Options

FAVORITE DRINK/CIGAR COMBO

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i had one last week. yum.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I do like Bushmills. Haven't had any in a while and actually never had any witha cigar. I'm gonna have to get some and give it a try!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Bushmills :) .... Cigars were created to go with whiskey!
  • Options
    urbino:
    Jameson is good stuff. I like both the regular and the 18 y.o., which has sort of an apple-y aftertaste. I've never had Killarney's. I tried Bushmill's, but didn't like it as well as Jameson.

For those of you who like a Coke with your smoke, Jameson & Coke is some yummy stuff. It was my first whiskey drink.
    Killarney is the oldest Irish Whiskey still produced in its original facility. I visited it in Killarney, Ireland and did a sampling, I was asked to pick out which was Irish, Scotch and American whiskey's. That was REAL tough lemme tell ya. I won a fifth for guessing correctly, guess my @$$, I knew! lol
  • Options
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Jameson is good stuff. I like both the regular and the 18 y.o., which has sort of an apple-y aftertaste. I've never had Killarney's. I tried Bushmill's, but didn't like it as well as Jameson.

For those of you who like a Coke with your smoke, Jameson & Coke is some yummy stuff. It was my first whiskey drink.
    Killarney is the oldest Irish Whiskey still produced in its original facility. I visited it in Killarney, Ireland and did a sampling, I was asked to pick out which was Irish, Scotch and American whiskey's. That was REAL tough lemme tell ya. I won a fifth for guessing correctly, guess my @$$, I knew! lol
    if you are into whiskey youd know. much like i can tell a connecticut shade, corojo, and a few others by taste.
  • Options
    I can for the most part kuz.
  • Options
    i cant. id get more into it but im just not drawn to it like i am to beer or wine. eh, not for everyone.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Bourbon, Scotch, and Irish whiskey have pretty distinctive characters. I've never tried a blind taste test, but I think I'd be able to tell them apart pretty easily.
  • Options
    Well it was particularly easy bc the scotch was peat smoked, and the bourbon was Jim Beam.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Well it was particularly easy bc the scotch was peat smoked, and the bourbon was Jim Beam.
    So how was the Killarney's, never tried that. If it's your last drink/smoke ever, what whiskey/bourbon and cigar are you choosing?
  • Options
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    So how was the Killarney's, never tried that. If it's your last drink/smoke ever, what whiskey/bourbon and cigar are you choosing?
    Killarney's is my fave Irish whiskey, its great.

Dude thats tough, I'd have to ponder that. The bourbon I'm not sure probably a Evan Single Barrel, the cigar probably a vintage ISOM Montecristo or Cohiba limitada.
  • Options
    If I had to choose my last and final Cigar/Whiskey combo... I would say I'd have to go with a Padron 1926 Series and Crown Royal Xtra Rare. I've tried the XR one time and it was the most amazingly smooth whiskey! I admit I'm a big Crown fan, but thats not just a bias answer, it really was that good.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I'm with ya on the Crown XR...since you clearly have good taste, I'll have to try that Padron too.
  • Options
    CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Short Story and a cup of Kauai Peaberry, it's the breakfast of champions! Second, would be a Bolivar PC and Hvana Club rum.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    My favorite is the Smoking Loon Merlot with my sticks. It has some of the same flavor profiles as cigars and enhances the flavors.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    PuroFreak:
    If I had to choose my last and final Cigar/Whiskey combo... I would say I'd have to go with a Padron 1926 Series and Crown Royal Xtra Rare. I've tried the XR one time and it was the most amazingly smooth whiskey! I admit I'm a big Crown fan, but thats not just a bias answer, it really was that good.
    Crown XR is not their best product. If you can get your hands on it, you have to try Crown Limited Edition. It's only sold in Canada. Taste like Crown but goes down like water. Unbelievably smooth.
  • Options
    Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get my hands on some one of these days. Sounds promising if it is that smooth! But after reading back through some of the posts I think I'm going to have to go get me a bottle of Bushmills Wed. It's gonna be a great day! At least a two smoke day! haha One on the course, then one sitting around the pool having a drink or two after dinner... I'm soooo ready for the end of my work week!!!! haha
  • Options
    I have been a crown enthusiast for a while, a friend and I have downed close to 100 crown HANDLES. I find the XR to be very over rated personally. Buffalo trace is delicious, Michter's is stellar (Burbon or Rye). 
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    favor4afavor:
    Buffalo trace is delicious, Michter's is stellar (Burbon or Rye). 

I tried Buffalo trace over in Paris and really enjoyed the stuff. Haven't had it since and unfortunately didn't have a cigar with it over there. I usually go with cognac as a first choice - Remy Martin XO (I've had Hine XO and VSOP, Courvoisier XO and VSOP and Hennessy VSOP and Remy XO is my favorite) - or Scotch for a second choice - my latest bottle I'm working on is Glenfiddich 21 year (Carribean Rum Finish). I like the complexity of both drinks with a good cigar. I find they tend to help bring out and develop the flavors in each other. Occasionally I'll have rum on the rocks (just finished a bottle of Ron Zacappa Centenario - good stuff) and just recently tried Navan (cognac infused with vanilla) - good stuff, but a little sweet and heavy.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    If you like rum on the rocks, try a Pyrat XO Reserve. I drink it neat however. I can't stand water in my rum, tequila, or bourbon. For tequila, I'd recommend El Tesoro Anejo or Herradura Anejo. For bourbon, I've been wanting to get my hands on a bottle of Buffalo Trace, but I haven't found it around here yet.

I find that strong liquors overpower my cigar. I try to stick with something very light. Lately, I've been drinking Sprite Zero with some dirt cheap blended whiskey. Also, since I'm a Schlitz drinker, I find an American lager won't overpower the flavor of a cigar.

The combo is very much dependent on both the cigar and the drink. One can easily overpower the other, and you want the flavors to marry. I had Pyrat XO with an Onyx Reserve and thought that was outstanding.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I like just a splash of water in my bourbon or scotch. I find it opens up the flavors.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I've tried Pyrat XO and thought it was good but enjoyed the Ron Zacappa much more. It's a darker rum and that's my personal preference. A bit sweeter. The Buffalo Trace is a bit harder to find, but worth it if you can get your hands on a bottle. I'm thinking of picking up one for myself soon. I think my next rum venture will be the Goslings Family Reserve.
  • Options
    I recently enjoyed a Rocky Patel Decade accompanied by a little vanilla cognac. A little slice of heaven...
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    If you want something a bit sweeter than Pyrat, try Zaya rum.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    If you want something a bit sweeter than Pyrat, try Zaya rum.
    i have been known to enjoy some rum with a cigar. I just dont drink many adult beverages while i smoke.
  • Options
    KRNelson:
    I recently enjoyed a Rocky Patel Decade accompanied by a little vanilla cognac. A little slice of heaven...
    Rocky Patel Decade is a good smoke with ANYTHING to drink!!! haha GREAT cigar!
  • Options
    sackermasackerma Posts: 45
    I myself am a coffe and a smoke kind of guy, though somone sugested to me that "metromint" a water with mint in it was good for a smoke.. i dont know though sounds fishy.. anyone try it... or have luck with a good coffee?
  • Options
    iduno about the mint hing. to me that sounds like they are fishin for menthol. even when i smoked cigarettes i didnt smoke menthol.

coffee is a CLASSIC cigar drink. the alkalinity of cigars smoke contrasts the acidity of coffee.
    ... its like pineapple on pizza, only more relaxing.
  • Options
    All these Crown drinkers.

You guys remember the popcorn flavored Jelly Belly's? Thats what Crown Royal reminds me of. LOL
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Coffee and a mild 5 Vegas Gold this morning. Always a good combo.