Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Reviews from the Squirrel

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    is that a different blend than the "regular" sopranos?

or is it just a limited vitola?
    I don't think the blend is any different.

REVIEW is DONE
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    any new reviews comin up pheebs??
  • Options
    None that I can think of.. I need more feedback to keep them up. So there's hope..
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    phobicsquirrel:
    None that I can think of.. I need more feedback to keep them up. So there's hope..
    I hope so. I personally loved your reviews!! Whenever I try a new cigar I always look at yours and kuzi's revews to see how my pallet stacks up.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    You gotta keep posting, even if it's not as often. I love reading your reviews and I feel we usually share similar tastes so it's refreshing to find some reviews that I can respect and take your word on it if it's a cigar I've been meaning to try.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I read your reviews even though I don't always post to them. Keep em coming. How's that for feedback?
  • Options
    Thanks guys
  • Options
    rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    I've read through this whole post. Don't stop reveiwing, i'm just to lazy to reply.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Kee the reviews coming! I think that the reviews are the most read posts & the least replied to. Look at the review threads and the views and you will see what I mean. 100x1 views v. posts.
  • Options
    well seems as though I need to keep it up.. Thing is I really haven't smoked anything new I can review. I tend to review things after at least 2 smoke sessions. I'll see what I can do, after all no need to review the hell out of a cigar that everyone else has.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I always look forward to your reviews! Definitely keep going!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    well seems as though I need to keep it up.. Thing is I really haven't smoked anything new I can review. I tend to review things after at least 2 smoke sessions. I'll see what I can do, after all no need to review the hell out of a cigar that everyone else has.
    Sure there is, want to see if were out of our minds when we taste something like cashew in our cigar.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    phobicsquirrel:
    Sounds like just the excuse you need to spend more $$$ on cigars you havent tried Pheebs! Besides, if you quit reviewing how will we ever get ratings from a tree rats perspective???

Seriously, your reviews are always insightful & helpful - please keep em coming! :-D
  • Options
    Tree rat huh? Well at least I'm cute!!! hehe.. Actually I just ordered 2 lfd solomone's so I'll probably do one on them. Though Kuzi already did one, I think it's worth putting up. I'm sure I'll have the same praise for it, but I dunno we've split ways a couple of times on smokes...
  • Options
    You called yourself cute - Man Card Please 2 weeks.
  • Options
    I wasn't able to take pics and this will be a somewhat quick review.

LFD Mysterio "natural"
    This cigar is really a piece of art. The wrapper, the look is downright fantastic. The smell of the cigar is of hay. This is my 2nd cigar of this vitola and the first time I smoked it I was a bit underwhelmed. These cigars come in boxes of 5 and are suppose to be a limited run. Ccom had one of the best prices on these but I missed the boat on them. I picked them up for 70 each, so I didn't get burned that much, though I did get free shipping. Okay onward!!!

I used my xikar 3 to cut the tip, but just a little as I didn't want it to unravel. The draw was very good, no effort at all. The taste was somewhat sweet with some wood. These flavors stayed consistent till about the 1/2 way point.
    After that the flavor got a bit stronger, more of a cedar taste came through but the back end of the flavor was almost like a nut and marshmellow. The sweetness died down a bit after a bit and then the wood and nut came to the forefront. The burn started to get a little wacky, I had to touch it up many times. Moving to about an inch left it started to burn rather hot, and thus it got a bit harsh. I tried to slow the draws but it wouldn't help. I let it burn out.
    This cigar was a bit better than the first time I had it but still wasn't worthy of a "special" type of cigar. Sure it looks nice but due to the price I wish I hadn't bought a box. Still we'll see if more time will help it, as it has got better thus far.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Aaaaaannnnnd he's back. Nice review.
  • Options
    So you played "cut the tip" with the cigar.....wait....ouch! That's not the game!

Nice review. I remember liking this cigar but not absolutely loving it. However, I think I paid over $15 in a local shop. All I really remember is this cigar really mopping the floor with me. I had it on an empty stomach and had to really slow down so I didn't pass out in the shop.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Nice review. As we talked about on the "what are you smoking tonight" thread, I smoked the Oscuro last night. It was pretty fantastic. It really brought out the darker, rich flavors I love. It reminded me, not surprisingly, of the LFD Cabinet Natural Oscuro. I would have to smoke them in closer succession, but if memory serves me correct, they have very similar flavor profiles. To me, this is essentially a reason to continue to purchase the Cabinet series and save my money! At about half the price, you can't go wrong with that one!

On a note for Rob - the Oscuro was never full bodied for me. I'd put it definitely in the "medium" for me for sure.
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    Nice review. As we talked about on the "what are you smoking tonight" thread, I smoked the Oscuro last night. It was pretty fantastic. It really brought out the darker, rich flavors I love. It reminded me, not surprisingly, of the LFD Cabinet Natural Oscuro. I would have to smoke them in closer succession, but if memory serves me correct, they have very similar flavor profiles. To me, this is essentially a reason to continue to purchase the Cabinet series and save my money! At about half the price, you can't go wrong with that one!

On a note for Rob - the Oscuro was never full bodied for me. I'd put it definitely in the "medium" for me for sure.
    I'm going to do the oscuro but I only smoked one a few months ago. I'll put it up probably next week when my vacation starts. I agree though, I feel they are both medium.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    So you played "cut the tip" with the cigar.....wait....ouch! That's not the game!

Nice review. I remember liking this cigar but not absolutely loving it. However, I think I paid over $15 in a local shop. All I really remember is this cigar really mopping the floor with me. I had it on an empty stomach and had to really slow down so I didn't pass out in the shop.
    lol, yeah you actually kicked me in the butt on these, I had to pick up both boxes. My shop had them for like 18.25 or something that's why I got the box, more cigar for the buck.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Good review Pheebs good review ...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this review made me drool.

• Options

LFD Mysterio Oscuro

Size - 7 x 54
    Burn Time - 1:50
    Box Count - 5

PRE- LIGHT:
    Today we have a Mysterio Oscuro from LFD. this stick is very oily and down right amazing to see. It's construction is perfect. In fact all 5 from this box are perfect, they are a true masterpiece. The smell of the cigar is like any other oscuro wrapper, very hay heavy. One thing I've noticed from the mysterio line is the draw. Out of the 4 (including 2 natural) I have had, right after the cut the draw is perfect. Given that the cigar(s) shape is so abnormal you would think the draw might be a problem, but; and I don't know this for a fact, but I would almost say that special attention has been given to these cigars for quality control. Notice the natural wrapper at the tip!

imageimage

Light - 1/3: After toasting the cherry, I pick up plumes of smoke and the flavor has wood, hay, earth, hint of coffeeness/beans. The draw is fantastic! The burn is rather quick till the oscuro his hit by the fire. It stars to slow down at this point and now a bit more hay come through, probably due to the ocsuro wrapper. The flavors stay about the same as from before.

Midway Mark:
    After puffing away this cigar, like I mentioned earlier slows down. The flavors don't seem to change much as first reported but I do start to sense some more heaviness to it. I wouldn't call it strength, but maybe some build up to a stronger cigar. The smoke is still very plentiful and the gray ash is a bit flaky. The draw is perfect even to the half way point of the cigar. More of a coffee bean eeks through the hay and earth and it can be stronger through the nose.

Last Third:
    Moving past the half way mark the cigar starts to build up some body, though not really to a full. More of a medium at least to me. The flavor really stays the same but more strength on the hay and earth. Some coffee notes can be tasted but mostly through the nose but it is very faint. The tobacco is also present as there seems to be more of a build up of that too. By now I was picking up some nuttiness from the Natural but it has not come through as of yet on the Oscuro. The draw still remains to be be very good, making it effortless to put out copious amounts of smoke. The ash is flaky and sort of annoying as it is getting over my shirt and the desk but the ash is staying strong on the cigar. The burn isn't too bad but I have had to touch it up a few times.

Finish:
    Moving into the final stretch the cigar is staying cool. I don't feel the heat which I really love, as I hate it when you start to feel the burn. Also you have less of an issue with the bitterness. The flavors really haven't changed all to much except maybe for the earthiness getting stronger. Hay is still present with some coffee ground. I decided to pair this cigar with some Hazelnut coffee but even that failed to bring out any nut from the cigar, which is sad as I was hoping to get something along those lines. Now this might be me, but I swear I get some marshmallow on the back of my mouth. I mean I like it but it sort of came out of no-where... The draw is still fantastic! The cigar was getting a bit hard to hold so I let it burn out with a little bit left to go, but I have to add that the heat was minimal and a very nice addition to a nice cigar.

Closing:
    After finishing the cigar I felt that it was a good and solid cigar. Sure not too complex, but satisfying. I'm not huge on the fact that these cigars only come in boxes of 5 and have the "special" cigar label on them. My local shop sells them for about 18 bucks and I assure you they aren't really worth it. Yeah they look cool and the construction is perfect but I am more about flavor and this really doesn't change. It stays consistent which isn't a bad thing but for 18 bucks I expect more. Though I got these by the box and paid less for them but overall I would say you could miss these and not worry about it. The finish is a bit long but light. I would put these on the more mild spectrum but that's me, I tend to think "strong/full" cigars aren't that strong. If your looking for something to wow you, these cigars probably won't but if you're looking for something to show off to guests bring one of these big boys out and I'm sure people will comment.

....Before anyone asks or if anyone wonders, which one is better the natural or the oscuro; I can only say that they are both equally pleasant. Both wrappers bring something new to the blend and while I am not super attuned to all the flavors the wrappers do change the cigars enough for me to say that they really are there own cigar.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:

LFD Mysterio Oscuro

Size - 7 x 54
    Burn Time - 1:50
    Box Count - 5

PRE- LIGHT:
    Today we have a Mysterio Oscuro from LFD. this stick is very oily and down right amazing to see. It's construction is perfect. In fact all 5 from this box are perfect, they are a true masterpiece. The smell of the cigar is like any other oscuro wrapper, very hay heavy. One thing I've noticed from the mysterio line is the draw. Out of the 4 (including 2 natural) I have had, right after the cut the draw is perfect. Given that the cigar(s) shape is so abnormal you would think the draw might be a problem, but; and I don't know this for a fact, but I would almost say that special attention has been given to these cigars for quality control. Notice the natural wrapper at the tip!

imageimage

Light - 1/3: After toasting the cherry, I pick up plumes of smoke and the flavor has wood, hay, earth, hint of coffeeness/beans. The draw is fantastic! The burn is rather quick till the oscuro his hit by the fire. It stars to slow down at this point and now a bit more hay come through, probably due to the ocsuro wrapper. The flavors stay about the same as from before.

Midway Mark:
    After puffing away this cigar, like I mentioned earlier slows down. The flavors don't seem to change much as first reported but I do start to sense some more heaviness to it. I wouldn't call it strength, but maybe some build up to a stronger cigar. The smoke is still very plentiful and the gray ash is a bit flaky. The draw is perfect even to the half way point of the cigar. More of a coffee bean eeks through the hay and earth and it can be stronger through the nose.

Last Third:
    Moving past the half way mark the cigar starts to build up some body, though not really to a full. More of a medium at least to me. The flavor really stays the same but more strength on the hay and earth. Some coffee notes can be tasted but mostly through the nose but it is very faint. The tobacco is also present as there seems to be more of a build up of that too. By now I was picking up some nuttiness from the Natural but it has not come through as of yet on the Oscuro. The draw still remains to be be very good, making it effortless to put out copious amounts of smoke. The ash is flaky and sort of annoying as it is getting over my shirt and the desk but the ash is staying strong on the cigar. The burn isn't too bad but I have had to touch it up a few times.

Finish:
    Moving into the final stretch the cigar is staying cool. I don't feel the heat which I really love, as I hate it when you start to feel the burn. Also you have less of an issue with the bitterness. The flavors really haven't changed all to much except maybe for the earthiness getting stronger. Hay is still present with some coffee ground. I decided to pair this cigar with some Hazelnut coffee but even that failed to bring out any nut from the cigar, which is sad as I was hoping to get something along those lines. Now this might be me, but I swear I get some marshmallow on the back of my mouth. I mean I like it but it sort of came out of no-where... The draw is still fantastic! The cigar was getting a bit hard to hold so I let it burn out with a little bit left to go, but I have to add that the heat was minimal and a very nice addition to a nice cigar.

Closing:
    After finishing the cigar I felt that it was a good and solid cigar. Sure not too complex, but satisfying. I'm not huge on the fact that these cigars only come in boxes of 5 and have the "special" cigar label on them. My local shop sells them for about 18 bucks and I assure you they aren't really worth it. Yeah they look cool and the construction is perfect but I am more about flavor and this really doesn't change. It stays consistent which isn't a bad thing but for 18 bucks I expect more. Though I got these by the box and paid less for them but overall I would say you could miss these and not worry about it. The finish is a bit long but light. I would put these on the more mild spectrum but that's me, I tend to think "strong/full" cigars aren't that strong. If your looking for something to wow you, these cigars probably won't but if you're looking for something to show off to guests bring one of these big boys out and I'm sure people will comment.

....Before anyone asks or if anyone wonders, which one is better the natural or the oscuro; I can only say that they are both equally pleasant. Both wrappers bring something new to the blend and while I am not super attuned to all the flavors the wrappers do change the cigars enough for me to say that they really are there own cigar.
    Nice reviews Pheebs. Sweet looking stick too.
  • Options
    Nice Review. I did have the Oscuro and I enjoyed that stick. I paid 18 for a single at a local B&M and kind of wished I'd just picked up a box and gotten them cheaper, but it was worth it to have tried one. I agree that it was a good stick, just not really a WOW stick, especially considering the price point.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    again, i suspect that they will age well.

i have a hard time aging LFD because they are so good right out of the box.

good review. though you say it isnt worth the price i may have to pick up a few anyway. i gotta try them. i cant wait for either one. you mentioned marshmallow in both reviews. this sounds very interesting to me.
  • Options

La Flor Dominicana Salomones LE 2008

imageimageimage
    The wrapper is a Habano leaf from an undisclosed origin and the filler and binder are from Littos farm in La Canela from the 2004 and 2005 years.
    Size: 7" x 64

I have to start by saying this is probably the largest (lenght + width) cigar I have ever smoked. Being a person who has enjoyed most everything from LFD I, at first saw this cigar at my shop and thought, eh I'll pass. Thinking it would be just the same as the Domincana's that I already have. Well after some time and more time thinking on the matter I decided to go a head and pick one up. Well I was too late and they were sold out. Long story short I finally got my hands on two of them and this will be the 2nd.

PRE LIGHT:
    The smell of the wrapper is very nice, an almost sweet toabacco and the wrapper is gorgeous. Very well wrapped. The cap is very strong and at first I cut just a little off of it but since the draw seems a bit tight I cut a bit more off. Still the wrapper stays intact and I am very pleased (I always shutter to think I cut too much off). Still the draw seems a bit tight but the tip is very narrow so I am sure it will open up. The taste is of some sweet tobacco (just like the wrapper smell), and some wood.

TOAST - 1st 1/3:
    After using my massive tri perdomo lighter to light the small nippled tip, I puff away. The draw is very tight and I have to really suck in. The smoke is sweet and very pleasing to the nose. Light tobacco and wood fill my mouth and the air. Through the nose I am overwhelmed with the sweetness and wood. Wow is the only word I have. After a few minutes the draw opens up and I am enamored with plumes of smoke and flavors that are very pleasant. I can't pick up on everything I taste but the most prominent would be, tobacco, wood, sweetness, cocoa, maybe some hit of nuts.
    imageimage

1/2 Way:
    Moving into the 1/2 way point I am enjoying this cigar immensely. Sure it's been like an hour or so but hell of a great hour. The cigars width is huge but it burns rather slow. The ash stays tightly packed and is still holding on. I am very careful not to move it too quickly as I don't want it in my lap. The draw is very nice, almost loose and the flavor has not changed. Sure some subtle changes have happened but nothing new to report. The burn has stayed pretty good thus far, with only having to touch up a side once or twice. Short of making it half way the ash falls off but surprisingly the burn stays razor sharp there after.
    imageimage

To the End:
    Well when I said the burn stayed razor sharp, it did but not for long. Though it wasn't bad one area seemed to keep a steady pace behind. I had to touch it up several times. Though it wasn't super annoying it still wasn't making me happy. I remember my first stick burned a bit better but eh, what you gonna do? (yeah yeah it's the bad boys song... ) I have picked up some spice notes and I can taste more strength. Once again I am picking up some what of a marshmallow flavor and I don't know if it's just me or not. I get the same sweetness (though not as much) as when I first started smoking along with wood, a deeper tobacco taste, a bit of nutty goodness, and some cocoa but very light. I also almost pick up some floral notes through the nose. Moving to the end of the cigar I am amazed at how well it is staying cool, and because of this I really nub it.
    imageimage

Closing:
    Well this would be my 2nd of this vitola. I have to say it is a real pleasure to have had these. This cigar though not complex, or strong, or even full bodied is still an amazing cigar. It's about 20 bones but for that you get almost 3 hours of enjoyment, fantastic flavors, great draw, lots of smoke, and the pleasure of saying you smoked this huge puppy. I am hopefully not going to let this be my last as I have found a box (or two), and am just waiting to pull the trigger. If you haven't had one of these yet I can't say you will be missing the best thing since ... (well whatever you hold to be the best thing) but it is a cigar that is worth taking a look at.

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nice review. What you described is pretty much my favorite flavor profile. I wish I had three hours for a cigar. One of these days I should just take a day off from work and smoke the cigars I normally wouldn't have time for.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Nice review. What you described is pretty much my favorite flavor profile. I wish I had three hours for a cigar. One of these days I should just take a day off from work and smoke the cigars I normally wouldn't have time for.
    Yeah I don't usually like smoking that long unless I'm doing poker or risk but I figured I needed to do a good review of it so I did. I can't think of a cigar that lasted this long, even the beast didn't.. lol