Options

&^%$ the weather report

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    jgibv:
    holy icicles raisin!!!
    i know you guys have had a particularly brutal winter/snow this year but you best check those gutters as soon as the temps warm up ... and check that attic insulation too, could be getting ice dams.

Oh, believe me, we have Hoover-sized ice dams, as does everyone else up here. We've had one intermittent inside leak so far, and people tell us we're lucky--all the local Home Depots have run out of pails.
    whoa! that is insane brother, hope the leak shrinks in size, and doesn't get worse.

i assume it's that bad because you guys have just had soooo much snow this year? that is insane!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love that old asbestos siding, raisin. Stuff lasts forever.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    webmost:

Considering that even after being a homeowner for 20 years I know nothing about home construction or repair (except how to find people to fix things), I thank you for pointing out one of the nearly infinite number of things I don't know about my house.
  • Options
    raisindot:
    webmost:

Considering that even after being a homeowner for 20 years I know nothing about home construction or repair (except how to find people to fix things), I thank you for pointing out one of the nearly infinite number of things I don't know about my house.
    Same stuff, same baby poop color, on my house when I bought it. Had to go thru an absurd rigamarole putting it in specially labelled bags before the trash would carry it off to the same landfill as old toothpaste tubes. Pointless. Thing is, the asbestos siding lasts literally forever; but the furring strips it gets nailed to, that's what goes; then you need to replace it. Don't worry... your siding is not airborne or anything. It ain't out to get you. But it lasts way the heck longer than vinyl or anything else. That's when I had the brainstorm to put vertical cedar planks on the house front, as you see in the pic.

Man, it's bright outside today.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    raisindot:
    webmost:

Same stuff, same baby poop color, on my house when I bought it. Had to go thru an absurd rigamarole putting it in specially labelled bags before the trash would carry it off to the same landfill as old toothpaste tubes. Pointless. Thing is, the asbestos siding lasts literally forever; but the furring strips it gets nailed to, that's what goes; then you need to replace it. Don't worry... your siding is not airborne or anything. It ain't out to get you. But it lasts way the heck longer than vinyl or anything else. That's when I had the brainstorm to put vertical cedar planks on the house front, as you see in the pic.

Considering how much mold has probably been building up inside the walls these past few winters from ice dam seepage, the asbestos risk barely registers on my scare-o-meter. Besides, my high school was infamous for being built with asbestos literally a year before it was outlawed; it took the city years and $millions to do an incompetent job of getting rid of it, and you could still see bits of it exposed when ceiling panels inevitably fell off. Thirty years later, I haven't heard of that many of my classmates getting lung cancer, so I'm a little bit jaded about the risks (especially since I've been in working environments far more dangerous since that time).
  • Options
    I want my money back. One degree this morning on the ride to work. I want my money back. All of it. Every dime wasted on Volts and Fiskers, all the subsidies for tilting windmills and solar panels, all the studies producing rigged numbers, from the U of East A, to shiploads of scientists sent to Antarctica only to get trapped by the ice floes they went to document the disappearance of, to expense accounts of delegates to climate apocalypse conferences, to middle school science fair projects, to the recent NASA whistleblower cooking the books for the State of the Union. Even carbon taxes; yes, all the way down to the bucks we blew crushing klunkers (there's a brilliant idea to help a struggling economy -- let's destroy things of value and ensure poor people can't get to work). Greenpeace can shove it where the sun don't shine. Al Gore needs to sell his private island now. If the first word in global warming is global, as I believe it is, and the second word is, plainly, warming, then I want my **** money back, and I don't care what your definition of is is.

That's not flat earthers; that's the thermometer.

It's freaking cold out there.

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I want my money back. One degree this morning on the ride to work. I want my money back. All of it. Every dime wasted on Volts and Fiskers, all the subsidies for tilting windmills and solar panels, all the studies producing rigged numbers, from the U of East A, to shiploads of scientists sent to Antarctica only to get trapped by the ice floes they went to document the disappearance of, to expense accounts of delegates to climate apocalypse conferences, to middle school science fair projects, to the recent NASA whistleblower cooking the books for the State of the Union. Even carbon taxes; yes, all the way down to the bucks we blew crushing klunkers (there's a brilliant idea to help a struggling economy -- let's destroy things of value and ensure poor people can't get to work). Greenpeace can shove it where the sun don't shine. Al Gore needs to sell his private island now. If the first word in global warming is global, as I believe it is, and the second word is, plainly, warming, then I want my **** money back, and I don't care what your definition of is is.

+1000!
  • Options
    webmost:

Looking at my ski-slope roof and at the thermometer that hasn't gone above 25 degrees in nearly 70 days, it certainly feels that way. However, according to NOAA, globally, January 2015 was the second warmest January on record, and the overall January temperatures in the U.S. were higher than normal, and the amount of contiguous snowfall across the U.S. and North America was well below normal.

While we've been freezing our keisters on this side of the country, the folks in the west have been experiencing record high warmth and increasing droughts.

It will, however, be interesting to see the February results, since most of this s**t happened post Super Bowl....
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:

You can't have your money back. That fraud gore uses it to pay his electric bill.

It is amazing how some "people" have been taken in and how many of the "scientists" that pushed the nonsense have been caught, and admitted, they cooked the books.
  • Options
    webmost:

You can't have your money back. That fraud gore uses it to pay his electric bill.

It is amazing how some "people" have been taken in and how many of the "scientists" that pushed the nonsense have been caught, and admitted, they cooked the books.

Oh h3ll, it just started snowing.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Looking at my ski-slope roof and at the thermometer that hasn't gone above 25 degrees in nearly 70 days, it certainly feels that way. However, according to NOAA, globally, January 2015 was the second warmest January on record, and the overall January temperatures in the U.S. were higher than normal, and the amount of contiguous snowfall across the U.S. and North America was well below normal.

While we've been freezing our keisters on this side of the country, the folks in the west have been experiencing record high warmth and increasing droughts.

It will, however, be interesting to see the February results, since most of this s**t happened post Super Bowl....
    .....the weather gods are obviously seahawks fans
    must've had some $$$ riding on the game too....

they are obviously sending all this snow and cold to get revenge on pretty boy brady and belicheater for winning
    just look at the weather report, it's 50 degrees in seatlle today FFS.

can't argue with that logic.

(you gotta admit my theory at least makes more sense than the "it's snowing outside so climate change isn't real argument" lol)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    .....the weather gods are obviously seahawks fans
    must've had some $$$ riding on the game too....

they are obviously sending all this snow and cold to get revenge on pretty boy brady and belicheater for winning
    just look at the weather report, it's 50 degrees in seatlle today FFS.

can't argue with that logic.

(you gotta admit my theory at least makes more sense than the "it's snowing outside so climate change isn't real argument" lol)

'Strue. Then again, in six months (hopefully) all this snow and cold will be gone and a bad memory. But the Pats will still have their 2014 Super Bowl trophy to put next to the other three, along with the skeleton of the crow that Gooddell and company will have eaten after it becomes evident there's a thousand times more evidence supporting global climate change than there ever was for the veracity of "Inflategate." :)
  • Options
    Hey, I'm ready to compromise. I'm no knucklehead. Here's how I see it: We're already a couple years past the date both ice caps were predicted to disappear. Manhattan is not drowned (tho I wouldn't necessarily object to that). The beach is not at my front door (tho Bearswatter wouldn't object to that). We ain't fried yet. We ain't starved. Polar bears are still killing seals. Face it, Chicken Little was blowin smoke. In which case, I think a compromise would be appropriate, don't you?

Here is what I propose:

Give me my money back for now. If and when things ever look like they are going to get dire, we'll discuss. Meanwhile, keep your hand outta my pocket, and I'll keep mine outta yours.

Sound fair?
    Or do you have a better idea?

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    So much stupid in this thread lol "global warming isn't happening because I saw a snowflake omg wah wah money grubbing govt and scientists"
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    So much stupid in this thread lol "global warming isn't happening because I saw a snowflake omg wah wah money grubbing govt and scientists"
    Fat, drunk and (calling people) stupid is no way to go through life, son.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I like watching the kids walk on top of the ice crusted snow. Reminds me of my yoodth.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    No_one21:
    Hey, I'm not your son :p
  • Options
    Its raining (I guess its global warming) and it is not melting the ice because it is sooooooooo frozen. But it is turning everything into a glass smooth skating rink. With the temperature drop tonight it is gonna be a whole lot of fun getting around tomorrow.

And the ice has got under the roof shingles and we have more leaks. Any one got $10,000 to spare for a new roof.
  • Options
    No_one21:
    Bob Luken:
    No_one21:
    Hey, I'm not your son :p
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Like how they have taken to naming these things like hurricane's, maybe helps the ratings. Think the current one is Neptune isn't it?
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    Like how they have taken to naming these things like hurricane's, maybe helps the ratings. Think the current one is Neptune isn't it?
    The Weather Channel is the only ones behind naming winter storms. It's a relatively new practice. It's not official. Anybody could name them anything they want. Your local news meteorologist has just as much authority to name them something different. I have as much authority. I'll go ahead and name this last one here in the south, Satan's Popsicle up your @$$.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    The3Stogies:
    The Weather Channel is the only ones behind naming winter storms. It's a relatively new practice. It's not official. Anybody could name them anything they want. Your local news meteorologist has just as much authority to name them something different. I have as much authority. I'll go ahead and name this last one here in the south, Satan's Popsicle up your @$$.
    Ah, The Weather Channel, I thought it was NOAA doing this. Even our local channels are now calling them by the same names up here.

One thing I think of during this snowy/cold winter is how they survived this crap back in the old days. More importantly why, in the name of Satan's Popsicle, would any one settle and stay here?
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Got one for this thread, 28 out, sleet coming down, and the entire DFW metroplex is SHUTDOWN, this cracks me up, sorry all my Northern BOTLs. The local news crew even has a THUNDER TRUCK to drive around and look at the sleet on the road HILARIOUS
    photo thunder-truck4_zpsylul1d2l.jpg
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    One thing I think of during this snowy/cold winter is how they survived this crap back in the old days. More importantly why, in the name of Satan's Popsicle, would any one settle and stay here?

I ask myself the same G-D question every single day of every single winter. And my answer is that I would move the hell out of here to a warmer area of the country in a NY minute, but the missus doesn't want to leave.

After another 5 inch snowstorm on Saturday, the sun actually appeared and heated my town up to 48 degrees, the first time it's cracked 35 since Christmas. I lit up my first stogie of 2015 (a Hemingway Short Story, if you want to know--I didn't have a lot of time) and took a walk around the neighborhood, watching people desperately try to clear the ice dams and snow drifts from their roofs (I'd already spent hours doing this myself. I deserved the break).

Today back down to 21 degrees and blustery winds and more snow expected Wednesday.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i used to love winter because it mean cold temps and snow days. This winter i am **** tired of it. We are getting the frigid temps, but not the snow. The damn change in the jet stream along with the the way the storms are lining up = virtually no snow for us but weeks of temps below 30.

i am just ready for the winter to be over now.
  • Options
    The PO delivered today and flat rates have gone out.......YAHOO

But, UPS has 4 more packages in Trenton (20 miles away) and I am betting they will be handed off to the PO.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    The PO delivered today and flat rates have gone out.......YAHOO

But, UPS has 4 more packages in Trenton (20 miles away) and I am betting they will be handed off to the PO.

With UPS's track record, you might get them around April... ??
  • Options
    Just paid for a tank of heating oil ... five Franklins and a Grant. Tell you, it would be a lot easier to pay for this cold if we could get back the money we blew fighting the warm that never happened. Thawed out yesterday just long enough to make ice. Temps taking another nose dive now. I want some gorebull warbling. I paid for it. I was promised it. I want it now.

Here's an odd thought: You know that ore freighter stuck in ice on Lake Erie? The hell's that ship doing out on the lake this time of year, in this weather? What were they thinking?

Oddest part of that story, the Coast Guard ship that went out to bust them free (which then got stuck in the ice itself) they ran out of food and had to get supplies airlifted. The hell were they thinking? You're gonna take your ship out in winter busting ice, dude, fill the pantry. Hot chocolate at the very least. Fundamental.

In Philly today they tore down an icicle building. Had a fire, water from the fire hoses froze on it, big pile of icicles. Had to tear it down.

Average high here 45; today's high 27; low 3. I want my money back.

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    68 high and 41 low today. Its also another year of almost no rainfall. Not everyone is having your experience. It's also more apt to be called climate change versus global warming.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    46 yesterday so we had a big melt. 28 now and freezing rain. Wood pile is shrunking. Getting tired of long johns. Six more weeks.