Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

An Open Letter to Rocky Patel: a story of why I will NEVER touch another RP branded cigar in my life

Comments

• Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Nish was just expected to work in the Family business. Maybe he would rather be making pizza or selling coffee. Obviously he is burnt out on cigars. Not to even give a *** about what he is giving out speaks volumes!
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HTF LE RP butt beads ashtrays. Half off at my bnm. Let me know if you're interested.
    photo 20150321_113857.jpg
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    HTF LE RP butt beads ashtrays. Half off at my bnm. Let me know if you're interested.
    Lol! Why only get **** by RP cigars when the ashtrays will do it too??
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    danielzreyes:
    Lol! Why only get **** by RP cigars when the ashtrays will do it too??
    Classic!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    Just read on HW that RP is getting ready to have a price increase, lol
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C-LOVE:
    Just read on HW that RP is getting ready to have a price increase, lol
    guess they gotta pay for that "Rocky Patel lifestyle" somehow.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    photo nished.jpg
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started smoking cigars I picked up a decade and really enjoyed and still do occasionally, but everything else they put out has been lackluster at best. I hate it when people treat anyone like that, especially when they are trying to sell you something. I doubt I will pick up another Patel after I finish the decades I have left.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anybody had the Fusions that are on the daily deal? They look so good and I am hoping you guys might have a good word for them!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I remember a long time ago a member here, I think it was Alfred, had a problem with a Padilla cigar, Ernesto himself created a profile responded to the thread and even sent free cigars to Alfred to rectify the situation. I've seem Drew Estates and other companies do practically the same thing to help out a customer, the fact that Rocky nor anyone who represents his company has replied to this thread just goes to show the lack of care he has.
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    I remember a long time ago a member here, I think it was Alfred, had a problem with a Padilla cigar, Ernesto himself created a profile responded to the thread and even sent free cigars to Alfred to rectify the situation. I've seem Drew Estates and other companies do practically the same thing to help out a customer, the fact that Rocky nor anyone who represents his company has replied to this thread just goes to show the lack of care he has.
    Good points there, Hayblet.

But when it's the Exec VP acting like that, who's going to step up and call him out on it?
    One of his relatives who's higher up in the company, like Rocky himself?
    Not gonna hold my breath.

I shared the original post/"letter" on social media and have seen a few responses from other folks who have dealt with Nish that more or less said:
    "That sounds like Nish, doesn't surprise me at all he acted like that."
    So take that for what it's worth.

Not gonna lose sleep over it but will definitely continue to share this experience when the topic of RP comes up and try to get BOTLs to steer clear of the RP brand.

Like you mentioned there's lots of other companies out there who have better relationships with their customers so why support someone who acts like this.
    Perhaps Nish is just the "bad apple" at RP ..... but hey one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooooo, this happened today. . .

You were thinking about this thread the whole time, I'd bet.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

You were thinking about this thread the whole time, I'd bet.
    Absolutely! That's why I'm grinning so big in the shot.

The whole time I was there I was trying not to laugh because of all the ccom jokes / memes. And also because it was $15 for a Decade. 

GNS!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jj20030 said:
    +1 LOL for blazing saddles

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Good for you!!
    Without going into detail, let me say I had a similar experience at his cigar bar in Naples, FL. Afterward, I too swore off RP products forever. I consider him nothing but a jobber who basks in the hype he created. 
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jgibv They have your favorite smokes on the weekend blitz for you!  Killer deal too http://www.cigar.com/promotions/weekend-blitz/
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    @jgibv They have your favorite smokes on the weekend blitz for you!  Killer deal too http://www.cigar.com/promotions/weekend-blitz/

^^^^^^^
    comedian, lol

:flipping-the-bird emoji: 

i would sooo buy that sampler and bomb your a$$ with it (elmo style) if it didn't mean giving those effers money

• Options
    keithpriestkeithpriest Posts: 3
    That's all that I needed to know about RP, I'll pass on anything that they offer from this point on. Thank you for the heads up my friend.
    Keith D.
  • Options
    havanaal said:
    Good for you!!
    Without going into detail, let me say I had a similar experience at his cigar bar in Naples, FL. Afterward, I too swore off RP products forever. I consider him nothing but a jobber who basks in the hype he created. 
    thanks for reading @havanaal and i've heard that from other people as well.

i get the impression this wasn't a one-off experience -- instead it sounds like Nish is just full of hot air 24/7.

like i've said before, plenty of other brands out there and better companies to deal with -- a reason why RP will no longer get my business.

• Options
    Like Nish, I want to be like Nish. (Awesome Nish)
    #sammichgameonpointson
  • Options
    brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    Woof. I don' like the sound of this story. Though to be honest, I've had a couple of their higher rated cigars and they were pretty drek. I'm gonna join your little boycott. Maybe we should ignore Cigar Aficionado ratings as well.
  • Options

Smoked my 1st Rocky Patel cigar about ten years ago. It was the long since discontinued Indian Tabac brand, either the Teepee or Buffalo model. Am relieved to know they're no longer on the market. One of the worst cigars I ever smoked and vowed at the time never to smoke another RP.

But a local smoke shop hosted a RP event recently so I sprung for a '99 vintage CT. wrapper Robusto since I'm partial to lighter blends. For an $8 cigar it was just so-so but nothing special. A maker like RP who's made his bones from marketing a long line of med-full to full-bodied cigars, it's simply not going to produce a really good mild-medium smoke in my opinion. That cigar confirmed that opinion.

Make me a co-signer of the open letter to Rocky Patel, brother Nish, and company.  Count me out as a future attend any at RP events.

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Some of the ol timers on here know I was a huge RP fan back in the day (2008,09 etc) but since have stopped buying his sticks. It seems to me that the cigar blends all seem to taste pretty much the same and his prices have gone up. It used to be the OWR used to be his most expensive cigar, now most of his stuff is avg $10 a stick. No thanks. I think he also made it to where online vendors couldn't have online discounts for his major lines. Like alot of my friends, I'm done with RP. I have moved on to better and cheaper sticks. AJ anyone?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bigsmoke78Bigsmoke78 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    The edge is really terrible