Nate's Cigar Review

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    DID TOO!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    San Cristobal – Robusto – Bought on 6/10 smoked on 7/25/08

Prelight – Smelled of chocolate, actually made me salivate. This is one great looking cigar and really is exciting me
    Light – The light was a single flame butane my old trusty one. Light pretty well, nice even and hot orange ember on the tip. After first blow on the tip it looked even. I then proceeded to cut the cigar and blew through it. This provided a perfect pea-sized black dot right in the center. Either the center was wrapped too tight, or I just lit it ****. Time will tell
    First third – The first third is what I would call a classic cigar tobacco taste. Spice as to that of maybe pepper is hinted on the aftertaste and the pure smoke is rich and white but no flavors I can put my finger on. The spice builds under the first .5 inch and the taste is still good, but bland. I did have a salad with trail mix nuts, raisins, carribean jerk chicken, romaine lettuce and Italian dressing on it, so my taste buds may be a little worn out, but I hope they awaken with the rest of this cigar. I kinda want to say coffee grounds now, maybe, just maybe. Two more puffs and the chocolate comes back! Not creamy by any means, just a hint of chocolate. Crappy part is that there is really good flavor to this cigar, just can’t identify, but it is really good!
    Second Third – The cigar kind of mellowed out a bit, no more chocolate but just a mellow and smooth tobacco flavor. Very relaxing, the spice has toned down and went away as well. *Corrective Light (little bit of tunneling? Or maybe just me being paranoid for the Oliva did it so much)* OH! One puff of ALLOT of ash… just ash, not hot like it’s burning but just ASH (ick). I don’t know what that was, but after some heavy blowing through it the cigar takes off again. Spice and a hint of chocolate hit the tongue again. But the ash is still hitting me in the back of the throat. So I ash this puppy for a second time and the ash is very dirty and flaky. It holds on tight, just little flakes everywhere. After the ash and heavy blowing the cigar evens out, I clear my palate by swishing water around and then it’s time to get this guy back! Wrapping up this third would have to be again, just the flavour of tobacco.
    Last third – This is the home stretch, let’s not disappoint! I remember what Kuzi said and that the cigar are Alkali… this cigar embodies it, so I try to offset it with some sweetness and the girlfriend hands me a Laffy Taffy cherry. I make sure to rub it all around my mouth to take the ashy-ness of the cigar away. By God it works! The cigar is not as harsh, yet the last third is just more tobacco. I find myself licking the inner part of my teeth in between puffs just to get the sweetness out. This cigar is heating up and the word “Cigarette” came into my mind. It’s not that bad, but it sure is not that flavorful anymore. I don’t know if I can finish it….. Okay, last puff, nothing but heat, ash and tobacco. I put this guy down for good.
    Overall – This thing looks superb, the band is very colorful and great. The cigar is constructed well and is pleasing to the eye, the prelight and light are very good, the first third is where the climax is unfortunately, and it just tapered. No flavors and just a cigar afterwards. It burned pretty good, the ash was strong but flakey as mentioned earlier. The overall taste was rated as interestingly bland. I have one more of these bastards sitting, hopefully some magical flavor fairy will break into my house and open my humidor and rape this thing and impregnate this stick with some flavor babies, otherwise I don’t know what any more time will do to this thing. (73) Lowest score yet!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Wow las, I don't like to hear that.. I have a pair of these that I keep admiring every time I open the treasure chest, Now you have me thinking. Well thanks for the review, maybe mine will hit me differently .. We shall see.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Thanks for the info, Las. Disappointing to hear, but no less useful.
  • Options
    La Flor Dominicana "Reserva Espcial" El Jocko Natural - Preferido

This guy was awesome!!! Had about 2 months resting and was a saint to my taste buds. There is no full review because I figure after the 11th MGD Light that my review skills and my accessiblity to a laptop are limited
    Mainly though it burned well with only three touchups, the cigar tasted of cinnamon, coffee grounds and faint chocolate and I would definately buy this one again!

Anyone who wants a small cigar that kicks ass... buy this one
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    San Cristobal – Robusto Overall – This thing looks superb, the band is very colorful and great. The cigar is constructed well and is pleasing to the eye, the prelight and light are very good, the first third is where the climax is unfortunately, and it just tapered. No flavors and just a cigar afterwards. It burned pretty good, the ash was strong but flakey as mentioned earlier. The overall taste was rated as interestingly bland. I have one more of these bastards sitting, hopefully some magical flavor fairy will break into my house and open my humidor and rape this thing and impregnate this stick with some flavor babies, otherwise I don’t know what any more time will do to this thing. (73) Lowest score yet!

maybe it wasnt the cigar. maybe it was you. i dont mean that in a mean way but sometimes your palate is just off. dont be so quick to write off a cigar. you may try it again on a later date and love it. that hppened to me on the punch magnum.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Lasabar:
    San Cristobal – Robusto Overall – This thing looks superb, the band is very colorful and great. The cigar is constructed well and is pleasing to the eye, the prelight and light are very good, the first third is where the climax is unfortunately, and it just tapered. No flavors and just a cigar afterwards. It burned pretty good, the ash was strong but flakey as mentioned earlier. The overall taste was rated as interestingly bland. I have one more of these bastards sitting, hopefully some magical flavor fairy will break into my house and open my humidor and rape this thing and impregnate this stick with some flavor babies, otherwise I don’t know what any more time will do to this thing. (73) Lowest score yet!

maybe it wasnt the cigar. maybe it was you. i dont mean that in a mean way but sometimes your palate is just off. dont be so quick to write off a cigar. you may try it again on a later date and love it. that hppened to me on the punch magnum.

I'm actually in agreance with you... that's why I put I had the flavorful salad... My tongue and buds may just have been worn out... I have another one resting and we'll see!!!
  • Options
    Lets hope for better results on the next one.. Someone posted a glowing review on the what 'cha smokin forum which encouraged me ( like that's ever difficult to do ) to pick some up..and a 73 ! lets blame it on the overwhelmed tasebuds and give 'em a re-review.
  • Options
    8/6/08 – Rocky Patel Summer Blend – 1.5 months of resting
    Pairing – Just tap water chilled in a bottle, my usual when I wanna do some serious flavor profiling of the cigar at hand.
    Pre-Light – Great Smell a hint of citrus, maybe chocolate? Very smooth and pronounced but not harsh. Mellow on the nose, but I knew right away that I had taken the plastic off when I smelled it abruptly
    Lighting- Used my single butane torch like always, the only downfall was a brisk breeze was in the air so the cigar may have been scorched a little for the wind was bending the blue-flame every which way. After lighting I clipped the cigar with a doube-guiottine cutter
    First Impression – The draw was very loose. The first puff I was wondering if I had done something wrong, but then more smoke that I knew what to do with came out of my mouth. That was very suprising and pleasant. I like allot of smoke and this cigar delivers immediately. The glowing orange end though does has a pronounced dark/black spot that no amount of lighting can keep lit, so I believe it may be a small plug or something, but not affecting the cigar so far
    First Third – I believe through the piles of smoke that this is a young cigar. There is an acidic taste to it, maybe a little harsh but not too bad at all. After the acidity it mellows to just a spiciness and then maybe followed by a earthy almost coffee ground (but I’m not gonna say coffee just yet) and the word CITRUS just keeps popping in my head. Not the most even burn though but it’s consistently uneven, it’s not fully canoeing so I think I’m good, may have just been the lighting too. The acidity is mellowing out some and the cigar is earthy. I don’t know how or why, but it’s earthy. Almost a mossy aftertaste if you will but woody. I did have a major relight, but the wind is to blame, just gotta keep in mind where the wind is blowing and rotate accordingly. Lastly about the first third is the ash is very flaky and poor. I know there’s a slight breeze but the ash seems like it’s running away from this cigar, there’s bit and pieces everywhere with this thing
    Second third – Well I’m trying to figure out the whole nose breathing thing, for I’m sitting in front of a flavor wheel and the damn thing is just back and forth for me and the flavors aren’t pronounced. Well I took a draw in and I can’t quite figure out the smoke, swallow, then rest go through nose thing, so I just drew’n’blew… Holy ***… That unleashed my nose and taste buds unleashed! Too bad I was for the most part just coughing and spitting that the flavor that struck me left me and all I could think of was “WOW that was intense flavors… What the HELL was that?” When I do blow through my nose the thought of WOOD is very pronounced but that’s still not the flavor, that’s just the smell in the ‘ol nostrils. The flavor still reminds me of light citrus, a bit of acidity and then smooth wood, not like fresh cut wood, but that of an old school room with wooden walls, floors, and desks. So maybe used wood? This third the cigar is still flaky on the ash and is picking up some hint of spice.
    Last Third – Now is when mother nature is pissing me off. The wind is steady from the east, then when I’m not paying attention it wraps around my house and is from the west. So there is truly burn issues and the loose draw doesn’t help for this thing is getting really hot and now starting to taste just like tobacco. I’m gonna let this guy sit for a helluva long time between puffs and hope that corrects it……. Okay that helped and the last third though is a patient’s man’s game and the loose draw makes it unbearable. This smoke is cut short but was tasty, refreshing relaxing and a good smoke
    Overall – This guy is a nice relaxing smoke that has potential with the other one resting awhile to be a great contender for the top spot. On a cool and calm night this cigar even though cut short lasted over an hour and was a woody and citrusy blend that refreshed. It had no contruction problems on the outside but the draw was extremely loose which made for it to burn quicker but gave me the amount of smoke I like, and that is TONS. All-in-all I like this guy. Not as strong as other Rocky Patel’s I’ve had but this guy was just what it said it was… the summer collection, so grab some sweet tea and this guy and be happy that you can still smoke ‘em! (87)
  • Options
    Hey las, once again a very informative well thought out review. Thanks for taking the time with this one. I can really get a feel for the experience that cigar gave you. I do believe I shall pick up a few and see how they work for me.
  • Options
    here is how i get a bit of smoke through the nose

draw as usual.
    swish like you would a wine with mouth closed.
    puff up your cheekes and let out about 75% of the smoke.
    close your mouth again and start exhaling through your nose and forcing your cheeks in to their normal resting state. this will force the smoke out of the nose.
  • Options
    Lazy, Are you blowing through the nose at all. Because I noticed on your San Cristobal and the RP Summer you missed a lot of strength and pepper that are extremely noticeable through the nose. Blow that San Cristobal through the nose and see if you don't tear up. Similar with the RP but not quite as strong.

Great reviews though, my friend.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Lazy, Are you blowing through the nose at all. Because I noticed on your San Cristobal and the RP Summer you missed a lot of strength and pepper that are extremely noticeable through the nose.
    this is actually very common. many many cigars are better when you taste them through the nose.
  • Options
    Yes... I've been learing the blow nose method... and the Summer blend was a powerhouse... it was strong but then I did blow the whole draw through the nose... that is what made me cry... but for those 45 seconds of tearing up it was excellent!!!
  • Options
    DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    i find that people who smoke cigarettes or used to smoke them tend to be alot better at the nose tech
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Yes... I've been learing the blow nose method... and the Summer blend was a powerhouse... it was strong but then I did blow the whole draw through the nose... that is what made me cry... but for those 45 seconds of tearing up it was excellent!!!
    Bravo, man, BRAVO! the whole draw of a summer through the nose! Wow that'll fire up the senses I try to mix it up sometimes i'll blow the first third of a draw through the nose other time the middle and typically i do send the last third through the ol' schnauz.
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    i find that people who smoke cigarettes or used to smoke them tend to be alot better at the nose tech
    Hey Dias, I believe you have hit upon the secret here. All former or current cigarette smokers that I know have no problem with the " nose tasting " of a cigar. People without a cigarette history seem to struggle with the technique. And will almost swallow the smoke in order to get it. That is the only benifit I ever gained from cigarettes.
  • Options
    same i have no problem taking it threw my nose but i used to smoke
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    A little suggestion Dias, You may want to watch how you word things around here. Beavis and Butthead show up often and will let you hear it. But I know what you mean..
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    Heh he likes to take it through the nose! What did you used to smoke? Pole?

Just proving your point kas. BTW you usually start it.
  • Options
    LOL thanks kas and maduro yeah i didnt think as i was typing im sure you all will have a field day with this...
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    LOL thanks kas and maduro yeah i didnt think as i was typing im sure you all will have a field day with this...
    Are you saying yea, you used to smoke pole?
  • Options
    no madure that was in your fantasy ;P i used to smoke Marlboro lights cigarettes
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    It's not over yet, this will go on a while. But know that no matter what is said, it is really all for a laugh. Ha Ha frickin Ha !
  • Options
    DiasFlak:
    no madure that was in your fantasy ;P i used to smoke Marlboro lights cigarettes
    Nice comeback. LOL I used to smoke Marlboro Menthols and then milds when they came out.

Kas, whats got ur panties in a bunch today?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    DiasFlak:
    Nice comeback. LOL I used to smoke Marlboro Menthols and then milds when they came out.

I'm going Comando right now so there is no bunching going on. I can just tell that soon Urbi will join us and put his three cents in.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    DiasFlak:

I'm going Comando right now so there is no bunching going on. I can just tell that soon Urbi will join us and put his three cents in.
    And thats a bad thing? Come on you got to admit this forum has gotten a lot looser since urbs has been around.
  • Options
    thats a good thing if everyone was uptight i probably wouldn't stick around
  • Options
    Thats my take on it Dias. But I hope if I ever trully offended anyone they would let me know.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    For Maddy, et al:

PTFTW!!