Home Non Cigar Related
Options

World Cup 2014

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
just a few hours before the opening game.

Brazil vs Croatia

any predictions on any games rounds or overall outcome?

here is my list of who will make it out of round one:

group A
Brazil, Mexico

Group B:
Spain, Netherlands

Group C:
Colombia, Japan

Group D:
England, Italy

Group E:
France, Switzerland

Group F:
Argentina, Nigeria

Group G:
Germany, Portugal

Group H:
Belgium, Russia

thats right... the US wont even make it out of the first round.

a few other long shots in there, like japan and Nigeria but they produce decent teams and since the groups they are in are not quite as strong they have a decent shot.

the swiss may not make it and honduras may in group E. honduras has something to prove even though they dont look as good on paper. thats a close call in my book.

i do have to say that it would be great to see Argentina win. their offense is just amazing. however, the old saying "offense wins the game and defense wins the tournament" is very true and the Argentina defense is at times questionable. also, i cant think of a single person from their bench. fairly shallow team.
it is also a difficult bet against Brazil.

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big Soccer guy but I my money is on France to win the whole thing.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I'll be watching when I can and I really don't care which country wins.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If the US wins 3-0 or bigger against Ghana they can get out of the group, but they have to win big against Ghana and hopefully tie portugal. I agree with most of your picks, but I think England will under perform and Uruguay will make it through and Bosnia will beat out Nigeria.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge soccer fan and played for 10+ years growing up. So excited it's world cup time. Cheering on the US and Brazil (growing up my favorite player was Ronaldo and been a fan of Brazil since). In my opinion US has to beat Ghana to have a change at getting out of group stage.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    What a BS pk off the dive and goal 3 wasn't anything special. Brazil needs to step it up.
  • Options
    The way the Croatia goalie played my under 14 team could've scored against him. He stood flat footed for two seconds on both the first and third goal. Brazil got a gift today. It's a shame for Croatia because they played well enough to win. Don't get me started on that free kick, horrendous.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Ghana will advance instead of Germany.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I'm with ya, that better be the last game that guy ref's, just awful. Brazil was not impressive, looked very middling at best, but the emotion of the day may have taken something out of them. Having watched Portugal's friendlies, I'm really not impressed, if Ronaldo is isolated they're toast. Though, given our defense that's a BIG "if."
  • Options
    I totally agree bogus pk call but I disagree with a lot of comments I'm seeing elsewhere of people calling Fred a cheater. If he's a cheater than most athletes in contact sports are cheaters cause who doesn't embellish to get a penalty called. That beings said verbal Brazil looked very flat this game.
    As for Portugal it pretty much all comes down to Ronaldo, he's been having some injury issues as of late so we'll see how that goes.
    Germany is good....very good. Don't see us beating them but I've seen crazier things happen.
    Ghana has had our number the past two cups but we should be able to beat them.
    I'm looking forward to the Spain Netherlands game tomorrow. To bad I'll be at work and won't get to see it
  • Options
    The whole FIFA organization is corrupt and reffing has been an issue for some time. Just go back and look at last years US Ghana game
  • Options
    No_one21:
    What a BS pk off the dive and goal 3 wasn't anything special. Brazil needs to step it up.
    iduno ... i mean, Brazil did score 4 goals in one game...

• Options
    Ken Light:
    really?
    i know the German team has no super stars but they play like Germans... efficient. dont forget they are ranked 4th.
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    If the US wins 3-0 or bigger against Ghana they can get out of the group, but they have to win big against Ghana and hopefully tie portugal. I agree with most of your picks, but I think England will under perform and Uruguay will make it through and Bosnia will beat out Nigeria.
    the US may be able to beat Ghana but by 3 is difficult. Portugal is a different story. i dont think the US has it in em.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    really?
    i know the German team has no super stars but they play like Germans... efficient. dont forget they are ranked 4th.
    That's just a random, completely unsupported and uneducated prediction that I felt like would be cool if I put in writing somewhere on the off chance it happens, lol
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    really?
    That's just a random, completely unsupported and uneducated prediction that I felt like would be cool if I put in writing somewhere on the off chance it happens, lol
    thats fantastic.

i support it.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    No_one21:
    iduno ... i mean, Brazil did score 4 goals in one game...

lol honestly that was an odd game. I don't know if Croatia deserved to win, but they didn't actually score in that game... conversely Brazil scored all goals, but only one was good soccer. Even though people think the Croatian goalie messed up the first goal the fact really is there was tons of traffic and Neymar put that ball at the absolute furthest point on the far post to still score. It was a good shot.
  • Options
    i agree with all of that.

the score of that game should have been 1-0 Brazil.

im watching the Mexico Cameroon game right now in the 88 minute with mexico up 1-0 and it should be 3-0 but the reffs fixed that.
    in all fairness, cameroon is playing well and has had several good shots. even with several sloppy moments from the mexican defense, cameroon just cant seem to find the back of the net. the mexican goal keeper is having a good game.

i just hope the officiating gets better than these first two games.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    kuzi16:

im watching the Mexico Cameroon game right now in the 88 minute with mexico up 1-0 and it should be 3-0 but the reffs fixed that.
    in all fairness, cameroon is playing well and has had several good shots. even with several sloppy moments from the mexican defense, cameroon just cant seem to find the back of the net. the mexican goal keeper is having a good game.

i just hope the officiating gets better than these first two games.
    well the officiating can't get any worse..
  • Options
    Can't believed Cameroon didn't score their two early chances.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    6 minutes in and the refs haven't botched any calls in the NED-ESP game. LOL
  • Options
    scarlin:
    6 minutes in and the refs haven't botched any calls in the NED-ESP game. LOL
    Its already intense too!
  • Options
    kuzi16:

+1
  • Options
    NED are looking very good
  • Options
    bert873:
    NED are looking very good
    Yes but Spain has incredible skill they just can't stay onside. Defense is just not there at all.
  • Options
    That was one amazing header. One of the best goals I've seen in a while
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    That was one amazing header. One of the best goals I've seen in a while
    +1
  • Options
    That was an awesome game. I'm not sure that Spain is gonna get out now with the goal differential. Felt bad for Casillas, he's been fantastic for such a long time.
  • Options
    I think this URU vs CRC game is the best actual competition yet tbh.
  • Options
    Yep, the Ticos are really taking it to them. The only thing I'm sad about is that Rodney Wallace is still injured and couldn't make the cup, would have been great to see a guy I watch play locally on the world stage.
  • Options
    Japan VA ivory coast turned in to one heck of a game. Impressed with japan... even though they lost.