Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”
    ― Frédéric Bastiat

I didn’t take you for a liberal.....

"Under extraordinary circumstances, for urgent cases, the State should set aside some resources to assist certain unfortunate people, to help them adjust to changing conditions"
    Frédéric Bastiat

This sounds like what welfare was supposed to be.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Tax rate for individuals is higher than corporate

Post edited by d_blades on

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

Welfare wasn’t ever designed to be a permanent income solution. The Brits have that, along with a LOT of other “free” handouts like health care & housing, and it has evolved into a “gimme” society. Why work if Betty’s gonna give you a place to live, pay you, and take care if you? Zero incentive. Wait for it here.....

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options

@Trykflyr_1 said:

@Vision said:

Welfare wasn’t ever designed to be a permanent income solution. The Brits have that, along with a LOT of other “free” handouts like health care & housing, and it has evolved into a “gimme” society. Why work if Betty’s gonna give you a place to live, pay you, and take care if you? Zero incentive. Wait for it here.....

So you agree with the quote?

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

The **** government is going to pander to the lowest common denominator to get the votes it needs to stay in power, common sense be damned.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@Vision said:

@Trykflyr_1 said:

@Vision said:

So you agree with the quote?

To a point. Assistance should be precisely that. Assistance. Not a form of subsistence.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

"Republicans ramp up attacks on corporations over Georgia voting law, threaten ‘consequences’"

gee, what are they gonna do, go along with the Dems and vote to raise the corporate tax rate up to what low income humans have to pay?

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

because he is famous?

Tiger Woods was driving about 40 m.p.h. over the speed limit when he crashed his car in February, according to the Los Angeles County sheriff.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2021 1:14 PM EST

Woods was not cited for driving too fast and no criminal charges will be filed, Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    because he is famous?

Tiger Woods was driving about 40 m.p.h. over the speed limit when he crashed his car in February, according to the Los Angeles County sheriff.

Woods was not cited for driving too fast and no criminal charges will be filed, Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.

The same sheriff who would deny you your right to own and carry guns.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

533,000,000 facebook users data posted on line for free... before Facebook had a chance to sell the data! What a rip!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-03/facebook-data-on-533-million-users-leaked-business-insider

Course, nuthin beats the Equifax hack:
    https://www.csoonline.com/article/3444488/equifax-data-breach-faq-what-happened-who-was-affected-what-was-the-impact.html

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

death penalty for stealing a car?

Two people are dead after being shot by an off-duty police officer in a condo parking lot in Takoma Park, Maryland early Wednesday morning, police said.

• Options

Must have been a nice car.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    because he is famous?

I was shocked to see hauled out Tiger, all Oxy'd up on the TV giving an interview before the trophy presentation. His face was red, eyes glazed up, slurring words and what does he go and do...plows off a cliff. I think he finally learned his DWI lesson sadly.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

United Airlines has announced a new diversity initiative intended to guarantee that 8 years from now, fully half of their new pilots will be women and people of color. So far, there is no word on how many will be illegal aliens, LGBTQ+ (who will naturally fly biplanes), or Uber drivers looking for a side gig.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

@silvermouse said:
    death penalty for stealing a car?

Two people are dead after being shot by an off-duty police officer in a condo parking lot in Takoma Park, Maryland early Wednesday morning, police said.

I had to think on this awhile. I was conflicted. While it's true that the thieves were stealing a portion of the car-owners life, the time and effort that was put into earning the money, it seems terrible that they lose their life over "just a car". However, calling this a "death penalty"? It seems wrong terminology. While there is actually a history of imposed penalties like this, eg. steal a horse? get hanged, to call this "death penalty" seems improper.

My questions would be as follows:

Did the officer, off-duty or not, give notice to the perpetrators of the crime? In other words, did he state clearly "Stop or I'll shoot."?

If so, was the message received, or could have been reasonably expected to have been received by the perpetrators of the crime? It makes a difference whether or not they were outside the vehicle and should have heard the warning, or were inside already, assuming they were driving it away and not loading it on a roll-off truck.

If they were able to hear the warning, and chose NOT to cease and desist, then I feel bad for their families, and for the officer whose hand they forced with their actions. They made a choice to die rather than to give up their ill-gotten prize.

Suicide by cop would be a more appropriate description than death penalty for stealing a car.

On the other hand is the question of when is use of deadly force appropriate? Was the officer in fear of his own life? Were they pointing a weapon at him?

I guess @YankeeMan would be our resident guru on this subject.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

You really want to lower the crime rate? Public executions and end parole for second offenders.

• Options

He said he 'thought' they were trying to break into a car. He shot them when they fled. More here. Seems to me not an occasion for the use of deadly force.
    https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/crime/double-fatal-shooting-off-duty-pentagon-officer-shoots-alleged-robbers/65-3cb925fa-cb94-4de1-a674-30925a7bb41b

• Options

I think the punishment fit the crime. Two less dirtbags walking around committing crimes. It was a public service.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

@silvermouse said:
    He said he 'thought' they were trying to break into a car. He shot them when they fled. More here. Seems to me not an occasion for the use of deadly force.
    https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/crime/double-fatal-shooting-off-duty-pentagon-officer-shoots-alleged-robbers/65-3cb925fa-cb94-4de1-a674-30925a7bb41b

Interesting. It does seem that his use of force was likely inappropriate. I must say that I disagree with Maryland's "Duty to retreat" stance, though. Sounds like a good way to get cornered and killed. I graduated High School in Texas, and much prefer the "Stand your ground" approach to defending oneself.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Someone actually said this...and, what’s worse, is idiots will agree with it.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cause a Glock isn't a semi automatic weapon??

And can I see someone pump 800 rounds through an AR in a minute?
    At night.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    The problem is they only look really stupid to the people who know about guns.

And those who understand guns are the minority.

• Options

@0patience said:
    Cause a Glock isn't a semi automatic weapon??

And can I see someone pump 800 rounds through an AR in a minute?
    At night.

You just gotta have the 800 rd magazine...