Home Non Cigar Related
Options

&^%$ the weather report

Comments

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Sunday we almost hit 40, if you got out of the wind is was pretty nice. This morning -11. Turned the heat up for the morning rituals, house is making some weird sounds, you know it's cold out there. One good thing, snow pack is setting up nice, thinking of digging a snow tunnel out back.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eulogy:
    It's also more apt to be called climate change versus global warming.
    Of course it is. They changed the name cause it turned out there was no global warming; whereas, think about it: there is always change! That's the beauty of the theory at the basis of this mass hysteria: It's utterly undisprovable. Hotter there? Climate change! Colder here? Climate change! Storms the other place? Climate change! Ingrown toenail? Climate change! Dry? Climate change! Wet? Climate change! Windy? Eeeeeeeek! Climate change! How do you disprove change? Change is constant and ubiquitous. Welcome to our wonderful universe, where no amount of carbon tax, no amount of boondoggles, no amount of hysteria will halt change.

One way or another, warmer or colder, fifty years from now, people will look back and say: "WTF were they all so worried about?"

I just want my money back. If you can't do that, cause it's already been squandered, then, at the very least, be decent enough to take your hand out of my pocket now.

Nothing I propose begins by stealing your money nor ends by pushing you around. Please afford me the same courtesy.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Eulogy:
    Of course it is. They changed the name cause it turned out there was no global warming; whereas, think about it: there is always change! That's the beauty of the theory at the basis of this mass hysteria: It's utterly undisprovable. Hotter there? Climate change! Colder here? Climate change! Storms the other place? Climate change! Ingrown toenail? Climate change! Dry? Climate change! Wet? Climate change! Windy? Eeeeeeeek! Climate change! How do you disprove change? Change is constant and ubiquitous. Welcome to our wonderful universe, where no amount of carbon tax, no amount of boondoggles, no amount of hysteria will halt change.

One way or another, warmer or colder, fifty years from now, people will look back and say: "WTF were they all so worried about?"

I just want my money back. If you can't do that, cause it's already been squandered, then, at the very least, be decent enough to take your hand out of my pocket now.

Nothing I propose begins by stealing your money nor ends by pushing you around. Please afford me the same courtesy.

Look, I don't think that there's much to refute that long-term climate change is occurring The average global temperature has gone steadily over the past century, with most of it occurring over the past 50 years. Much of the U.S. has been stuck in droughts, some areas for decades. Average ocean temperatures have been rising and this is changing many local oceanographic climates. Over a long-term period, the polar glaciers have been disappearing at a faster rate than even before. These are long term measurements that are independent of local weather conditions. That's why people make the distinction between climate change (a gradual process) and local weather conditions (which will always vary). For example, here in Boston, of the 10 largest seasonal snowfalls recorded since around 1900, six of them have occurred since 1992. I am tempted to claim that global climate change is making my region more susceptible to blizzards, but since this is really about local weather I don't.

You can accept the fact--which, somewhere in your argument I think you are--that global climate change is occurring and that, overall, the Earth is becoming warmer without having to accept the argument that much of the cause of this warming is the increase of CO2 caused by human behavior. I think one of the main weaknesses of those attacking climate change studies is that they think that agreeing the data means they have to support carbon tax and regulations. No, they don't. They can say, like you do, that climate change and global warming temperatures are simply natural processes. Or that they're the actions of a the deity of your choice or by Aliens Who Wish to Serve Mankind with a Side Order of Kale.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Eulogy:

It seems like your argument against climate change is the funding that goes into researching the problem. I understand that you disagree with how the government is spending your taxes, but they funds allocated for research are around .8 to 2% of federal spending(depending on sources). I don't agree with how our budget is spent either; but asking for a refund for climate change research isn't the cash cow you're making it out to be.
  • Options
    Glory Halleluiah....UPS finally delivered.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Glory Halleluiah....UPS finally delivered.
    That is a miracle for UPS.
  • Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five more inches today with five to eight inches Wed night. My other is teaching ceramics at App Stat Un and has missed four classes. The weather has thrown her schedule in the round file. Clay needs to be formed, be glazed, dry, and be fired. i on the other hand only have to think about which cigar I'm going to smoke next.
  • Options
    raisindot:
    The3Stogies:
    One thing I think of during this snowy/cold winter is how they survived this crap back in the old days. More importantly why, in the name of Satan's Popsicle, would any one settle and stay here?

I ask myself the same G-D question every single day of every single winter. And my answer is that I would move the hell out of here to a warmer area of the country in a NY minute, but the missus doesn't want to leave.

After another 5 inch snowstorm on Saturday, the sun actually appeared and heated my town up to 48 degrees, the first time it's cracked 35 since Christmas. I lit up my first stogie of 2015 (a Hemingway Short Story, if you want to know--I didn't have a lot of time) and took a walk around the neighborhood, watching people desperately try to clear the ice dams and snow drifts from their roofs (I'd already spent hours doing this myself. I deserved the break).

Today back down to 21 degrees and blustery winds and more snow expected Wednesday.

The 2 months of summer we get, after mud season, makes it worth it.
  • Options
    The3Stogies:

Five months from now, when the last of this s**t has finally melted, if I hear one person in Boston complaining about the heat There Will Be a Reckoning of Medieval Proportions.
  • Options
    raisindot:
    The3Stogies:

Five months from now, when the last of this s**t has finally melted, if I hear one person in Boston complaining about the heat There Will Be a Reckoning of Medieval Proportions.

I never complain about the summer heat. Anything that makes the ladies take off their clothes, and doesn't cost me anything, is fine by me, lol.
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    raisindot:
    The3Stogies:

I never complain about the summer heat. Anything that makes the ladies take off their clothes, and doesn't cost me anything, is fine by me, lol.

+Infinity!
  • Options

• Options
    More climate change on the way. Now they are calling for up to 5 inches of ice after raining all day which will also freeze. Got your shopping done?

Let's see:
    Booze check
    Cigars Check
    Matches Check
    Dog Food Check
    Freezer and Food Check
    Candles Check
    Batteries Charged Check
    Straw for the outside dogs Check
    Belief in weather reports We will see
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    65 degrees today, three to five inches of snow and ice tomorrow. Will be 16 degrees tomorrow night so back on with the union suit. The buds on the trees are swelling. I'm ready for spring.
  • Options
    "15.2.4.1.2.4. Ice Storms

Milder winter temperatures will decrease heavy snowstorms "

IPCC Third Assessment, 2001

"I want my money back."

Me, now.

• Options
    webmost:
    "15.2.4.1.2.4. Ice Storms

Milder winter temperatures will decrease heavy snowstorms "

IPCC Third Assessment, 2001

"I want my money back."

Me, now.

$41,856 every minute is being spent on al gore's scam.

Tags: Global Warming | climate change Scientist Confesses: "Global Warming a $22 Billion Scam"

http://www.newsmax.com/Finance/MKTNews/Global-Warming-climate-change/2014/11/17/id/607827/
  • Options
    Well, the big puddles are almost frozen to the middle, and the ice is coming down and covering the ground.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Gray4lines:
    We sure got some! Probably 5" now and still coming. Supposed to get another 5-8" today

I was actually looking forward to the first measurable snow since I have been down here. And much prefer snow over ice any day.
    8 inches in my driveway. OK, but that's enough, we can stop now.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    How you doing JD? We got blue skies and cold temps in NW Indiana. Plenty of snow on the ground. The weather is so crazy here with "Lake Effect" snow. There have been times we have had no snow and 20 miles to the east they are experiencing blizzard like conditions. Take Care and bundle up!
  • Options
    Dark Roast:
    How you doing JD? We got blue skies and cold temps in NW Indiana. Plenty of snow on the ground. The weather is so crazy here with "Lake Effect" snow. There have been times we have had no snow and 20 miles to the east they are experiencing blizzard like conditions. Take Care and bundle up!

We have had more ice/snow this winter then the total of all winters since I have lived here. Would not be so bad but the local area government is not the least bit prepared.

Good thing we stocked up on bird seed. The starlings are starting to move in and are hassling the Cardinals.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to be a scorcher today, my Wife is going to the beach to beat the heat but I'll be working so I'm thinking that I might need to stop in at my local B&M and take advantage of their A/C after work.image
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade you....

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "But it's a dry heat"...  I'll bet you get sick and tired of hearing that.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already am. The only reason we have any humidity is the greenhouse effect from California's fires :tired_face:

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...