Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Reviews from the Squirrel

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Wheelie, much better than the cx or mx 2. I enjoyed it more anyway. Rob, yeah, I have done a lot of gurkkha's, but hey, going to add some more... lol Coming up is an evil and and assassin.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    PM sent Squirrely...
  • Options
    replied.....
  • Options
    Gurkha Archive (conni wrapper, Nicaraguan filler, and Cameroon binder)
    This cigar is a box pressed cigar (Gurkha's 20th Anniversary) that comes in a huge box, 92 cigars in total. One thing that gurkha does at times is bring out cigar in huge boxes, which I really do not understand. Who wants 92 cigars? I mean I love certain cigars but 92 of them? yeah okay I could see maybe getting that many for a select few but gurkha is known for such numbers though pushing a hundred is a bit much. At around 700 bucks for this box and with the 9.75 a stick, a box sounds cheap but really????.....
    Pre-Light had a good aroma, sort of woody. After few puffs I got a lot of wood and spice, peppery almost. While holding the smoke in my mouth I picked up a lot of wood and subtle spice, but I picked up a lot of pepper through the nose. This cigar started out strong, then mellowed a bit near the end, though stayed with a pepper, wood, maybe ceder taste. There wasn't a lot of complexity to the smoke, not a lot of flavors I would jump up for. The price for what I paid for this cigar was WAY to much. Maybe at 2 bucks or something, if that but I wasn't impressed. If this is a cigar brought out for the 20th anniversary if I wouldn't have had many gurkha's under my belt I would probably say this manufacturer sucks.... lol. If you like woody cigars, strong cigars look somewhere else, believe me. Yeah I'm sure people could like this cigar but for the price there a LOT of others out there that are better. Anyway, this will be under the do not like list from Gurkha.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Ha! I saw "Gurkha Archive" and I thought you were renaming your review thread to a more accurate title. lol :)
  • Options
    Ha, yeah kind of gurkha streak....
  • Options
    Olivia V maduro was the hot item last year and with all of us wondering if it would come back, we finally got word and some places have got some shipments. First of all it's a bit shorter than last years, and has some changes in the blend.
    First of all I want to say I really enjoyed the 08 blend and have come to enjoy the regular line. The pre light smell of the cigar is a lot like the 08, at least from what I remember. The construction is great with no imperfections found. After cutting and toasting the first few puffs are creamy, smooth and a bit chocolaty. The draw is a bit tight, and after some adjusting it got looser which helped the burn fix itself. It's been a while since I had an 08 so I really can't tell the differences between the years but let me just say that if you missed out on the 08's or have a few, the 09's are just as good if not better (though like I said can't really tell if it is better). Puff after puff the flavors gave off some nut, chocolate, spice, pepper, wood, cream, and some other light flavors. The pepper took a front seat near the mid point but sat back quickly. The smoothness of this cigar is fantastic, never harsh or really hot. I was able to almost nub it without being burned, so those of you who like cooler cigars will be happy. The flavors stayed consistent all the way through, and so did the smoothness. I wouldn't call this cigar too complex, though that's just me. The strength of the cigar seemed to grow more past the mid point, but it wasn't knock your socks off strong, just a subtle build of it. I really enjoyed the flavors and was impressed at how smooth it stayed till the end. Bottom line, pick a few up.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Wow. Sounds awesome. I picked up two at my local shop yesterday, and I have 3 of the '08s left. Can't wait to smoke them. :)
  • Options
    Let me know which one you like better. Both are top notch in my book.
  • Options
    Ashton in my opinion has some of the best cigars, and here is their so-called flagship an hardest to find/get cigar (spendy too).
    image This would be my third ESG I've had and the last I have in stock. I have to say, I love the look of the cigar, very well done with a flawless wrapper and construction. The Label is one of the best if not my favorite from any line out there. These cigars are really expensive, like 17-30 dollars depending on where you find them. I think I got this guy for like 17.25 or something.... I decided to smoke this as I found these and the 21 and 22's in boxes and wanted to know if they were worth buying as a box, as I recalled them to be an "okay" cigar. I picked all three up last year around october or something so this one has been sitting for over a year or one could say a solid year at the bottom of my big humi.
    Pre-Light this stick had some ceder, and tobacco smells coming from it. After toasting and then puffing a few times I picked up some wood, ceder, spice, and some coffee like flavors. Nothing that was telling me, hey, this is worth the money. Moving onto the 1/2 way mark I picked up some changes, the pepper/woody tastes moved back a bit and more sweetness/coffee flavors moved in but the wrapper started to crack!
    This was certainly a first for me of any of the Ashton's I've had and even more so, I can't recall it ever happening to me especially when I've had a cigar in my humi for a long period of time. I mean sometimes something like this happens near the foot or something but never in the middle of a cigar. Moving on, the flavors stayed sweet with some spice/pepper to them. Wood and coffee stayed present. The wrapper continued to split and didn't get better so I let it burn out. Bottom line, I will not buy a box, I will not pay these prices for these cigars again, and I really would like to say don't waste YOUR money on these cigars. Yeah they look nice, have a great label, and the rarity of the cigar is always nice but for the price you can get many, many other cigars that have more complexity and offer more flavor. I'll stick to the VSG.
  • Options
    Hailed as the best liberty to date I finally decided to burn one of them. I really enjoyed the 2008 and it's certainly a cigar that is nothing less than eye candy AND it's one hell of a flavorful smoke. Let's get started....

Camacho Liberty 2005

This cigar has a very sweet cedar smell upon pre light. Already I am having flashbacks of the 08! After punching the cap and then toasting the foot, I pick up some odd flavor, almost dirt or something but then some hay follows. Immediately that leaves and I am hit with cedar/wood along with some subtle tobacco. The cigar seems to have a nice loose draw and lots of smoke. After the first third more of a sweetness comes out but not more powerful than the cedary taste. Throughout the cigar thus far it has some sweet undertones but not as much as the 08. Already I am getting a lot of the same flavors as with the 08 though it isn't as flavorful.
    Moving on to the half way mark, I am beginning to have some burn problems. The cigar that was once a loose draw is becoming tight and while I can push on the wrapper to move the filling around it never does quite stay loose. After a few puffs it gets tight again. The flavor stayed almost the same, though some harshness/burnout taste moves in on me as I am having some real problems keeping this thing going. After about another inch I let it go out. So I made it a bit past the 1/2 way mark and I have to say I don't know what all the love is about this cigar. It tastes a lot like the 08, though in my opinion isn't as good nor does it look as good (the double wrapper is always a nice sight). I didn't have any problems with the 08, and though this 05 is 1 cigar, I have to say I am just not impressed. I have another 2 of them so we'll see if I just got a bad cigar. But for a flagship of types I expect more. I've had 3 08's thus far and everyone has been good. Anyway if you have had any of the 05's please feel free to share your experience.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Hey Pheebs really enjoyed your re-views . They are easy to read and understand and now you have made me add to my want list . Dang you Squirrel !!! Oh and don't think I've forgotten that massive bombing you did to me a while back, a retalitory strike is being put together , its a little ways off yet and still in the planning stage but IT IS COMING ...tick ...tick ...tick ...
  • Options
    Haha, thanks buddy.
  • Options
    Let me start off by saying that I want to say a big thank you to Rob for hooking me up with most of my power rangers! After having a very nice and hearty pork chop dinner I decided to light up a fresh ****. Enjoy!

I've only had a few opus's but so far my favorite would be this little stick. This will be my 2nd one and this has been received off the shelf from a B&M so it hasn't had any time in my humi. I have to hand it to Fuente for these sticks, all the opus's I have and have seen are just flawless in their construction and they are just a beauty for the eyes. Upon my first pre light draw I picked up some hints of tobacco, spice, pepper, wood, anise, and some cedar. After toasting and my first few puffs I was blown away by the smoothness this stick presented. The strength wasn't as strong as I remember from my last ****, but the pepper and wood was still rather potent. Through the nose though, it was really pleasant and mellow. This stick also produces a lot of smoke so take note, you've been warned!! lol.

After the first third of the stick more complex flavors came through, ones that I really can't describe, but it has become very full bodied by now and just a very well rounded flavor bomb. I am picking up a bit more pepper through the nose as well as some coffee. The cigar is burning very well with an almost razor sharp burn.

After the 1/2 way mark, the ash is still holding strong and the flavor of the smoke is staying much the same but with more wood and coffee peaking out. I would also like to note that the tobacco and pepper have taken a small step back. Still a lot of smoke and lots of flavor.

Moving on to the last 1/3 my ash fell but I think it's because I didn't have much room for my fingers to hold it and I put it in my ash tray a bit funky. The stick is still really flavorful and now the spice/pepper is almost gone, and more of a woody/tobacco with cedar and cocoa/coffe are present. I smoked it till my fingers were starting to burn and I let it go out.

Well I have to say that this cigar is a very well made and very complex smoke. I couldn't really describe a lot of the changes taking place or the exact flavors but let me tell you, it is really a great treat. If you want a sweeter smoke then you're going to have to go elsewhere for it, and if you have ever smoked an opus then you wouldn't expect it. This cigar is a full bodied, complex little smoke. I will continue to stock up on these and recommend them. This cigar took a bit over an hour and a half.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    Well I have to say that this cigar is a very well made and very complex smoke. I couldn't really describe a lot of the changes taking place or the exact flavors but let me tell you, it is really a great treat. If you want a sweeter smoke then you're going to have to go elsewhere for it, and if you have ever smoked an opus then you wouldn't expect it. This cigar is a full bodied, complex little smoke. I will continue to stock up on these and recommend them. This cigar took a bit over an hour and a half.
    Maybe one of these days I can get a few. Maybe....
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I have not tried the 2008 and I love the 2005... I am sure it wasn't that good of a stick you had. It is harder to find good "older" sticks... Anyway... From your descriptions - it seems I will love the 2008 even more! Can't wait to try them...
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see you're enjoying those my furry friend. Nice review.
  • Options
    Had this guy today after some much loved reviews.... Wasn't so impressed. I like the #9 much more. Could be since I haven't had a cigar in about a week but I'm thinking I just wasn't into it. Not much flavor other than spice.
  • Options
    After a brutal 2 weeks of work and oncall, and after finally hiring a person for my business I decided to crack open a Monte #2 that was gifted to me from a very special BOTL, and a Padron 1926 80th maduro. First up is the Padron!

Photobucket

I haven't had a lot of love for Padron cigars in the natural wrapper and it wasn't until Laker sent me a maduro that I started to open up to them. Though I do feel they are over hyped and priced. Anyway, since the 80th series is praised as the best I had to try one. I picked up a maduro for 30 bucks and prepared for the deep richness that I hear everyone talk about.

Pre-light this cigar smells of coffee, and wood. The wrapper is well done and barely any veins. After toasting it I get cocoa, coffee, nut, and cedary wood. The draw is nice and loose, and lots, lots of smoke with every puff. The flavor is more pronounced through the nose.
    After moving past the first third and while sipping my double chocolate stout I am amazed at how smooth this cigar is, absolutely smooth. The flavors are very well balanced and seem to be blended very well. The profiles stay the same.
    Moving on to the 1/2 way mark I get more cocoa and nut flavors with some tobacco. Still lots of smoke and very smooth. The cigar has been burning a bit uneven, but with some touch-up lights it keeps on kicking. This cigar stayed smooth and very flavorful to the end (about 1/2 left). Overall I think it's a good cigar, though a 30 dollar price is WAY too Much. If it was maybe 15 I could maybe pick up more, but 215+ for a box of 8 is just not my cup of tea. I would say it would be better than any other Padron I've had but for the price I have many other cigars I would rather smoke and frankly taste better. Still it's worth trying once.

Montecristo #2 Torpedo

This cigar was Gifted to me by a very special BOTL and I have been wanting to try this for some time. Pre-light this cigar has hints of cedar and nuts and after toasting I get the same flavor with some tobacco and Marshmallow???... Well it's the first for me. Now moving past the first third the cigar keeps the same flavors, nut, marshmallow, tobacco, cedar, with some other flavors that I can't really put into words. The cigar does have a creamy flavor as well. Moving into the 1/2 way mark the cigar stays consistent and continues to bring a lot of smoke with it. I put the cigar down with about 1/2 inch left and while it was a very good cigar, I really wouldn't say it was anything out of the ordinary. Sure it was a special smoke since it's not available here in the US but in my opinion I enjoyed the Monte White a bit more. Thanks to the very generous BOTL who sent this to me!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I have really been wanting to try one of those Padron's. I guess I'll have to get a couple, I love the rest of the Padron Anny. lines and this oune sounds like it's right up my alley (minus the CRAZY! price tag)
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Pour that Double Chocolate Stout into a glass and it will open up the flavors that much more! Its one of my favorites and really benefits from being aerated.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Definately one of my favorite unsung beers!
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Pour that Double Chocolate Stout into a glass and it will open up the flavors that much more! Its one of my favorites and really benefits from being aerated.
    I did... I agree too!
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Do you think that drinking a double chocolate stout brings out flavors of chocolate and cream a bit more than something else?
  • Options
    Maybe... I find to enjoy maduros more with a stout.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Had this guy today after some much loved reviews.... Wasn't so impressed. I like the #9 much more. Could be since I haven't had a cigar in about a week but I'm thinking I just wasn't into it. Not much flavor other than spice.
    I'm with you 100% on this. I thought the #9 was much better and had a lot more flavor. The new T52 just wasn't the power house I expect from a Liga Privada. Wasn't a terrible smoke, but didn't live up to my expectations at all.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm with you 100% on this. I thought the #9 was much better and had a lot more flavor. The new T52 just wasn't the power house I expect from a Liga Privada. Wasn't a terrible smoke, but didn't live up to my expectations at all.
    Glad some of us exist...
  • Options
    The elusive Black Tube(o)...

First of all, I have enjoyed all the tat's I've tried though nothing that would make me buy a box. The tat black is supposedly what Pete smokes or should I say his personal blend. The cigar is nicely constructed and has a peaty smell almost barnyard (I guess...) smell. Nothing too fancy. The pre light draw is a bit of the same with some light tobacco and some spice though not pepper more like sweet spice. Upon lighting it up, I got no pepper or shock spice, but a mouthful of creamy, sweet spice along with some minor ginger (maybe that would be it), and some other flavors that is hard to describe. The ash was rather flaky, probably due to the foot as it were. The ash came off in thirds or about every inch and half, maybe I could have left it longer but not wanting it to fall on my lap I tapped it off. Moving into the 1/2 way mark, I still had the same creamy, sweet flavors that I started with and absolutely no harshness or in your face spice, in fact this thing is a mild to medium but full of flavor. The cigar stayed consistent through to the end. This cigar was wonderful, both in taste and in aroma. I do want to say that I had some burn issues with some parts of the sides going out. I don't know if it is due to just getting it, or other factors but Touch ups seemed to fix it right away. When the thing stayed lit on all sides it burned evenly. This stick went pretty fast, as I would say just over an hour, maybe an hour. I haven't had the red tube stick, and probably won't unless I find one or am traded.. The black is truly a unique Tat and a very smooth and sweet smoke. When I say sweet, I don't mean infused sicky sweet. I just locked in a box as I did enjoy this cigar very much. Plus they are hard to come by. I guess there is a churchill and a robusto but from what I understand the tubed cigar is the best.. not sure though as I haven't had the others.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    The elusive Black Tube(o)...
    Just a teaser, review will be posted in a bit....
    Are these the ones that Tim was talking about in his post yesterday? Have you had any Pheebs? Which are better the Red or the Black Tubo's? Would it be worth it for me to score some of these Pheebs?
    I just scored a Cabinet Box of Partagas Black Label and a box of Ramone Allones so I was going to take a pass on these, but if I were to get a big thumbs up from you, since you know my tastes... I may have to reconsider.
  • Options
    Laker, I wouldn't want to say yeah get a box but yet I do.. lol. I haven't had the red so I have no idea what that tastes like. From what I have heard they both are good. I would say at least try one or two if you can.