Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The BEST ever

13»

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They aren't cheap that's for sure
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have preferred taking my kids on a trip somewhere. It is what it is, I get a vacation with chalupa to some warmer weather.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    I don't like that my brother in law chose to go on a cruise for their wedding and if we want to be there we have to go on a cruise. If I wanted to go on a vacation a cruise would not be my choice. It's costing a ton of money that I could use elsewhere but it is what it is.
    I usually thought it was proper wedding etiquette to buy people plane tickets/cruise tickets/taxi service/etc. to a wedding. I know, when I was a best man for my college friend, he rented two small airliners (737 or 727, i think) for us to get there and paid for 1/2 the cost for a mediocre hotel. The Maldives was a place where I always wanted to vacation, but since he bought me a ticket/bungalow for the wedding i wasn't complaining!  (bungalows were for close friends/family) 

Also, not to sound cheap, but if the cost of the ticket is over $1000 I would take it up with your brother-in-law. If it is over 1k, that is a a pretty big unplanned financial burden, especially if you don't want to go. No offense to your or your family, avengethis, but I would want to spend 1k differently, than be forced to buy a cruise.

In my mind, if they can't afford the transportation to the location, they should not have the wedding there. Just my two cents.
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like that my brother in law chose to go on a cruise for their wedding and if we want to be there we have to go on a cruise. If I wanted to go on a vacation a cruise would not be my choice. It's costing a ton of money that I could use elsewhere but it is what it is.
    I usually thought it was proper wedding etiquette to buy people plane tickets/cruise tickets/taxi service/etc. to a wedding. I know, when I was a best man for my college friend, he rented two small airliners (737 or 727, i think) for us to get there and paid for 1/2 the cost for a mediocre hotel. The Maldives was a place where I always wanted to vacation, but since he bought me a ticket/bungalow for the wedding i wasn't complaining!  (bungalows were for close friends/family) 

Also, not to sound cheap, but if the cost of the ticket is over $1000 I would take it up with your brother-in-law. If it is over 1k, that is a a pretty big unplanned financial burden, especially if you don't want to go. No offense to your or your family, avengethis, but I would want to spend 1k differently, than be forced to buy a cruise.

In my mind, if they can't afford the transportation to the location, they should not have the wedding there. Just my two cents.
    Double edged sword with in laws and outlaws. I did a Hawaii trip for a wedding. The expense was a burden. I didn't hear sh!nola from the Mrs for years about me not doing my part so all in all worked out. And I got a great week for a half day obligation.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    We will be into for about $3,000 after flights, hotel, cruise, dog care, food and drinks on the cruise. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear.. I guess some people think everyone likes to go on cruises. I personally have no ambition to go on a cruise and have passed on 2 of them with zero money out of my pocket. 

3 grand would go a long way for a family get away. Does not surprise  me you would rather do things with your children. I do not get the whole big lavish weddings thing anyway. Sounds like to me they are pretty selfish. 
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best ever is an understatement!!  I can't get enough of this stuff. 

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best ever.  Just got 2 pounds in the mail from Peter yesterday.

Clever Dripper, digital scale and an electric kettle.  

Easy Peasey and phenomenal coffee.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Stupid cruise??? Stay frozen in Wisconsin if you'd like. Cruising is the way to go
    In my experience, cruising sucks swamp water. Little by little, the cruise lines are doing away with cigar lounges and those that remain are being degraded into noisy disco-like joints where you can't hear yourself think. I've spent hours with a travel agent trying to find available cruises that are suitable to my needs and which have nice, quiet cigar lounges. Forget it. 

I enjoyed cruises in years past but that was before I got into cigars. Sadly, those days are over. 

Okay, end of rant. Carry on, troops.....  >:)
  • Options
    @peter4jc hooked me up with 2 different coffees last night when we got together. Today I ran the Guatemalan through the French press. This could be my favorite one so far. Such a clean citrus taste that was great with my eggs and bacon breakfast.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have you under my spell!   BWAHAHA!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Placed my order on VHerf on Friday night - shipped yesterday. That is service!
  • Options
    Oneisnone said:
    Placed my order on VHerf on Friday night - shipped yesterday. That is service!
    Just trying to do what I can to keep you on good terms with Mrs.Oneisnone.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    @peter4jc whats your opinion on decaf coffees i went caffeine free-ish in January but now i realized how much i drank coffee with my sticks, can you get the same taste with a decaf bean or what ever voodo they do? 
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    With a lot of decafs, you can "taste" the process they use to decaffeinate the beans - it generally manifests itself as a paper/cardboard flavor - and I won't stock one unless it doesn't have that.  With that said however, the process is rather brutal on the beans, and it's rare that you can find one that will truly mimic what it was before they took the caffeine out.

I understand there are some legitimate reasons to drop caffeine, but maybe a half-caff cup would work just as well.  I've had a very nice Ethiopian Sidamo decaf for a while now, and get good feedback on it.  I just sent some to @silvermouse today... maybe he'll chime in once he has a chance to brew some up.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Peter said, there's some good decafs, I have some that I used to give to my MIL and also would use to pull espresso at night.  Because the decaf beans have been beat up so hard in the processing they tend to go stale, lose their flavor, faster than regular coffees.

I keep some decaf in mason jars in the freezer just in case.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

I understand there are some legitimate reasons to drop caffeine, but maybe a half-caff cup would work just as well.  I've had a very nice Ethiopian Sidamo decaf for a while now, and get good feedback on it.  I just sent some to @silvermouse today... maybe he'll chime in once he has a chance to brew some up.

Best decaf I've ever tasted, brewed some this morning 50/50 with some of his Guatamalan. But Peter is asking for trouble--a few bodyguards fell into the shipping container when he was packing up my order.
  • Options
    That's not enticement, Edward... that's customer service.  Don't get any ideas.