Home Non Cigar Related
Options

World Cup 2014

Comments

• Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Oh man, I only caught the last 15 minutes of the game, but that save on Thiago Silva's header was unreal.
    I was at work pretending to work while using the watchespn app on my phone. Gotta love technology.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    perkinke:
    Oh man, I only caught the last 15 minutes of the game, but that save on Thiago Silva's header was unreal.
    I was at work pretending to work while using the watchespn app on my phone. Gotta love technology.
    That's what I was doing last week, but today I was stuck in meetings that I had to pay attention to.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    26 min in and this Australian team is lookin GOOD.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    26 min in and this Australian team is lookin GOOD.
    Terrible lapse of judgement on them letting NED score, but holy crap that Cahill goal a minute after!
  • Options
    AUS 2-2 NED at 58 minutes ... what a game. best one i have had the opportunity to watch so far this tournament.
  • Options
    I'm not happy about NED's 3rd goal. I just wanted an upset I guess. Great game though you're right.
  • Options
    No_one21:
    I'm not happy about NED's 3rd goal. I just wanted an upset I guess. Great game though you're right.
    i have no horse in this race. just a fun match to watch.

in fact, the next game i am excited about to watch is Sunday... Germany vs Ghana.

everything else is just because i enjoy international soccer.

• Options
    kuzi16:
    No_one21:
    i have no horse in this race. just a fun match to watch.

in fact, the next game i am excited about to watch is Sunday... Germany vs Ghana.

everything else is just because i enjoy international soccer.

TBH I only really care about Spain and the US but otherwise I typically pick a side rather arbitrarily after each game starts.
  • Options
    Spain is not having a good tournament. Great goal by Chile. sloppy defense from Spain.

they capitalized on a momentary lapse.
    they are also takins Spain out the quick pass stye they love to play. the real question is: Can Chile keep up the intensity and pressure?
  • Options
    slopy slopy play by Spain. it just looked lazy. WTF happened to Spain?
  • Options
    They're -6 that's terrible. I'm ashamed honestly. Still love them though. Might be an interesting game against Australia
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short World Cup for defending champs. Spain looked terrible. Watching CMR vs CRO and couldn't believe what that CMR player was thinking throwing an elbow into the back
  • Options
    Really Argentina? An entire half of not scoring against IRAN.
  • Options
    Holy *** that injury time Messi goal... Iran played REALLY well I think but you have to stop Messi the whole damn time, no breaks.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    Holy *** that injury time Messi goal... Iran played REALLY well I think but you have to stop Messi the whole damn time, no breaks.
    Sam beat me to the punch there. I really thought Iran was going to pull off the impossible.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Sh
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    ejgorman:
    Sh
  • Options
    Until Klose and Schweinsteiger came on I thought Germany was toast. Man, I can't wait for the US game tomorrow! We've gone from "I hope we can make it out of the group" to "Holy crap, we could win the group!"
  • Options
    perkinke:
    Until Klose and Schweinsteiger came on I thought Germany was toast. Man, I can't wait for the US game tomorrow! We've gone from "I hope we can make it out of the group" to "Holy crap, we could win the group!"
    That's just the media. Realistically, we're still lucky if we make it out of the group. The way we played mostly against Ghana does not bode well for us against Portugal even with their various issues. We could win, yes, but I'd say there's the same chance we lose or draw as win. Given that, the end result is still up for grabs and we'd likely be getting a negative goal differential in game 3 while Portugal would likely get a positive.

Just saying, the situation is mostly luck right now. But still, GO USA
  • Options
    No_one21:
    perkinke:
    That's just the media. Realistically, we're still lucky if we make it out of the group. The way we played mostly against Ghana does not bode well for us against Portugal even with their various issues. We could win, yes, but I'd say there's the same chance we lose or draw as win. Given that, the end result is still up for grabs and we'd likely be getting a negative goal differential in game 3 while Portugal would likely get a positive.

Just saying, the situation is mostly luck right now. But still, GO USA
    Not really, considering the way that Portugal played against Germany, the fact that they've lost three of their starters (2 of them defenders IIRC, but it would almost benefit us to have Pepe on the field, you can always count on him to do something stupid), and their history of crumbling after bad starts I think it's a better than even chance the US can win. The US has to play well, but remember Portugal barely made the cup. Ronaldo is the only reason they made it past Sweden in the playoff and he's not at full speed (though still dangerous). I don't think we'll hang 5 on them like Germany, but the game is very winnable.
  • Options
    Oh snap. I'll take it.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Oh snap. I'll take it.
    Yeah, still a good chance we get out of the group. It was painful right at the end. Sitting there and getting ready to celebrate, then Ronaldo sails that ball across and I lean back holding my breath begging for someone to get a head on it or something. Then whoosh, I was punched in the gut and just exhale in exasperation. Can't believe Bradley gave up that ball in midfield. Thought he played with some real field awareness most of the game. Botched a couple of passes by not putting enough pace on them, but showed some flare and set up some other guys on runs. Really disappointed in those last seconds, but that doesn't take away the fact that we looked much better than in the previous game. I'm feeling better about what we might accomplish.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Jones' goal was an absolute beauty, but man, in the bar I was at we were all out of our seats when that last cross went in and just deflated. Guys played really well, especially Fabian Johnson, that kid tore up the Portuguese. Thursday's games should be awesome, everyone needs a result.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Jones' goal was an absolute beauty, but man, in the bar I was at we were all out of our seats when that last cross went in and just deflated. Guys played really well, especially Fabian Johnson, that kid tore up the Portuguese. Thursday's games should be awesome, everyone needs a result.
    There were about four stretches in a row where Jones really aggravated me with something. He got that ball at the top of the box and I screamed, "don't try to shoot that again!"

Humility is learned.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Sad I missed the end of the game. I could only watch up to our first goal before my soccer playoffs started. Not that it matters but we won the championship...
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    kuzi16:
    Oh snap. I'll take it.
    Yeah, still a good chance we get out of the group. It was painful right at the end. Sitting there and getting ready to celebrate, then Ronaldo sails that ball across and I lean back holding my breath begging for someone to get a head on it or something. Then whoosh, I was punched in the gut and just exhale in exasperation. Can't believe Bradley gave up that ball in midfield. Thought he played with some real field awareness most of the game. Botched a couple of passes by not putting enough pace on them, but showed some flare and set up some other guys on runs. Really disappointed in those last seconds, but that doesn't take away the fact that we looked much better than in the previous game. I'm feeling better about what we might accomplish.
    Everyone's focused on the end of this game. For me, they lost the game by switching strategy after they took the lead. I can see doing this if you're the favorite, but turtling up and playing defense with a flimsy lead is death if you're the underdog. You fought all game to win and now you're leaving it up to a wing and a prayer? Terrible, terrible coaching, and the worst was the strategy was praised by the announcers.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    ITA vs URU just started.
    not gunna watch the Costa Rica vs England game.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    ITA vs URU just started.
    not gunna watch the Costa Rica vs England game.
    Idk about you but I'd like to see ENG win one so they don't all die of shame.
  • Options
    yes but this game means more... and now Italy is down to 10 on the field.
  • Options
    Italy played for a draw.
    when you dont play for a win, you end up with a loss.