Home Non Cigar Related

&^%$ the weather report

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
At 1AM it said 5-7 inches of snow on the weather map.

At 2AM it said 8 inches.

At 6AM we had 1 inch of ice pellets and it is still coming down.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We sure got some! Probably 5" now and still coming. Supposed to get another 5-8" today
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Just record breaking cold up here in MI. Yesterday morning, I asked my furnace to raise the temperature over a 100 degrees above the wind chill outside. No snow, though, so I don't have to go out and work in these temps.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    We sure got some! Probably 5" now and still coming. Supposed to get another 5-8" today

I was actually looking forward to the first measurable snow since I have been down here. And much prefer snow over ice any day.
    SleevePlz:
    Just record breaking cold up here in MI. Yesterday morning, I asked my furnace to raise the temperature over a 100 degrees above the wind chill outside. No snow, though, so I don't have to go out and work in these temps.
    Stay warm! It's pretty cold here, but nothing like that!!
    jd50ae:
    Gray4lines:

I was actually looking forward to the first measurable snow since I have been down here. And much prefer snow over ice any day.
    Me too. Snow isn't terrible. Especially when ya got nothing to do but stay in!
    From ab 2 hours ago. I bet we have another 2 inches now. image
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been low 80's here
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    It's been low 80's here
    Hehe. I played golf in shorts yesterday. 20% chance of snow tonight...
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -8 this morning. Sun is out though
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    danielzreyes:
    It's been low 80's here
    i hate you both btw....

...from the drive this morning....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Isn't that a weird thought? Wind chill of -36 last night, my thermostat at 72.... 108 degree difference. That's messed up.
    SleevePlz:
    and i thought it was bad here....but the windchill was **only** in the -20 range.

brrrr!!!!

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been in the 70's, where I'm at.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Milder winter temperatures will decrease heavy snowstorms.”
    ..... IPCC 2001 Third Assessment Report.

In the 30+ years I have been in Delaware, this is the first time I can recall temps below 5 degrees. Twas 1* this morning, and 8" snow is predicted tonight. Once the temps drop into the singles, I'm rolling the dice whether my motorcycle will start after parking in front of the office all day. Oil gets thick, battery gets weak. The KLR has an automagic compression release that makes super cold starts more likely. But at 2*, I'm not optimistic.

Talked to a guy in North Carolina today. Told me his shop was unheated, and temps in the 20s; wearing all the layers he could, but his toes were hurting. Just got off the phone with a gal from the northeast part of that state, where it hit 18* last night. Reading about record snowfall in Lhasa. Snow killing animals in Spain. A fishing vessel trapped in ice near Antarctica.

“Milder winter temperatures will decrease heavy snowstorms.”
    ..... IPCC 2001 Third Assessment Report.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Gray4lines:

Well, we got that! Snow over ice. I'm just a little north of you, get any of the snow yet? or just ice...?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Another day in paradise here, don't worry jd the birds are taken care of.
    The back door to the deck is open, was buried to the roof. Little damage not too bad.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    jd50ae:
    Gray4lines:

Well, we got that! Snow over ice. I'm just a little north of you, get any of the snow yet? or just ice...?

Everything stopped and the we got about 3 minutes of snow. Otherwise just ice.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are supposed to get 10 inches tonight. Snowing hard right now. It is also going to zero next couple of nights. My woodpile is disappearing.The ski people are happy. My humidor temp in my studio is in the high 40's. Extra suet, corn and sunflower seeds are out. Saw a couple of Robins last week, hope they make it.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    pelirrojo:
    danielzreyes:
    It's been low 80's here
    i hate you both btw....

...from the drive this morning....
    If it makes you feel better, it's only 76 today and Frankie has diarrhea.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    All these snowy pics remind me of my childhood in North Dakota, I'll say one good thing about Texas, it hits 32 and they shut the city down!!! (And thats one day outa the whole winter) No white christmasses though :(
    The3Stogies:
    Another day in paradise here, don't worry jd the birds are taken care of.
    The back door to the deck is open, was buried to the roof. Little damage not too bad.
    Damn!
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    SM0K3Y:
    All these snowy pics remind me of my childhood in North Dakota, I'll say one good thing about Texas, it hits 32 and they shut the city down!!! (And thats one day outa the whole winter) No white christmasses though :(
    we went from 72 here in houston to 41in about forty five minutes lol.even our weather man were slack jawed
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crousefer:
    SM0K3Y:
    we went from 72 here in houston to 41in about forty five minutes lol.even our weather man were slack jawed

Yep, left the house at 6AM yesterday 64 got to the job site about 50 min later 36 with 20 Mph wind, calling for mid 50's today and 60's tomorrow. I feel for the brothers up north, but I don't miss it at all!
    onestrangeone:
    Crousefer:
    SM0K3Y:

Yep, left the house at 6AM yesterday 64 got to the job site about 50 min later 36 with 20 Mph wind, calling for mid 50's today and 60's tomorrow. I feel for the brothers up north, but I don't miss it at all!

Part of me misses it, but only a little bit, its gotta be hell to work and commute in
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No hell in the least. That's ridic. Of all the things people like to exaggerate, snow has gotta be right up there near the top. The worst that can happen, you get to stay home and snuggle by the fire, and say: "I couldn't dig out, boss." This morning was just like a picture postcard:

Light, fluffy, 5", A nice workout shovelling the drive. Then a slow relaxed drive to work. Tires crunching, flakes floating. You got to like weather. The breath of the universe.

Worst thing that happened, yoga got cancelled. The instructor advised snowga instead:

There's only two of us who appreciate weather for the great thing it is: Me and Jim Cantore. Well, us, and all the children home from school today, making snowmen and looking for a slope to slide down. Soon enough, we'll all be in a hermetically sealed box where there is no weather. Enjoy it while you can.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the weather, too webmost. It's idiots who can't handle it that bug me. All the schools around here are cancelled, but the roads look better than they do after a good plowing and salting up North. Bad thing is my job cancels when the schools do, and so I don't get paid.

I saw a report that part of the obesity epidemic is because we don't allow ourselves to get cold enough to force our bodies to use energy just to stay warm.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    This thread makes me miss North Dakota,LOL
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Here's all the fun we're having here in Massachusetts, after four straight weeks of foot-or-more storms, including 19" last weekend. I had to venture into the backyard to snow-rake three feet of snow off the roof and the untrodden snow I was trodding through was literally up to my collarbone. I'm about 5'9". The snowdrifts around the walkways are about 12 feet high. We're thinking about offering lift tickets.

holy icicles raisin!!!
    i know you guys have had a particularly brutal winter/snow this year but you best check those gutters as soon as the temps warm up ... and check that attic insulation too, could be getting ice dams.

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    holy icicles raisin!!!
    i know you guys have had a particularly brutal winter/snow this year but you best check those gutters as soon as the temps warm up ... and check that attic insulation too, could be getting ice dams.

Oh, believe me, we have Hoover-sized ice dams, as does everyone else up here. We've had one intermittent inside leak so far, and people tell us we're lucky--all the local Home Depots have run out of pails.