Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Nate's Cigar Review

124»

Comments

• Options
    "Rocky Patel – Vintage 1999 Connecticut Good start, like the perfecto shape, short 45 minute cigar. Smoked it while taking a drive around HWY 100 but it went out on me. Kinda harsh and not the best smoke (Reclaimed – 4)"

My experience was different. The smoke started off a little dry, but sweet. About halfway into it it became more earthly and creamy, but very smooth. The smoke on this stick was so good I wanted to eat it! Near the end the stick became a bit too warm which let to a more harsh taste. I would def put this on my "to smoke again" list.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    jlzimmerman:
    The smoke on this stick was so good I wanted to eat it!
    I don't recommend this it leads to one hell of an upset stomach.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jlzimmerman:
    "Rocky Patel – Vintage 1999 Connecticut Good start, like the perfecto shape, short 45 minute cigar. Smoked it while taking a drive around HWY 100 but it went out on me. Kinda harsh and not the best smoke (Reclaimed – 4)"

My experience was different. The smoke started off a little dry, but sweet. About halfway into it it became more earthly and creamy, but very smooth. The smoke on this stick was so good I wanted to eat it! Near the end the stick became a bit too warm which let to a more harsh taste. I would def put this on my "to smoke again" list.
    Yeah... that's what the "Reclaimed" means on it... I had this little guy for many years and let it dry out and then reclaimed it.

It was okay but the drying out completely made it different
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    great review Nate im glad your first gurkha was a great one i havnt heard any real problems with this brand and most people seem to really enjoy them, you made this stick sound like heaven
  • Options
    Although I've been gone for awhile I was still keeping up with the Reviews a little, I did try to ENJOY my cigars more than concentrate on them, but I did keep up the cigar Journal (some sticks got missed, but I still have their bands...

And AWAY WE GO!

09/22/08 – Rocky Patel Fusion Double Maduro – In humi since July 10th
    Not a whole big review of this guy, but just a relaxing smoke after a long day of doing friggin nothing. Very rich smoke and flavorful from the get-go. Good solid construction and a little spice to perk up the afternoon.
    09/28/08 - ITC 10th anniversary Churchill… got nothing on this guy, fought with Katie
    09/30/08 – Davidoff Millenium Blend – Toro
    Great smooth smoke and maybe one of the best very full-flavored and great, smoked on the day I got my license back!!! No review for it was before work, but tasty!
    Sancho Panza – Double Maduro
    Smoked up north on vacation, halfway through got ammonia
    Arturo Fuente – Hemmingway
    Smoked while fishing up north… AWESOME
    Rocky Patel – Summer Collection
    Great Spice and great flavor up north!!!
    10/27/08 – Ghurka Beast – Birthday Cigar
    Very mellow and very smooth, lasted over 2:15 at the bar!
    11/2/08 – Padron 3000
    Nice little guy, very smooth and good

Feels good to be back in the Game!
  • Options
    11/4/08 – ELECTION DAY! – Liga Privada No. 9
    a. Prelight – Cigar is very dark and very smooth. Toothy and oily to the touch, no major veins, no major defects the build of this cigar is totally well done. It smells of rich coffee and the taste of it is a bittersweet.
    b. Lighting – Lit with a triple torch for I’m outside in this 71degree weather and it’s NOVEMBER!
    c. First third – This cigar is a hefty one! It has a smooth and bitter spice to it. Coffee turns to coffee grounds when lit. The spice stings the tongue but the exhale through the nose is not overpowering at all… in fact the smoke through the nose usually makes my eyes water a little, but a half mouth full doesn’t phase me one bit. Truly Coffee is this guys greatest attribute, and the smooth spice is also great! The cigar opens up slightly to an almost grass/earthyness to it and mellows out a bit.
    d. Second third – This guy comes back with the coffee and is starting to sting my tongue again! It’s getting more and more bitter (stale coffee) but still great. The wind picked up again and the burn went crazy… but after I ashed it (1.5”) it corrected itself and went back to perfect. The last bit of the second third gave way to some sweetness in the smoke. Just a hint and I almost missed it as I was reading about the election tonight
    e. Last Third – WHEW! My eyes are watering, this guy just perked up! A woody/coffee taste now, like a piece of oak soaked in folger’s… but the spice is kicking it in! I blew through my nose and got an unsuspecting rush to my flavor buds! Got really bitter and then had to put it out, but was a great smoke
    f. Overall – This guy was built like a rock, no cello when bought and held up all these months and tasted superb and changed very well throughout with taste.
    (88)
  • Options
    03/15/09 – CAO Brazilia Box Press (Aged 9 Months in my humi)
    a. First cigar of the year and first one in many months! Windy Day and paired with 2 Miller Lite's. Even though it was windy this guy really opened up and took flight and was fantastic. Rich textures of coffee and chocolate and lots of good smoke and the first cigar that actually was perfectly burned and needed no attention from me even with the wind. GREAT CIGAR and look forward to many more that I have aged for a long time!

03/31/09 – CAO Lx2 Robusto a. Had this one with some Miller Lite at Prime Cigar and was VERY powerful! The ligero leaf was very good, but the cigar was brand new so didn’t really enjoy too much. But this guy in the Humi for a year would be fantastic!
  • Options
    04/18/09 – Perdomo Reserve Cabinet Special “Champagne” (in Humi since 07/04/08)

a. The pairing – My first cigar with a glass of scotch! Paired with a Chivas Regal 12yr and some ice (it’s the first day over60 degrees and it’s currently at 66!

b. The look – This cigar is a “Wow-er” in my book. From the orange cello that makes it look like “Crystal” champagne to the beautiful Connecticut wrapper that surrounds it. And the large and prominent label that is orange and black with gold embossing. The wrapper has one major vein that is worrying me but other than that this was great!!

c. Prelight smell: I was too worried to get this baby lit that I really didn’t do this, I was too excited!!

d. The cut – Straight cut double-blade cutter and first cut is easy and perfect, only took off a little!

e. Draw- Prelight this thing was a breeze!!

f. First inch – I’m doing the first inch just because I am outside and have to light with a three-flame torch lighter, and that’s just not good to light with properly, but it worked. Very spicy and very shocking. I have a preconceived (and bad) notion that a Connecticut wrapper is a lighter cigar. I’m wrong so far, but we’ll wait and see till after the “scorched” tobacco is gone and the flavors start to unwrap. The first inch can be summed up in one hyphened word – Coffee-ground. Rich and very heavy smoke come through to the lips and not really spicy yet (my tongue isn’t burning) but I can taste a rich coffee or dark cocoa!

g. First third – What a PAIR! The scotch is dry and sharp and so is the cigar and they are a good duo. The scotch is kind of overpowering the cigar but still good. The flavors have mellowed a bit, and my first prediction of the cigar being strong is wrong. It’s either lost some edge or it’s being overrun by the scotch. The first third is very earthy and coffee. This guy is burning perfectly too, there’s a slight breeze that is picking up in spurts and the cigar is still worthy of it’s picture being taken for Cigar Aficianado.!

h. Second third – This is the mellow stage. The scotch is more prevalent here to perk my taste buds up, this is okay though for I’m preoccupied with writing in my journal and enjoyihg the day. The coffe grounds have turned to coffee. Less bite more flavor. Still very earthy, not much else to say about it though. The cigar did go out on me, but that’s from neglect, I got preoccupied with baseball and didn’t keep puffing. So had to relight!

i. Last third – Partly because of the relight and partly due to the remaining section of the cigar this guy is picking up some spice and really getting good! The remainder did pick up some spice and did keep my interested, I did not smoke as long as I would have liked for time was the issue, but the coffee and earthyness really picked up on this cigar!
  • Options
    6/14-6/20 Up North Had quite a few cigars
    a. La Aurora Robusto
    b. Man O War
    c. C10
    d. Cusano Maduro 18

6/23/09 After Training - Indian Tabac Co Maduro
    b. Not much to say, it was 90+ degrees out and humid as hell, I smoked this one at Shepherds and it burnt like *** and kept going out on me… I blame the humidity
  • Options
    07/03/09 – 8am – 5 Vegas Serie ‘A’ Artisan

a. This is the one that I purchased the 10pack of and I’ve only had this guy for about a week in the Fridge-a-dor

b. Prelight – This is a very aromatic and sweet smelling cigar. It lends itself to a chocolaty or almost rich dark roast aroma. The lick on the cap is smooth and very oily, yet no real flavor coming off of the cigar.

c. Appearance – This cigar is very dark and veiny with many pronounced veins, none which seem to worrysome, yet they are there. The cigar is wrapped in cedar and the huge black and gold label is very nice.

d. Cut with a double-blad cutter the draw is a little tight, so I cut a smidge more and it still seems tight, yet not to ruin the wrapper I begin anyway. Roasting with a single flame torch lighter. The 8am winds aren’t anything to speak of so I can easily let this one light the right way.

e. First Light – this one lights rather quickly, and being only a week old I worry about dryness in the cigar for I don’t know the conditions it’s been in while in transit but even though it seems a little dry the cigar is bountiful of flavors right away, no spice really just a mild and smooth taste to it. Almost I would say leather, the best way to describe it is that it has the smooth and rich “Coffee” taste but no bite or spice. Very light to medium bodies in this cigar.

f. First Third – This one may be a little too dry for I do think it’s burning rather quickly. Nothing to much on the palate to speak of except that I think I found what the taste is. This cigar tastes very much woody. Very oaky or cedar heavy in the flavor, that would make sense as well for it’s wrapped in cedar. After about an inch the cigar through the nose can pick a hint of spice, and the wood/earth flavor really permeate the senses, yet this cigar seems lighter for the finish is short and consistent. I actually really can’t taste too much of the tobacco after a long exhale. Quite enjoyable and a perfect smoke for I have not eaten yet today and it’s early in the morning. The ash is about an inch and looking quite homely so I decided to ash it and it came off with no problem, I do believe this is a long filler cigar, but hopefully I don’t end up with ash all over me at some point. As to my previous point about the draw… it still seems a bit tight, yet the smoke is plentiful and the cigar is flavorful. The burn is uneven but that is to be expected with a brand new cigar in the Fridge-a-dor and it’s nothing that isn’t corrected with the slight breeze here in Wisconsin.

g. Second Third – Now I have never tasted “peat” before but in my dealings with scotch I came to understand a little bit what Peat means and this cigar is picking up spice but the afformentioned NON-Spicy finish is best described as a wood/peat finish. Very mellow but takes over your mouth. And in the middle of this cigar it is beginning to pick up some punch and get stronger. This cigar has an all-mouth finish and the spice dissipates quickly but my whole mouth has this delightful, not yet experienced taste in it. I still pick up the wood, but the flavor is permeating my tongue, cheeks and roof of my whole mouth. This is best described (but does not taste like) there is potpourri in my mouth and the flavor is that strong. I’m still sticking with the Peat for the taste. There is a hint of coffee coming through now in the middle of the cigar. My tongue is a little overloaded for no tastes have dropped off, just more have come into play. The spice is steady now, nothing too strong but well defined. A rich coffee is now the most pronounced flavor with a dark and roasted flavor this is highly welcomed and a very old friend to me in my cigar smoking. Maybe because it is what is more prominent in the cigars that I smoke, or maybe it reminds me of the time I had my first coffee, it was completely different and “thinner” than I expected, yet was just as delicious as it was suprising. Lastly, the burn has evened out quite a bit and now it’s perfect and self-correcting, still very light ash so I have ashed it every inch or so.

h. Last Third – The spice is still the biggest noticeable element and the cigar is perfect right now save for a sting at the back of the throat, either from smoking too fast or from just being really strong. The coffee has taken over with a wood aftertaste and a tinge of peat. Nothing really changed and no new flavors as I can tell. As I begin to smoke to the last minute the cigar takes on leather instead of peat. The leather is strong and it rolls around on your tongue. Again, I have never tasted leather (same as the peat) but the nice thing is I’ve never looked for it, and I’ve just discovered it. Many a time have I tried so hard to taste a flavor described by others and I think I almost trick myself into thinking I’ve tasted something. Not in this cigar, these flavors are discoveries made unto myself and this great cigar. The finish was just as smooth as the start and I got this one down to about 2 inches left. The cigar is truly a treat and not usual fair to my full-bodied humidor

i. Overall – I am glad that I bought a 10 pack of these and I am reassured that I can enjoy the other 9 for the next couple years (if they last that long!) and I still am working on the other 140 cigars in my Fridge-a-dor but this guy will be at the top of memory every time I reach inside (90)
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Camacho Maduro (Top 25)
    Spicy smoke! Very flavorful and this one also had a three and a half week resting. Burned a little too hot and didn’t finish it all the way through, but nice relaxing smoke on the porch with the girlfriend! (82)

Rocky Patel – Vengeance (local from Chicago distributor)
    Awesome! Chocolate draw before lit and mostly REALLY spicy! This had about three weeks resting and although very tasty not very good in the burn portion. Many relights, but when it was light this guy took off with spice and chocolate and was a good smooth draw, with some points not outputting enough smoke, but with some age would do VERY well! (89) This one was in the Sampler pack and the great thing is that it is a LOCAL cigar!!! Made for a chicago distributor by Rocky Patel ONLY for that distributor! So kinda made this cigar a little more enjoyable knowing that it was a local guy, but it also was darn tasty!
    I wonder how many "special distributor only" blends Rocky has, it seems every cigar shop out there gets thier own special blend from RP.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Lasabar:
    Camacho Maduro (Top 25)
    Spicy smoke! Very flavorful and this one also had a three and a half week resting. Burned a little too hot and didn’t finish it all the way through, but nice relaxing smoke on the porch with the girlfriend! (82)

Rocky Patel – Vengeance (local from Chicago distributor)
    Awesome! Chocolate draw before lit and mostly REALLY spicy! This had about three weeks resting and although very tasty not very good in the burn portion. Many relights, but when it was light this guy took off with spice and chocolate and was a good smooth draw, with some points not outputting enough smoke, but with some age would do VERY well! (89) This one was in the Sampler pack and the great thing is that it is a LOCAL cigar!!! Made for a chicago distributor by Rocky Patel ONLY for that distributor! So kinda made this cigar a little more enjoyable knowing that it was a local guy, but it also was darn tasty!
    I wonder how many "special distributor only" blends Rocky has, it seems every cigar shop out there gets thier own special blend from RP.

He left a bunch of "Maduro of Costa Rica" at my b&m after an event here, cant find em anywhere else, pretty good.
  • Options
    07/11/09 – Gurkha Park Avenue Churchill (1 year and 5 days resting)

Pairing – This one is a nice Churchill so I’m pairing it with some Chivas Regal 12 year and it is straight out of the bottle, no ice no water.
    Pre-light – I would say a hint of barnyard or maybe a oaky smell to it seems very fragrant and silky, kinda smells like one person has called “like a meal” and it is rich. There seem to be a couple soft spots under the band and that is not a good feeling, but the wrapper is a perfect Connecticut and no major veins. Lick on the cap is salty and somewhat flavorless. A hint of the oaky woody is in it but not much.
    Lighting – using single torch flame
    First light impressions – There is a patch that is really tough to toast on one side of the cigar and that is showing a rolling problem that may elude to the soft spots further up the cigar. After getting a nice rounded orange foot the initial draw is easy (little tight on the draw) and has a short finish with little spice and flavors of the woody and oak are coming out. Through the nose a coffee aroma is present and more spice is picking up on the first few puffs. I’ve had one of these guys at about a month old (I believe) and this one with a year should be good!
    First Third – The smoke is… what I might say creamy? I’ve never called a cigar creamy before but I do believe, to me, that this is creamy. It’s a heavy and velvety smoke with a little punch on the end. The cigar is burning slowly and still having a nice burn (surprisingly). It looks, so far, that the rolling thick point is not effecting it and the cigar is perfectly humidified! The smoke after a bit of scotch is now taking on a nutty flavor. Not perfectly nutty but almost like if you were to burn peanuts. It’s not bad but the nutty flavor and the spice are combating for my tongue and that is making the subtle nuts a little harsh. As is goes on though they are melding into a rich and smooth coffee flavor. I tend to get “Coffee Grounds” in my tastings but with the creamy smoke I’m getting actually rich roast coffee (read: not as harsh) It is honestly like walking into a starbucks after a long night of drinking when your senses are over-sensitive and having the dark roast in the air hit your nostrils. WOW! It is hanging on to the coffee and the spice (although the spice is subdoing and becoming less impactful on the finish. Finishing up the first third it seems this cigar is changing. The spice is very subdued and it really is just a milder smoke now, not a pack-a-punch of flavor, but just mellow. The coffee is still present but again not much of a presence as before…. Before the second third I’m going to try on some more scotch!
    Second Third – After a little scotch I’m becoming more aware of my pairings, while the scotch is a sweet aged scotch it is powerful and it may overtaking the creamy smoke of the Gurkha… but the start of the second third is a high-hoped one. While this guy is just hanging in there and not really changing I’ll talk about the cigar itself. The ash is hanging on for about 1-1.5 inches and is burning perfectly and no problems at all. The cigars draw is perfect and just a little toughness that I like. The smoke is very plentiful and not overbearing (read: It doesn’t pour out like a Sancho Panza) and this is a long and thin cigar and I can tell time and effort were put into making it. Now this is changing subtly it’s going more harsh and becoming the old standby of mine “Coffee Grounds” I tend to (or have HAD to) like this flavor and that’s what is the dominant flavor now. The coffe ground have gained a bit of the creaminess and now I got a hint of Chocolate… Not something that I could fully reproduce, but a sudden flash of chocolate entered my senses. MY BAD! I had gotten so absorbed in the online threads and cigar buying that I kinda let this guy go out a little, it tunneled due to lack of puffing. A quick relight and I’m back in business, sorry little guy!
    Last Third – After the relighting of just the edge of the cigar to get the wrapper going again this cigar is once again mellow. The oaky taste is somewhat back and the coffee grounds are the dominant here but the spice has lifter a little, I was hoping it’d be back after I had to put flame to it again, but it’s not that powerful. Smoking into the twilights of this cigar is where it shines. Now a rich and roasted coffee and the nutty is back and there is a cedar finish with the spice coming back up to punch your tongue. The draw begins with the coffee hitting your palate and then a cedar buzz takes on your cheeks and throat and then the spice finishes it off. Very good and if you can picture a freshly brewed pot of coffee’s grounds in a Churchill box then you can try to understand the flavor. The scotch is almost gone and so is the cigar, but the flavor is still gaining complexity and nuances, and I’m not ready for all these flavors to describe but this guy is really enjoyable little smoke right now!
    Overall – This cigar was a treat at a year and I did get down to about 2 inches left and the tastes were great and the spice and coffee and chocolate and everything was good. This guy is a cheaper cigar for Gurkha but I’m not complaining. Not a super premium by any means yet I would like to have these guys around for some everyday kind of smoke! (86)
  • Options
    07/28/09 – Gurkha Legend Churchill – Resting since 05-29-08

Prelight –
    This things amazing, no major veins, sweet chocolate smell and the prelight draw is very loose and nice with a rich chocolate taste as well, this is the first time that I’ve had a cigar that actually tasted in the prelight draw, many times I have to lick my lips to get a taste. The lick on the cap is sweet and tasty. There seems to be no soft spots or issues, except for the fact that this one is one of three that got eaten a little by beetles, the only hole is directly in the foot of the cigar so shouldn’t be a problem.

Cut with a Double-Guillotine and lit with my new Firebird single flame. The day is a slight breeze and a sunny 78*F… It did sprinkle yesterday so hope humidity won’t be a factor

First light –
    This guy lit fairly quickly and is peppery right off the bat as many cigars are, but the flavor is rich and smooth, can’t quite describe yet, but nice. The finish is earthy with a hint of leather and maybe some kind of spice (I want to say Cumen, but I’ll be damned if I could pick out Cumen by itself let alone in a cigar, I’m just drawn towards saying it) The cigar is drawing perfect and the smoke is abundant. I’m a little nervous for I keep waiting to hear a *POP* and know that I’m smoking a dead beetle, but so far so good!

First Third –
    The aftertaste has mellowed to leathery finish. It consumes the whole mouth and I can tell this cigar is a powerhouse, some cigars don’t have a strong finish but a lingering aftertaste, some have a HUGE impact on your mouth well after the cigar is gone, and so does this one. It’s starting to pick up some spice too, getting a little more powerful. The flavor is a dark chocolate and leather, the wind has picked up some so hopefully that won’t affect this fantastic cigar. The burn is perfect and the ash is a little flaky but bright white and hanging on for over and inch so far. I’ve never actually smelled the smoke of a cigar that I was smoking (like the smoke of someone else’s cigar smells different when you are smoking it) but I am getting allot of smoke that smells like the prelight, the chocolate is wafting around me. The leather and spice are what are the most prevalent and because this is s Churchill, the first third is taking some time!

Second third –
    The taste is a little more mellow, and the spice isn’t as up there, yet the leather is there and an earthyness has come out. Ash is holding on for Two inches each time. This guy picks up spice after every ash and it’s a great cigar. The earthy taste has a vegetal taste (I think)…… Well the whole Vegetal thing is out of the picture as a rich coffee and a burned chocolate has set in midway through. Very tasty. Still burning perfectly (even with a few bursts of wind) The flavor is quite amazing. The burn is slow and smooth and the cigar is just always changing, I really like it

Last Third –
    The last ash just fell on my leg after only an inch, no damage, but surprised me for the other ashes held on tight. When it ashed there was a half inch of canoeing going on, as soon as I was done typing that it had ashed early it had already corrected itself in the burn, I think this cigar is smarter than I am! The ash is now pretty flaky, I’m looking or little Beetle holes or something to make sense of the flake, but no real signs of holes as such, and the wrapper in 9.9/10th of the cigar was perfect so I don’t know… the taste is still fantastic, a roasted coffee aftertaste and some good spice. A little burn issue at about three inches left, but a quick touch up and this guy is back on track. The end was great yet I may have spoke too soon for the last two inches I looked at the ash and noticed some prominent holes (2). If all cigars taste like this when they get beetles I’m going to start to throw my cigars on the kitchen table and let the bugs begin!

Overall –
    This cigar was a great one, it was the second one I’ve smoked from my COTMC first initial order and it was delicious. This is my third Gurkha and was as good as the others if not better. The prelight, to the smoking to the burn to the finish this cigar was a good one. If the price wasn’t so high I may find myself smoking these more regularly (91)
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    ... I’m a little nervous for I keep waiting to hear a *POP* and know that I’m smoking a dead beetle, but so far so good...
    Not to mention all the dead beetle poop that don't pop...
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    Lasabar:
    ... I’m a little nervous for I keep waiting to hear a *POP* and know that I’m smoking a dead beetle, but so far so good...
    Not to mention all the dead beetle poop that don't pop...
    They don't pop... they just ~~SimMeR~~
  • Options
    fitch18fitch18 Posts: 4
    Hey there are some great free tools for making your own site.

http://someofthefinerthings.blogspot.com/

that is my free blog on scotch cigars and business

it is worth checking out
  • Options
    GUESS WHO'S BACK!!!!........... (It's me.... Lassy..... LASSY? From the Forums?)

Smoked 9/18/10

In Humidor for 14 months (1st one from a box of 20)
    Size: Robusto

Pre Light: Rich Chocolate and lick on the cap is somewhat sweet. The wrapper is dark and the cigar feels weighty in the hand. Very Impressive cigar. Lit with a single flame torch and cut with Palio cutter.

First few draws: Very rich and earthy, lots of leather chocolate. The draw is a bit tight though... Do have to pull. Tastes allright, but somewhat tastes like it's too harsh, not that it's actually harsh, but more than this cigar should be right now. Second draw does have some pepper on the tongue. I may have just underestimated this cigar and might be in for a ride!

First Third: This cigar is a finnicky one. With a cool ash and a couple draws it is very smooth. Velvety almost, and just rich, like smoking dark chocolate. But if the ash has a little heat it doesn't get harsh, but very peppery... Like DR. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde! That spice did subside and take a backseat and a warm toasty taste came up. This cigar can really be described as Decadent so far. Not a typical cigar flavors that I've had in the past. The spice has settled into a Earth or "Dirt" affect. It tasted better than it sounds, but the best way to describe it would be think of "Grassy" and add some age to it, a more mature grassy/earthy. The aftertaste lingers for some time. Coming back to my early "Grassy" I'd almost say vegetal?
    BURN: It is burning very even and slow, but the line isn't clean, it's very wavy... but it's burning wavy all at the same pace. Ash is holding at just under an inch... Maybe at right an inch, I don't know for sure, I'm outside and it's dark.

Second Third: The spice is muted. The coffee has really come in to play. Like rich coffee grounds. I haven't had a cigar like this in some time! I used to get coffee allot in my reviews, and lately it has been non-existent. The burn has leveled out, still perfect but more of a straight line now. Very smooth still and building up again. The spice is creeping ever so slowly back in. Still has a merge of coffee, pepper, leather and what I would call Vegetal. Very enjoyable smoke so far.
    BURN: Still very good burn and the small peaks and valleys have settled to a straight line. Ash is still less than an inch.

Last Third: This is where the coffee comes in HUGE. The heat in the final stages is very present, but it's nice for I'm used to heat=bitter. All the heat is meaning that the cigar changes to a nice espresso with the pepper on the tongue and through the nose. I still have about 3 inches left and the cigar is "Soggy" as in it's very squishy all the way to the head and the coffee has abruptly changed to the bitter taste from "heat" I purged it and am letting it sit for a bit and will come back to it. If that's the case though then maybe this cigar will benefit from dry-boxing for a day or two. I would have thought that this would be a "Nubbed" cigar, but we'll see now. Welp, after a purging and letting it sit and then trying to light up more wrapper to draw some flavor out I had to set it down early. Just too bitter at the end. A little too moist. The humi has been about 68-70% for the most part and that may have to do with it. I usually keep cigars at 65% but the move and new place I overfilled just to make sure they didn't dry out.

Overall Impression: Overall I had high hopes for this cigar for it's age, and the two churchills I've had is what made me buy them. I'm not worried about it, but will try to Dry-Box them next time. I believe the wrapper and oils make this one that will benefit from some breathing time. I still enjoyed it and am not disappointed, just would have liked to enjoy it longer.

Score: I'd say the change of pace from the cigars I've been smoking has made this a good cigar. The presentation and first half would make it score well, the fact that itwent south too quickly that I woul place this at an 78. It would be higher if the finish would have been more of FINALE than a FADE
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I know exactly what you mean a cigar gets soft at the end. I find that this happens 50% of the time with my smokes. Does that mean it needs less humidty? I hate it when cigar gets like that. Could that also mean smoking too fast, i.e. too much heat?
  • Options
    ironhorse:
    I know exactly what you mean a cigar gets soft at the end. I find that this happens 50% of the time with my smokes. Does that mean it needs less humidty? I hate it when cigar gets like that. Could that also mean smoking too fast, i.e. too much heat?
    Combination... Heat in general softens the cigar, so yes that makes it squishy... But if it gets bitter or "too squishy" than it could be humidity and heat especially if it gets bitter. I've had lots of cigars that got squishy and tasted phenomenal... But this one I put down early due to bitterness... Could be too fast, but the wrapper was dark, rich and oily so it retains more moisture than other wrappers
  • Options
    Montecristo No. 2 from Laker

Been in my Humi since 10-29

Cut with Palio cutter and is rich in creamy aroma. Pre light draw is smooth and hints of cocoa.

Lit with Single Flame Bugatti

First few puffs:
    Since it was lit in a wind with a torch it has some robust tobacco and earth flavors. The cocoa is still there, but I'll let it cool a bit and let it truly unleash! The cigar starts out of the gates making my mouth water a little. But I do have my Bubba Keg of water right next to me if need be!

First Third:
    Now being that this is my first No. 2 by Monte I've never known what to expect. But now that I have my lips wrapped around it I know that it's the BIG BROTHER of the Monte no. 4. I can get the same essence but a more matured flavor. And more fuller bodied than it's little cousin. I'm getting alot of cedar and leather from the cigar. The after taste doesn't linger very long and then the classice cuban characteristic is there in full as well. I do believe the cocoa has changed to the cedar. The leather is picking up. A "fresh" full aftertaste is the best way I could describe the leather. The year or so in the humidor has done this well, and no telling HOW long Laker had it, so that makes it even better! After a sip of water (not because I needed it, but just because I was thirsty) it washed away a bit of the beginning full bodied ness and then changed my mouth to an almost roasted nut flavor with the leather.
    BURN: The burn is great, a slight angle on it but razor straight lines.

Second Third:
    Now coffee has crept into this cigar. Not like the Media Noche that was a bitterness of coffee grounds, but a light coffee. This cigar is, right now, proving to be a medium bodied, lovely cigar. It ever so slightly changes flavors with each puff and is very well made. I'm just taking my time smoking it and enjoing at the build quality. The aftertaste is sticking around now and filling my whole mouth with flavor. The strength is building right now, the coffee is getting more dark. Picking up some earthy tones/grassy notes. After a few puffs the cigar is starting to kick into high gear. The smoke is becoming more abundant and even though I'm letting it sit longer between puffs, it is getting stronger on the flavors.
    BURN:
    The ash is holding on for almost an inch and then being tapped off. WIth the wind out tonight I don't want to take any chances.

Last Third:
    Had a quick corrective light before starting the last of this cigar. So far I'm not disappointed at all. Strong flavors of coffee and cedar are dominant now, not overbearing but each roll around the tongue has to be paid attention to, otherwise if I'm distracted it just seems powerful. Finally has some pepperin it, It's been strong but not spicy. I do suppose it's just the heat and the cigars flavor are so pronounced but not over done that the harshness has now just made a little spice to it. The last bit is just great with a rich dark cedar and roasted coffee. The burn has taken a turn for the worse, but no corrective lighting is necessary for it is fixing itself.

Overall:
    Being that this was my first No. 2 I did not know what to expect. I've loved many a No. 4 and this was a bit more mature that the corona. It has a great build up to a finish that was suprising and tasty. All in all the cigar just seemed to start out mild and built up stronger and stronger. Very good and complex smoke. The contruction was great and it felt like the draw was a bit tought but it always delivered billows of smoke. From the prelight aroma to the burn to the build up I'd say this cigar is a great vitola for this blend. I nubbed this guy and loved every minute,

Rating: 95
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nice review Lassy. Described the flavors and nuances of this stick very well.

That particular stick had about 8 months on it when I sent it to you. These are hard to hang on to for proper aging (3 - 5 years) I have had one that made it to just over 2 1/2 years and it was awesome. trying to age another now with a little over a year on it.