Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Reviews from the Squirrel

12346»

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Camacho Liberty Series 2012 makes use of four blends from the authentic Corojo crop from 2008, a Honduran binder, Dominican and Honduran long-fillers, and a Honduran Habano wrapper.

Gifted by RCY Cigars (very generous and a big thank you)

Well It's been a while since I reviewed anything but it's like riding a bike right... ?
    As usual these suckers come in a cedar box and they look mighty fancy. Once opening the box you get a nice wrapped up cigar that smells wonderful. The cedar just clings to the aroma of the wrapper! Now those that have followed my reviews or my posts will probably know that I haven't had a lot of positive things to say about the Liberty series. Sure I really do like the '08 but really that's about it. The '06 isn't bad either but in my opinion the rest just aren't that spiffy, especially when there is so MUCH more out there to get for the asking prices of these guys.

Well onto what your here about!

Pre Light:

Other than the pretty wrapper and bands you get a sweet cedar with hints of Honduran Tobacco. For the cut I used my 007 punch. I let this cigar sit a while in my ash tray, sort of just letting it chill. Some warm up puffs were performed and really I just got cedar and tobacco. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

Sparking & 1/3:

So I got a nice even light on this guy with my table top tri lighter and after several puffs she started up. Now I just had a 2011 a few days ago and compared to that one this years produces a lot more smoke. I must have took 3 or 4 draws (mind you I do about 2-3 puffs) before I started to go for flavor, sort of wanted the cherry to burn nice and even and get it going. The flavor from this cigar is no surprise, it's cedar! Oh yeah lots of it. The retro-hale is really where it is right now, subtle spice, some tobacco as well. Not a strong cigar at all. Largely this profile doesn't change and I'm okay with that. It's got a nice blend going on right now.

1/2 way:

Moving into the half way point this cigar really hasn't changed much. Still has a good amount of cedar along with tobacco however the cedar is a bit more of a passenger than the driver. If you use your nose you will get a bit more cedar with a slight sweetness along with some spice/pepper. However it's not like a Ruination or anything strong. The burn is staying nice and mostly even and no touch ups. The cigar so far is performing rather nicely.

3/4 to End:

Well this is where things begin to change. After the 1/2 way mark the cedar almost goes away completely and the tobacco and pepper come out on top. Again the pepper isn't strong but it's there. The burn gets a bit uneven and I do have to do a few touch ups. This cigar does hold its ash rather well, I only tap it off because I don't want it falling into my lap. About an inch and a half maybe a third it starts to get a bit harsh and though I try to hold out I did have to give up. I'm not a fan of the harshness.

Conclusion:

Again I want to thank RCY for gifting me this. And I should note that this cigar came in 3 days before I did this review so it's rather fresh. Since smoking this I have read some other reviews and some people said they got some floral or citrus and I just did not get that. This cigar wasn't complex, it was rather boring to be honest. It wasn't a bad cigar it just didn't wow me. It looks fantastic and opening these Liberty cigars up is truly a great hit on the senses, that is if you love cedar. How does this stack up with the others in the line? Well in my opinion the 08 is king, then the 06, 09 and from there I would lump them all around the same. Maybe this lines needs a remodel or something but I'll be on the look out next year for these as it's sort of becoming a tradition for me. Thanks for reading and below will be some pictures and please leave a comment - good or bad.

btw photos are taken with my samsung galaxy s3 and nothing special was done, via lighting or what not. Sorry for them being so big, I am lazy and forgot to resize them and I am lazy and do not want to go back and do it.
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Well was going to wait and smoke mine, in the deep freeze now anyway, hopefully I get more out of it than you did with more rest. Thanks for the perspective.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 2011 liberty last night. I tasted everything you tasted at those various points too. Except w/ mine I had a nice sweet almond like character going. Overall it was good. the effortless draw was great but it felt a bit weird for me
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Nice, I appreciate the review. Sounds like a okay smoke, but not worth the penny it costs. Unfortunately, I'm a Camacho fan and I have to see for myself :). At least it won't be bad. I have not read any other reviews on it. But hearing you say floral and citrus. That would be a treat and out of the norm. Hopefully, it's not another BOTL over stating on a quality brand. As oppose to just telling the truth. Thanks Ol` Phobic one :).....

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    very nice review on Camacho Liberty 2012 Glen. I haven't smoke Liberty for a while. maybe time has come to try this one.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    So for this review I'm doing the La Flor Dominicana, Cameroon Cabinet chisel. One of the very last of the LFD's that I haven't had and for this review I did something I normally don't do, smoke 3 of them before I write. Well shall we get on with it....

La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet Chisel 6 x 52

Origin: Dominican Republic
    Wrapper: Cameroon
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua

Pre Light:
    This is a very nice looking cigar. The band is really nicely done and the wrapper is almost flawless. The smell of the cigar is a bit on the hay/earth spectrum which is what I pick up a lot on cameroon wrappers. Now this is a chisel so no cutter required, just use the lips to wet the end, and squeeze the sides together and it opens right up. The wrapper tastes a bit like dirt/haylike and the draw brings with it some tobacco, hay, earth, and a bit of spice.

1st Half:
    In lighting I took care to evenly toast the foot for a nice glow, then after a few puffs copious amounts of smoke came pouring out. After a few rounds of slow draws I started to settle in and let my palette do the rest. As in the pre light, lots of earth, tobacco, and a bit of hay dominated the taste. There was a hit of spice as well, especially on the retrohale. Moving further a long into the cigar I was able to pick up some anise and a hint of cinnamon and this was on the retrohale mind you. The burn is staying really sharp and the smoke keeps on coming. I love the draw on this cigar, it's not super loose but just right. As far as how strong it is; it's not. I'd say medium at the MOST.

The Rest:
    Moving after the half way point the burn seems to get rough. It really starts to get uneven, actually a bit before the half way point but it's close. These just came from a shop so maybe they just need to rest in a stable environment or something. Other than the annoying burn issue the flavor stays constant and the smoke is still pouring out. There's a bit of a stronger hit on the spice/pepper but it isn't a slap in the face more of a mild push. I also swear I got a bit of nutmeg. I smoked this guy as far as I could before my fingers started to burn. I let it go out after that.

Conclusion:
    So out of the 3 that I smoked they all performed about the same. The burn issue seems to start about half way and eventually got better but it was annoying. The flavor profile wasn't a roller coaster but stayed nice and steady. These sticks seem to be hard to find around my area as I had to resort to the interwebs however I am glad I did. These are nice smokes! Most of the cigars I've had from LFD are top notch but whether I will add these to my stash as a box remains to be seen. They come in rather large boxes however the chisel has them in I think 20 counts while the other sizes are in 50 counts. I recommend this cigar especially to Cameroon lovers and the prices isn't a punch in the wallet either.