Home General Discussion

New to the forum

GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
Hi guys,

I'm new to the cigar forum and wanted to say hi.  My name is GrouchoM and I'm from Texas. I've been smoking cigars for 3 mths and have a small tupidor of sticks.  As a new cigar smoker, I'm still figuring out what I like palate-wise.  I started wit Factory throwouts because they were inexpensive and have worked up recently to C&C toro maduro (which have a lot of flavor).  I'm an unemployed student who was introduce to cigars by a buddy, but only got serious recently after having one on New Year.  The brands I've smoked so far are nothing to write home about: Brioso, Bacarract, Sancho Panza, National, Cuban Seed, Casa de Bella and Punch.

Look forward to learning more about cigars and meeting more cigar lovers.

-G
The secret word is cigars! 

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, @GrouchoM. Hope you stick around and get to know a bunch of us. You'll learn a lot about cigars and generosity. Better start thinking about a larger humidor or a coolidor....  B)
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the kind greeting. but, why would I need a large humidor or what was it coolidor?
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and make sure you search the forum. Lots and lots of info on here. Also make sure you subscribe to the newsletter that several of our members send out. Lots of great info on it there :)

Welcome and enjoy!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @GrouchoM
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum groucho. Great group of people.  Stick around, ask questions, lots of good info here.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard... Great group of guys hang around this place. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and strap in
    @genareddog the secret phrase is "bring it!" Ha ha!
    @jlmarta Thanks for the warm greeting. I plan on being her a while and contributing to tbe mutual generosity, as well as being open-minded to learning more about cigars. Sadly, my humi is a tupidor so far (see photo) but from acorns mighty oaks grow...baby steps.
    @WaterNerd
    Thanks, will do. Please keep the good advice comming.
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! This place is a lot of fun and very informative. Many of us were in the same boat as you when we first got into cigars. With still being a student I would definitely research coolidors as they are the cheapest way to store more cigars. 
  • ChazMNChazMN Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Welcome!  I also joined the forum when i got serious about cigars but didn't know squat. lol  The people here have been spot on with anything I needed or wanted to know. Great group of people, you won't find a nicer bunch!
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning! and welcome to a great place! 

The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Tex. What cigar influenced you on new year's eve?  How much were you drinking? And describe what you liked about it. This might give us old newbies an idea of what to recommend you try next. 
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum,stick around and glean all the great info from all the old timmers on here.lots of great people on this forum.
    Non Crux sed lux
    edited March 2016
    Thanks @Bob_Luken Great questions. Let me see, I had just been released from Folsom prison, dressed in all black and had my trusty guitar. I was naturally celebrating and was smoking a Factory Throwout #99 with Johnny Walker black label and ginger ale.

I liked the size (a churchill I think) and that as a Connecticut it was a uncomplicated smoke (but very interested in maduros now). I had 3 glasses of JWB. Enjoyed the calmness, time to myself looking up at the stars (80% of my smoking done at night outside, w 50% having a adult beverage). I enjoyed the thick smoke plumes and the long filler not causing it to be a quick smoke. I enjoyed it paired ok w alcohol. I also enjoyed the price ($1.49 @ my B&M). The smell was uncomplicated and the flavors while nothing to write home about was good for a newbie palate. Can't say much else since it was just three mths ago, but I hope I answered your question.
    @Wylaff @ChazMN @Big"nBall"n
    Happy to be aboard.
    edited March 2016
    @Puff_Dougie @bert873

Youre the 2nd & 3rd persons to mentioned the cooler thing. Someone sent my buddy a photo of a cooler that he picked up at Target on sale. My buddy replied all "I see is an empty cooler". Puzzled, he said I should look into it, but never explained. I'm confused since I'm rocking a sandwich sized tupidor currently. What gives?  Am I missing the joke or something? 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't take long for CAS to set it. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    CAS?
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the damndest thing 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have CAS now you will soon. Forget the humidor and just buy a cooler. Best and cheapest humi you will find. You might ask @puff_dougie to show some of his pictures of his coolidor?
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have CAS now you will soon. Forget the humidor and just buy a cooler. Best and cheapest humi you will find. You might ask @puff_dougie to show some of his pictures of his coolidor?
    Funny man! Hahahaa!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrouchoM said:
     but, why would I need a large humidor 
    It's called the Shizz effect. 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    @peter4jc
    Got it,  ha ha! I smoke about every other day, even with $2 and under smokes (no budget for $4 and under or $4 and above so far).

Not married,  but understood. Say, can you possibly show me an example of what you mean? It appears the mob has gently requested I ask.