Home General Discussion
Options

FAVORITE DRINK/CIGAR COMBO

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Was just sitting here relaxing and thought I would try to get a new thread started. I know everyone that smokes cigars and drinks alcohol has certain cigars that go well with certain drinks... For instance one of my favorite combos is a Crown and Coke with a Rocky Patel Vintage 92. I also like an Alec Bradley Maxx with a Coors Light... Tell everyone what your all time favorite cigar/drink combo is and lets have some fun with this. Happy smoking and drinking to all!

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    usually im not a fan of anything but water, but every now and then a good vanilla stoli and coke does good things. I love beers and ales but for some reason not so much with cigars.
  • Options
    What cigar would you say goes best with a good vanilla stoli and coke Kuz?
  • Options
    quite a few actually. camacho havanna was a good one. I liked the gurkha regent with it. cola just pairs well with a cigar.
  • Options
    i also enjoy a coke with all my cigars. actually i drink a coke zero. i tried mixed drinks like rum/coke, brandy/coke and few others but i noticed i concentrated on the drink more than the cigar. also i like to gargle the coke about every 5 or so puffs to cleanse the tongue. you would be surprised at how much the flavor of the cigar comes back to life after cleansing the palate.
  • Options
    I've found that straight bourbon like Gentleman Jack or something along that lines goes very well with a good cigar. Something dark and full bodied with a good bourbon is close to heaven for me! haha
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Crown n' Sweet Tea (yes, really) goes well with most of the cigars I smoke like Oliva Gs and Padrons. Oliva V goes well with a good red Zinfindel. Oh and a nice aged Tawny is great with Oliva G also.
  • Options
    ilikebigbutts-cigarbutts:
    i also enjoy a coke with all my cigars. actually i drink a coke zero. i tried mixed drinks like rum/coke, brandy/coke and few others but i noticed i concentrated on the drink more than the cigar. also i like to gargle the coke about every 5 or so puffs to cleanse the tongue. you would be surprised at how much the flavor of the cigar comes back to life after cleansing the palate.
    it makes sence. the human body tastes things better when they are the opposite of each other. For example: Salt goes well with chocolate because tey are so opposite of each other. spicy pizza and cool sweet orange juice do it for me.
    the two of us drinking coke with a cigar makes sence in a way. Coke is acidic. Cigar smoke is Alkaline.

coffee is acidic also. this may be why people tend to like coffee and cigar pairing.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    I've found that straight bourbon like Gentleman Jack or something along that lines goes very well with a good cigar. Something dark and full bodied with a good bourbon is close to heaven for me! haha
    I couldn't agree more with this. I dont' like Gentleman Jack, I don't like Jack at all actually but a good bourbon is the best thing with a cigar. I've recently found a bourbon called American Honey, made by Wild Turkey it actually has a quite noticable honey flavor to the bourbon. Goes extremely well with a full bodied, spicy cigar IMO.

Unlike some of you guys I can not drink Coke with a cigar it always ruins the experience for me. Occasionally I'll drink beer with a cigar, like Kuzi I'm a beer snob so it's usually a Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat or Sam Adams of some kind. Usually however its bourbon, unless I'm doing a review then its straight water.
  • Options
    mmmm magic hat.
  • Options
    I've had some crappy Sam's, I've never had a crappy Magic Hat. You had their Summer Variety Show box yet? The Not Quiet Pale Ale #9 I think they call it is my least favorite and its still good.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    "Magic Hat" sounds like a euphemism for some kind of sex act. But then, what doesn't.

I drink cold water, generally. If I'm having 2 cigars, I'll often have a jigger of good bourbon (with just a splash of water to open it up) between them -- Rock Hill Farms or Woodford, sometimes Blanton's. Every now and then I'll have Scotch. The thing with Scotch, though, is you can't drink the really peaty stuff with a cigar; it's too strong a flavor. That's fine by me, since I don't like the really peaty stuff anyway. I like Balvenie. Nice and smooth.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I've had some crappy Sam's, I've never had a crappy Magic Hat. You had their Summer Variety Show box yet? The Not Quiet Pale Ale #9 I think they call it is my least favorite and its still good.
    i think its brewed with essence of apricot. thats what give it its distinct taste. this is so far the only exception to my "dont fruit the beer" rule.
  • Options
    I'm not an advocate of the don't fruit the beer rule, I like an orange in my Blue Moon and a lime in my Dos Equis and apparently and apricot in my Magic Hat.
  • Options
    im getting over blue moon and the belgian style white ales. Im leaning more and more to porters and dark lagers. no fruit there.
  • Options
    i tried the water with a cigar thing once and did not like it at all. just a real washed out nasty taste for me. gues i need to age my cahoneys some instead of my cigars to become a water n cigar kinda guy. o, not knockin the idea at all just sayin what my experience with it was.
  • Options
    i could see that. maybe some day you can try it again. Maybe you could try some milk, cola, or coffee
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I only drink a couple beverages with my cigars, Ice water and unsweetened Iced tea. I've tried beer and it just didn't work out so much, and I've also tried some harder drinks, but at the end of the day I prefer something neutral and soothing.
  • Options
    ooooh. tea i forgot all about that. thats what i drank all last summer with cigars.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Good ole sweet tea (southern wine, brown sugar water) its like the nector of the gods.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Ice cold water or Newcastle brown ale are some good go-gets for me... but then Bacardi-Limon and Diet Coke can do wonders for some cigars.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I generally drink a Sam Adams or ice tea. I'm looking for a good bourbon to drink.
  • Options
    Hmmmm good bourbon. Where do we begin, urbi, you gonna help out on this? Booker's is a favorite as well as Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Elijiah Craig is good as well, but Evan Williams single Barrel is my old stand by.
  • Options
    I listed a few in a previous post on this thread, though I probably should add to that that Blanton's has a definite bite; might not be the best choice for a starter. Booker's is good. Pappy Van Winkle is a classic. A lot of people like Buffalo Trace. And there's always Maker's Mark, though I haven't been able to go near it since I was served some in a glass some previous patron had used as an ashtray and the barkeep hadn't washed very well.
  • Options
    That sucks!
    Maker's is probably a good beginners choice as its got a little sweetness to it.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Thanks for the suggestions on the bourbon. Most of the stuff I've drank has been Jack Daniel's or something along those lines. Never did much for me.
  • Options

Hands down, best drink for me to have with a cigar is some Jamesons Irish Whiskey on ice.  Also, if anyone is anywhere near Cleveland, do yourself a favor and pick up some Great Lakes Brewing Co beer.  Everything they make is exceptional.  Their Dortmunder Gold goes well with most mild cigars.  I had it the other day with a Rocky Patel Connecticut and paired very well for my taste

As far as bourbons go, Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Russell's Reserve (also from the makers of the dirty bird) are very nice, though may be considered pricey for some.

• Options
    Jamesons is good but I prefer Killarney Irish Whiskey...
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    Thanks for the suggestions on the bourbon. Most of the stuff I've drank has been Jack Daniel's or something along those lines. Never did much for me.
    Jack isn't actually Bourbon, its just Tennessee whiskey. Slight differences.
  • Options
    Jameson is good stuff. I like both the regular and the 18 y.o., which has sort of an apple-y aftertaste. I've never had Killarney's. I tried Bushmill's, but didn't like it as well as Jameson.

For those of you who like a Coke with your smoke, Jameson & Coke is some yummy stuff. It was my first whiskey drink.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    The last time I had a Great Lakes beer must have been '97. I'll agree that the whole offering is excellent. One of the best of the pseudo-micro brewers out there, for sure.