Home General Discussion

top 3

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    We should do this monthly, to see if peoples choices would change much.
    i dont think mine would on a monthly basis...

maybe on a 6 month basis.

i have too many cigars under my belt and too much of a base. change in my top 3 is a long, difficult process.

however, for some of the very new guys, this would change a lot faster. new brands, new cigars, new everything.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:

i have too many cigars under my belt and too much of a base. change in my top 3 is a long, difficult process.

however, for some of the very new guys, this would change a lot faster. new brands, new cigars, new everything.
    Yea, my favorites wouldn't change monthly, but maybe what I'm most into at the moment. I tend to get on kicks where I smoke one maker pretty often for a while, then switch to another, but my favorite stay pretty steady. I'm looking forward to trying some of the new blends coming out from Tatuaje soon. I was checking out the pictures of the packaging and some of the smokes on Pete Johnsons Facebook page and they look and sound interesting!
    thats about how i am. Camacho and AVO have been in the top 3 for a while. Fuente was for years. LFD has been inching in for about a year now. i needed time to decide if it would edge out either AVO or Fuente. I cant bring myself to put Tatuaje in the top 3 yet. too new. it may be a passing fad for me.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    clearlysuspect:
    shamrocked:
    and i dont know how to format...
    Here's How To Format
    thank you for that information - really helps
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Kuzi - what are your favorites from Camacho that have lead them to be your #1? I've got a bunch of Camachos that came in the last few weeks in trades. So far I've had the PE (in my top 5 cigars ever) and the Select - wonderful cigar. I haven't tried many of the others just yet. Waiting for them to rest for a while.

My favorites are probably:
    Pete Johnson/DPG
    A. Fernandez
    And a tie between Oliva and 5 Vegas.
    Honorable mention to Padilla and RP. CAO is up there as well. Like Laker said - too many solid choices out there.
    TatuajeVI:
    Kuzi - what are your favorites from Camacho that have lead them to be your #1? I've got a bunch of Camachos that came in the last few weeks in trades. So far I've had the PE (in my top 5 cigars ever) and the Select - wonderful cigar. I haven't tried many of the others just yet. Waiting for them to rest for a while.
    diploma, diploma maduro, SLR maduro, Havanna....

in general, camacho does very well with maduro. On the other hand, i have never had a camacho i didnt like. the only one that i felt was over priced was the Liberty. for how much you pay for those guys there are consistency issues.
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    1. Diesel 2. Don Pepin 3. 5 vegas(miami,classic, limitada)
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    1: Ashton
    2: Romeo y Julieta
    3: Montecristo

But in fairness to the others. I am relatively new to the game so I haven't had the chance to do more than 2 cigars of the other brands such as Fuente, Patel, Padron, 5 Vegas, Don Pepin, etc....
  • !. Don Pepin Garcia(his label and hiis blends for other labels)
    2. Viaje
    3. Camacho
    honorable mention to Padilla, 5 Vegas
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Fuente (Included Regular, GoF, Hemingway and Don Carlos)
    Gurkha (There are a bunch of Gurkhas that I do not like but some are really good like the Shaggy and the Ancient Warrior)
    Not too sure about the third. I like the VSG but the rest are just ok. I like the Series V but the rest are just ok. I like some Rocky but others are just ok. I like the Padilla 48 and Miami but the rest haven't knocked me out. I guess I'll have to hold off on the third for now.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ok here we go

1) Rocky Patel - Decade catapults him to the top I like his stuff withought the Decade he is 3 or 4.
    2) AJ Fernandez - Midas Touch Havent had anyhthing he has made and not enjoyed it.
    3) Oliva - Love the Nub and the Connecticut and others.
    4) RYJ - This is new to me, Of course Ive heard of them, but never had them. This may move into the top three in the near future.

• Gurkha, Rocky Patel, CAO
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    A. J. Fernandez
    Ashton/Fuente
    Gurkha/La Flor Dominica/Oliva/RP
  • Torano Perdomo Cusano Pepin and Fernandez are climbing fast
  • Fuentes Hemingway, Perdomo ESV 91, CUsano 18 maduro This will change I'm new enough to be surprised by lots of different good cigars I've never had before. The latest good surprises were brickhouse and Punch Rare Corojo.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Fuente Opus X, Fuente Anejo, La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro (the big ring guage one)
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    So after tonight here are my top 3 cigars and then top 3 brands:

Rocky Patel Decade
    Rocky Patel OWR Maduro
    CAO Brazillia!

Brands:
    Rocky Patel
    Oliva
    Romeo y Julieta/Fonseca/CAO tie :)
    kuzi16:
    i know that this topic has been about before, but i recently changed my top three brands and i figured others probably have as well.

mine are

1) Camacho
    2) La Flor Dominicana
    3) AVO

honorable mention to Tatuaje and Arturo Fuente

Fuente got dropped out of the top three because LFD has made such a huge impression on me in the last few months. i have yet to smoke one that i didnt like. its nosing in on camacho. AVO is still third simply because of the lack of complexity in the Maduro. If Tatuaje keeps impressing me the way it has been then AVO may fall off the top three. ...unless they come out with an impressive limited run cigar.
    what a difference a year makes.

I know i necroposted here but i was going to try and do this every 6 months. based off what was said later in this thread:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:

my top three brands in order are now:
    1)La Flor Dominicana
    2) Avo
    3) Joya de Nicaragua

camacho (which had been in my top three for about 4 years) has fallen off, not due to lack of quality, but to the fact that JdN does not have a single cigar that dont like. THe introduction of the Dark Corojo and the cabinetta just pushed it over the edge. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for Camacho (especially their Maduro offerings) but as a brand i feel that JdN has them beat by a nose.

other honorable mentions include: Davidoff, DPG, Liga Privada

according to my original post of:
    kuzi16:
    Camacho and AVO have been in the top 3 for a while. Fuente was for years. LFD has been inching in for about a year now. i needed time to decide if it would edge out either AVO or Fuente. I cant bring myself to put Tatuaje in the top 3 yet. too new. it may be a passing fad for me.
    i have come to the conclusion that for me Tatuaje is a passing fad. they do have some good cigars and they are a bit different than many cigars out there but i dont think that they have produced anything that impresses me the way i want them to or in a way that will get them in my top three.
    yes, even i get caught up in the hype of a brand sometimes.

• Padron, LFD, and Fuente in no particular order. As for specifics...The 64 Anniversaries from Padron are fantastic, though slightly more costly- My favorite of these being the 1926 44 family reserve in maduro. Fan freaking tastic stick. LFD Factory Press III is my favorite from LFD because of the coffee and thick chocolate tastes. Fuente is pretty much any of them specifically Opus, Anejo, and Maduro Hemingways.
  • LFD for sure, MOW Ruination, Diesel not necessarily in order. I have literally 100 sticks in the humi waiting to be tried so I guarantee by this summer I'll have a whole new take.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    1. Man O War
    2. Diesel
    3. 5 Vegas
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Mine have changed as well. The new order:

1. A.J. Fernandez
    2. DPG
    3. CAO

Some day maybe Camacho will be in there (as I seem to really be liking them)but at this point I just haven't had enough of their lines to really put them in.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    If we're talking brands, not specific cigars, mine currently are:

JdN
    AJ
    LFD
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Padilla-(the 48, 68, Miami and 1932 keep this line here although he has more decent smokes but also some bummers)
    AF-( they have been putting out some a-1 stuff for decades so they keep a place close to my heart)
    5 vegas (this is only on here because to me there hole line is ok and at 2 bucks a stick thats saying something)

I have yet to smoke any JDN but would like to you guys really talk highly of them
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Man O war blends, LFD, Camacho.
    There are several that would compete with my third choice and would all fall in at number 4. JDN would definately be right in there, as would Padilla and Oliva, Fuente ...
    I am finding that while my taste preferrence has been changing, that I want more of the sticks I KNOW I like and I am starting to get more reluctant to try something on a hunch or whatever. When I sit down to enjoy a stick I want the experience to be totally enjoyable, and not have to wonder if the stick of the day is going to deliver or disapoint. It is a good thing that I like a lot of different blends but my humi's are starting to get full of my major likes with fewer and fewer "Unknown" or "not tried yet" type of sticks.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i know that this topic has been about before, but i recently changed my top three brands and i figured others probably have as well.

mine are

1) Camacho
    2) La Flor Dominicana
    3) AVO

Fuente got dropped out of the top three because LFD has made such a huge impression on me in the last few months. i have yet to smoke one that i didnt like. its nosing in on camacho. AVO is still third simply because of the lack of complexity in the Maduro. If Tatuaje keeps impressing me the way it has been then AVO may fall off the top three. ...unless they come out with an impressive limited run cigar.
    I like LFD too, it sucks that they just raised their prices.

1. Rocky Patel 3. Alec Bradley (can't beat that Tempus Maduro, GREAT smoke)

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

mine are

1) Camacho
    2) La Flor Dominicana
    3) AVO

I like LFD too, it sucks that they just raised their prices.

1. Rocky Patel
    2. Padron
    3. Alec Bradley (can't beat that Tempus Maduro, GREAT smoke)

"Long ashes my friends."

Fourtotheflush:
    Ok here we go

1) Rocky Patel - Decade catapults him to the top I like his stuff withought the Decade he is 3 or 4.
    2) AJ Fernandez - Midas Touch Havent had anyhthing he has made and not enjoyed it.
    4) RYJ - This is new to me, Of course Ive heard of them, but never had them. This may move into the top three in the near future.

Oh yes, what a diff a year makes.

So my new top 3 is/are

Padron - for their Anny series

Ashton - Loving the VSG & Cabinet

Tied:
    LFD - Loving the Airbender
    AF - Hemmingway and GOF do it for me!

• Fourtotheflush:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ok here we go

Oh yes, what a diff a year makes.

So my new top 3 is/are

Padron - for their Anny series

Ashton - Loving the VSG & Cabinet

Tied:
    LFD - Loving the Airbender
    AF - Hemmingway and GOF do it for me!

Man, I really need to try some Padron.. What are the must-haves? I know I have a regular Padron in the humi I need to try.
    Totally get a 1926. Ive had a couple sizes and both were GREAT!..... Ive seen debate where folks think that the 1926 blend is better than the 45th & 46th Anniversary. But those are REALLY spendy! So definately start off with a 2000/3000 in either the Mad or the Nat and enjoy!