Home Non Cigar Related
Options

World Cup 2014

Comments

• Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Japan VA ivory coast turned in to one heck of a game. Impressed with japan... even though they lost.
    Drogba seemed to really bring energy to the team when he get on the field.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone see foot volley?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Great games in general today. Love the fast attacking teams, more exciting than the one that take it slow but not always better skill.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Refs were a ton better too.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    That sucks. First world cup game ever for Bosnia - Herzegovina and 2 minutes in they have an own goal.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunate. They've been holding off Argentina and had some chances of their own too.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    On the whole I thought Bosnia played fairly well for their first time out, until his goal they had Messi completely shut down; and heck, at least they pulled one back rather than get shut out. But man, the guy who ducked out of the way and caused the own goal rather than clearing the cross owes the rest of the team big.
  • Options
    Well this game is getting out of hand quickly.
  • Options
    30 freaking seconds!!!
  • Options
    Good start for the US ...
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    This. Wow. And I don't have ESPN, so that stinks, but wow. Go Clint.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    I don't have ESPN either but I have Univision lol and not good about Altidore out and Dempsey almost got injured too

also Americans are playing pretty badly. Looks like an MLS game not an international game. Bad D, fast attacks that fail due to no 1on1 skills. Gotta step it up.
  • Options
    No_one21:
    I don't have ESPN either but I have Univision lol and not good about Altidore out and Dempsey almost got injured too

also Americans are playing pretty badly. Looks like an MLS game not an international game. Bad D, fast attacks that fail due to no 1on1 skills. Gotta step it up.
    We really don't have anyone that's super flashy or skillful 1on1. I would say Dempsey is our best. That's one type of player the US needs.
  • Options
    We're getting worse. Barely have the ball sustained in their half and they have TONS of goal chances.
  • Options
    Yea we've completely gone into defense mode. This could really come back to haunt us.
  • Options
    bert873:
    Yea we've completely gone into defense mode. This could really come back to haunt us.
    It did. The way Ghana has been playing there was no way in hell we'd keep a clean sheet. But.... As I type... Goallllllllllllllllllllllll
  • Options
    Didn't expect the US win. Awesome.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Woohoo! It wasn't pretty, but damn if it isn't sweet!
  • Options
    Martel:
    kuzi16:
    This. Wow. And I don't have ESPN, so that stinks, but wow. Go Clint.
    I watch online, not sure but I think it's free.
  • Options
    I avoided this thread all day since I was in the clinic until 8 tonight. They won't be able to sit on a lead like that with Portugal, but a win's a win. They can make a game of it against Portugal, but they'll have to do a better job of maintaining possession and creating opportunities.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    ejgorman:
    I avoided this thread all day since I was in the clinic until 8 tonight. They won't be able to sit on a lead like that with Portugal, but a win's a win. They can make a game of it against Portugal, but they'll have to do a better job of maintaining possession and creating opportunities.
    if portugal plays like they did against germany then the US has a chance. if portugal shows up... well thats a loss if you ask me.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    ejgorman:
    if portugal plays like they did against germany then the US has a chance. if portugal shows up... well thats a loss if you ask me.
    Personally, I think Portugal is overrated. They have a couple of brilliant playmakers, but if they play like they did against Germany the game is up for grabs. I hope that the US win gives them some momentum and Portugal's spanking by Germany doesn't inspire them...best case scenario, I know. US needs to play possession and create some opportunities. Hoping today's game got the World Cup nerves out of their system. Should be interesting to say the least.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    I think Portugal, as usual, has already mentally packed up and gone home. BUT the US definitely needs to play much better than they did. That little slashing run that Ghana made all game was open every dang time and they put far too little pressure on crosses. Part of that I think is playing that narrow midfield diamond without much cover for the fullbacks. Hopefully scraping out the win will be a wake up call and they can put in more than 15 minutes of quality play. But what was up with all the muscle pulls? Did they over train or under hydrate? 77 degrees and 70% humidity is not exactly dangerous to play in.
  • Options
    I'm calling Klinsmann out on this. He knows how to prepare for this, he's been there. Having both played and coached, that can only be due to warm-up imho. It's highly unlikely they're overtraining at this stage. Klinsmann also needs to have a little faith in his squad. They're a talented bunch, but hearing your coach express his doubts in your abilities publicly has to have an effect on your confidence. I'd love to see him play with the roster a bit for the match against Portugal. Sub assist and sub goal on the game winner. Might as well give the performers a chance.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    i know very little about Algeria's team but i have to say they have had a very solid first half. their play isnt amazing but they seem to excel at capitalizing on Belgium's mistakes and one of the major ones (beyond the penalty) is that Belgium doesnt want to play the way they are facing. they keep turning into Algerian defenders that also happen to be playing a very organized game.

ton of respect for the Algerian keeper too. Belgium cant seem to finish, but they have no shortage of good shots.

very fun half to watch.
    cant wait for the second half to see if Belgium turns it on.
  • Options
    ejgorman:
    I'm calling Klinsmann out on this. He knows how to prepare for this, he's been there. Having both played and coached, that can only be due to warm-up imho. It's highly unlikely they're overtraining at this stage. Klinsmann also needs to have a little faith in his squad. They're a talented bunch, but hearing your coach express his doubts in your abilities publicly has to have an effect on your confidence.
    i agree with this 100%
    he may be a good coach but his PR is something to be worked on.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    cant wait for the second half to see if Belgium turns it on.
    they did.
    still cant find the back of the net as much as they should have given possession time and shots on goal.

Belgium's first goal really energized them. it was a very different team from one moment to the next.
  • Options
    Gotta say Mexico was saved by their goalie. He had a couple of marvelous saves.
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    Gotta say Mexico was saved by their goalie. He had a couple of marvelous saves.
    +1 on that
  • Options
    Oh man, I only caught the last 15 minutes of the game, but that save on Thiago Silva's header was unreal.