Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The BEST ever

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was my second year in college, we were both crazy stressed out studying for finals.  She wanted to take a brake so she started taking off her ........... wait .... this a coffee thread? 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Hahaha!  Nice one, @danielzreyes...  please finish that story - it deserves it's own thread.

@MikeTodd - if you don't notice a huge improvement running my beans through your Keurig, then I may as well take down my shingle and start selling apples downtown.

I get the whole Keurig thing, being a lazy person myself - they're all about convenience, and they're good at providing convenience... good at providing great coffee?... not so sure about that.  I've used them for hot apple cider, etc., and liked that aspect of them.  Thing is the convenience of the Keurig comes at a price; the cost of one of those little 'pods' is roughly the same as what a cup of my coffee costs. 

The nice thing about a manual brewing method, like french press, pourover, etc. (I use a press pot every day, but really like the http://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dripper-Large-Ounces/dp/B00EOM5RN0 Clever Coffee Dripper too) is that with manual brewing you get better control over the three brewing parameters below;

1) uniform particle size - this is where burr grinders excel, because the coffee passes through the grinder once, as opposed to a blade grinder where it gets chopped over and over, and particle size is not uniform.

2) water temp - the universally adopted range for proper extraction is 195-205 degrees; very few coffee makers reach that high.

3) time of contact between water and coffee particles - finer particles = less time vs. larger particles = more time.

So you can get fresh, properly-roasted coffee, and monkey around with the basket on a Keurig, but still not have numbers 2 & 3 correct.  And I don't know why someone would go through all the grinding and filling of the basket, when a press pot or Clever is just as easy.  If you want just one cup, there are better ways of getting it.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you suggest for French press? I like it strong baby!
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not know you roasted your own coffee. I will definitely be grabbing some! I have been out of good beans for awhile and got lazy with the keurig.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I encourage people to pick up a cheap pocket scale - under $10 anywhere online - and weigh the beans.  It's impossible to get consistent results using scoops/measuring spoons, in part because beans vary so much in size and density.  A scoop of dense Kenya for example can weigh 12.5 grams and a scoop of Brazil might be only 9.5.

So, I measure the water before it goes in the kettle, and double the number of ounces to get the grams of coffee.  Usually it's 14oz. water and 28g of beans.

And if anyone's looking for a great value in a very good grinder, take a look at the Baratza Encore; https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/baratza/encore .  People balk at the cost, but it's the same as a box of sticks, and it'll be around a lot longer than those Laranja's.  :smile:  Not only that, it'll make a discernible difference in every cup, especially compared to a blade grinder.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    What do you suggest for French press? I like it strong baby!
    That's what she said
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I encourage people to pick up a cheap pocket scale - under $10 anywhere online - and weigh the beans.  It's impossible to get consistent results using scoops/measuring spoons, in part because beans vary so much in size and density.  A scoop of dense Kenya for example can weigh 12.5 grams and a scoop of Brazil might be only 9.5.

So, I measure the water before it goes in the kettle, and double the number of ounces to get the grams of coffee.  Usually it's 14oz. water and 28g of beans.

And if anyone's looking for a great value in a very good grinder, take a look at the Baratza Encore; https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/baratza/encore .  People balk at the cost, but it's the same as a box of sticks, and it'll be around a lot longer than those Laranja's.  :smile:  Not only that, it'll make a discernible difference in every cup, especially compared to a blade grinder.
    I use an Aeropress on the weekend but hate my grinder so I thank you for the recommendation above. Doesn't seem unreasonable in cost to get a consistent and proper grind.
  • Options
    That, and Baratza's customer service is great.  If/when one of their grinders breaks, you can get an actual person on the other end of the phone to walk you through fixing it, along with very good videos on their site to help visualize what they're saying.

I bought a used Baratza Virtuoso on craigslist a while back - $240 new, $60 for me - and it stopped working soon thereafter.  I called them up, explained it was bought used on CL, and the service rep told me to take the cover off - held the line while I did so - and then asked what color the capacitor on the circuit board was.  When I told him green, he said, "Yeah, that's a model from '08, you need the new design of the burr carrier.  We'll get one out to you today."  No charge, not even for the postage.  Can't beat that with a stick, even if the stick is a vintage Opus X :smile:.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you use for a french press or what would you recommend and what do you use to achieve your desired water temp
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    What do you use for a french press or what would you recommend and what do you use to achieve your desired water temp
    Brad,
    I use an Aeropress, you can find it on Amazon, also lots of You Tube videos on it. It easy and convenient and best of all so easy to clean up. 

I use use a digital thermometer and boil water to 195 - 205. 

PS I am a bit concerned about your "location".............. 
  • Options
    WHATTTT?  Hi!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    WHATTTT?  Hi!
    This does not help the paranoia. I shall go have a beer now.

Better yet, to get the topic back on track, I'm going to make myself a PHENOMENAL cup of coffee.
  • Options
    Do you need some cheese curds?  I am making a run tomorrow.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    avengethis said:0
    Do you need some cheese curds?  I am making a run tomorrow.
    PM to you. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Well my coffee came today with a bonus! Thank you @peter4jc for the sticks! I have been wanting to try the Kentucky Fire Cured stick for some time now!

On another note just has some decaf after dinner and it was delicious! 
    Can wait for the flavor to fully peak and have a cup!

The coffee came just in time as I start another semester of college on Monday!

How do make this text turn upside down?
  • Options
    Cheers, Phil!

I do enjoy turning them green beans brown, and thank you for the opportunity to do so.  That little Nat Sherman will go good with a cup of the Guatemala in the morning.  The Ambos Mundos is a great stick at its price point too.  I hope you enjoy!
  • Options
    CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I smoked and drank it all!  I have to admit, I am addicted to the coffee! I ordered another 2 pounds!

Just a side story:

So midday today I was getting tired at college and went to a Dunkin Donuts. Ordered a coffee, but could NOT absolutely drink it. Tasted like diesel! So I ordered another one. Same diesel taste and then it dawned on me how bad the coffee is at DD. Thank you
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • Options
    Sorry about that, Chief!

I shoulda warned you.
  • Options
    ChazMNChazMN Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Hey Peter, now that I've read this thread and the reviews I would like to experience your coffee.  :)

My wife does the cold brew , prefers medium-ish roasts and can't stand bitter tastes. 
    I like strong coffee and can handle bitter but don't care for any "burnt" notes. 

I would like to order a pound of each of your recommendations. 

Thanks, Chaz.
  • Options
    ChazMN said:
    Hey Peter, now that I've read this thread and the reviews I would like to experience your coffee.  :)

My wife does the cold brew , prefers medium-ish roasts and can't stand bitter tastes. 
    I like strong coffee and can handle bitter but don't care for any "burnt" notes. 

Thanks, Chaz.
    Chaz, visit theexcellentcup.com
    it will give you some insight on his coffee
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    ChazMNChazMN Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    ChazMN said:

Thanks, Chaz.
    Oh I did peruse the site and even drooled a little. :) Just hoping for the professionals opinion so I won't have to guess at what to get. 
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like surprises, so I signed up for the coffee of the month roaster's choice.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChazMN said:
    Usaf06 said:
    ChazMN said:

Thanks, Chaz.
    Oh I did peruse the site and even drooled a little. :) Just hoping for the professionals opinion so I won't have to guess at what to get. 
    Get roaster choice he'LL make ya a good batch.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    The lads at the Chicago herf got the El Salvador Lagunas Las Ranas Honey, and it was well received.  I'd start there, for both cold brew and regular.  The Flores is good too, for both... not bitter, and definitely not burnt.  I have a couple darker roasts, but like you I hate burnt (hence the nickname Charbucks for *$), so you should be good with any of them.  Select the Roaster's Choice, and it'll save you a couple bucks.
  • Options
    @peter4jc do you have a recommendation on a manual burr grinder?  I just cant drop the coin on an entry electric one but figured if I went with manual it would get me by for awhile until I can.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    There are a few good models, Hario Skerton is the first one that comes to mind.  But since you're asking a lazy guy, you're asking the wrong guy.  It takes a lot of dedication to grind manually - they're usually slow, say a minute or two for a cup or two, and who wants to turn that crank for that long.(no snickers from the peanut gallery, please)  A minute doesn't sound that long, but it gets old fast.  And let's say you drop $40 on a great hand grinder... when you scrape up $125 for the http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00LW8122Y unless you can use the hand grinder for camping or your hunting cabin doesn't have electricity, you'll have a $40 paperweight.
  • Options
    Well I need something besides the cheap blade grinder I have and with this stupid cruise later this month I can't drop anymore. It's just an option in looking into. I like fresh coffee camping too so a hand is not a bad investment.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    Stupid cruise??? Stay frozen in Wisconsin if you'd like. Cruising is the way to go
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    I don't like that my brother in law chose to go on a cruise for their wedding and if we want to be there we have to go on a cruise. If I wanted to go on a vacation a cruise would not be my choice. It's costing a ton of money that I could use elsewhere but it is what it is.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!