 even though it wasn't empty, the tank was just too cold to have enough pressure. 
    IIRC, propane vaporizes at around -40 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm told that, below that temp, propane turns to a gel-like state and it won't run through the pipes, it won't burn, etc. 

i was on a construction project in the early 70's that was located at about 9000' elevation in the Colorado Rockies. My office complex was located at the jobsite and our coldest morning up there registered at -56. Naturally, all of our furnaces, water heaters, etc. had stopped functioning during the night and most of us were unaware that it was because it was too cold for the propane to remain in a gaseous state. 

To shorten a long story, our project manager knew what caused the problem so he stationed a few laborers wearing backpack flame throwers at each propane tank on the project. The laborers would 'play' the flame around and over the propane tank to warm the propane back to more than -40 degrees. Then we could light all the burners....  There was a 500 gallon tank just outside my office window. I was kinda spooked to look out and see a laborer warming up the tank - a leak at that point wouldn't have been a good thing....

Ah, memories.....  B)

• Options
    My z runs on propane, the tanks are stored outside.  The company we used to use put some additive in there to keep them from freezing.  No matter how cold it got the prop was fine.  New company now and that **** freezes, it sucks.  The company that refills my personal tanks does the same and i have no problems in -0 temps.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My z runs on propane, the tanks are stored outside.  The company we used to use put some additive in there to keep them from freezing.  No matter how cold it got the prop was fine.  New company now and that **** freezes, it sucks.  The company that refills my personal tanks does the same and i have no problems in -0 temps.
    There shouldn't be a problem until the temp gets below -40. Up until then the propane still burns....
  • Options
    When we were in negative temps i was picking up Popsicles, very heavy ones that did not make my z run.  Had to bring two inside and rotate them out, it sucked.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your welcome bro
    It was no problem, I'm always happy to help a brother get his paws on some Opus.

The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Sketch is getting it done, is that a Gurkha key chain Jeff? not hooked up bro, happy new year
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @dirtdude

That is a solid bronze keychain from @TaraLee
    It's heavy.
    Came with a knife too.
    @CharlieHeis
    Your welcome bro, enjoy.
    Happy new year everyone
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dirtdude

That is a solid bronze keychain from @TaraLee
    It's heavy.
    Came with a knife too.
    Cool, I thought you got it with your Opus
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice @CharlieHeis. And you too @Sketch6995!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a chance to go to the B&M near my town and I found these I thought looked good anyone had these??

• Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    The cello on them are VERY yellow
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Paul stulacs are tasty
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked these up at a Chattanooga  B & M, the unbanned sticks are supposed to be very good!
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Christmas Present From my Wife that arrived a little late.
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Gaetano7890 said:
    Christmas Present From my Wife that arrived a little late.
    So there is still hope for mine?!! I had 3  boxes on order that shipped on Dec 2, still not arrived! I don't like the new policy of not be able to track them! 22 working days is tomorrow, then they will look into it!
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem, the holidays probably slowed done the process.  My box was from Oct 14 so I'm not complaining
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pick ups guys and very generous and nice jobs Jeff! Keep it up gang, awesome pick ups!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    More feedback on my propane patio heater, when the 20 # tanks start to get low, they get cold (a balmy 37 F here in Cali is cold enough to see this problem)  after running a while and the pressure drops too low for a good flame.  A workaround is to switch tanks, but I want to be able to empty the tanks at night because I pay by the tank for a refill.

There's not enough room for a 30 # tank which may or may not have the same problem and I'm not going to consider a 100 # tank, so I ended up buying a Powerblanket PLB20 gas cylinder electric heating blanket which should resolve the issue.

I might have been better off buying one of those heaters that screws on top of the cylinder for outdoor heat, it would be more directional and would probably keep the tank a bit warmer.  I could just man up and wear some long johns or bring out a blanket  instead of using the heater, but it's a nice luxury and helps keep the arthritis in my back from flaring up.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have places around me @yakster that you can refill the tanks instead of exchanging. A full tank refill is about $12 here but the cheapest exchange is $16. So it's cheaper and you are only paying for what gets put into it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    I refill at a local gas station, about $16 for a 20# tank, empty or not.