Options

Crappy Cigars

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Usaf06 said:
    GrouchoM said:
    Wait I thought Monticristos were a well respected smoke? What'd  I miss? Also,while not amazing, I smoked a few Baccarats my first month in, due to them being smaller, cheaper and ones that wouldn't overwhelm my palate.

Huh, we'll I was never one to smoke premiums when I started this cigar journey,  just funny to find this out by hearing you guys speak not so favorably of those two sticks. The more I learn, the more I realize I'm just a truck driver with an opinion (no offense KS wildcat you're a big truck driving man, there's a difference).

Sigh...I need a nap.
    Like Lee said earlier in the thread all the cigars named after there Cuban counterpart are only in business because of the names. 
    the montecristo white's aren't bad.....they're nowhere near worth msrp IMO but if they're on sale for a few bucks I'll snätch 'em up.

(REALLY!???!? it censors out snätch?!???! FOR F*CKS SAKE COME ON!!!!!)

but then again, i've been known to enjoy backwoods cigars on occasion, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the rough welcome to the forums! I blame bourbon but I still stand behind what I posted. I was lucky enough to have some really excellent cigars starting off which help narrow down what I prefer. These days with work I'm so dang busy I might get 4 cigars in a week. Since I have the no time problem I've just gone with the more high end cigars since I just want a really good treat that I can rely on. Yes there are great budget sticks but it's a long ride of trial and error! Also in the hotter monthes you can never tell what the cigar really is up until about two to three months of rest. My suggestion is buy from a b&m if you want to try them right away. Yes they don't have the biggest selections but that's something for another time. Also you should do a search through all the info on here since there is a ton of great stuff! @Bob_Luken yeah I know we tend to clash but that's what makes it a forum! If we all agreed it would be rather boring don't ya think?
    Yep, we ain't boring.  I respect your opinions even if they are delivered wrapped around a brick thrown through some newbies window, so to speak. Yes, we clash but, it's alright.  I actually agree with everything in this post. If I lost my stash and had to start over, the ones I'd pick to smoke would tend to be more expensive.  More money per stick doesn't always mean a great stick but your odds are better than searching for that bargain. It's an indication of quality if the market will bear the higher price over time. Right? I've been looking for bargain smokes all along and I've seen more dog turds than bargains. In the process I've discovered a few bargain sticks that I can say (for my taste) are good deals at a few bucks. But, you're right, bargain hunting really is a long road of trial and error. I understand you trying to steer someone away from that. LOL Just go easy on 'em. LOL
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black Crown is a pretty enjoyable bargain stick.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Skydiver, thanks for the comments. Lee, one of the reasons I don't drink. Thanks for the comments

Danny B
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    GrouchoM said:
    Wait I thought Monticristos were a well respected smoke? What'd  I miss? Also,while not amazing, I smoked a few Baccarats my first month in, due to them being smaller, cheaper and ones that wouldn't overwhelm my palate.

Huh, we'll I was never one to smoke premiums when I started this cigar journey,  just funny to find this out by hearing you guys speak not so favorably of those two sticks. The more I learn, the more I realize I'm just a truck driver with an opinion (no offense KS wildcat you're a big truck driving man, there's a difference).

Sigh...I need a nap.
    Like Lee said earlier in the thread all the cigars named after there Cuban counterpart are only in business because of the names. 
    Just to make it clearer I won't smoke any of them since the price point and what you get is not worth it IMO. A nc monte #2 is what $16 where I can get a Cuban for $10-$12...that being said the names are out there a lot more because the have Cuban roots. Now to a newcomer you instantly recognize the name and figure it's the best! One shop I go to relies souly on this type of person. They have a great selection of other things but you see the new to golf and cigar guys going straight towards the Romeos and montes while blazing past the padron,davidoff and other such brands. I'm not saying they are bad but for the price how can you justify it if you know better? And yes while people say get them on sale that is one thing. The last montes I bought was a long time ago and it was because I walked into a event and wanted to support the shop. Other then that they are just taking up space
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    I was given one REAL Cuban cigar from a friend about 4 weeks ago. It was a Romeo with a brownish/gold thin single band. I think a 6x48. Wow! Hello!  That girl was good. I've been trying to try my hands on more real Cubans ever since.  It was so smooth and loaded with flavor. It had a little pepper at the finish but it didn't last long. Although I am thankful for the one, One just wasn't enough. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    BigDaddy said:
    I was given one REAL Cuban cigar from a friend about 4 weeks ago. It was a Romeo with a brownish/gold thin single band. I think a 6x48. Wow! Hello!  That girl was good. I've been trying to try my hands on more real Cubans ever since.  It was so smooth and loaded with flavor. It had a little pepper at the finish but it didn't last long. Although I am thankful for the one, One just wasn't enough. 
    I'm hoping you mean montecristo! Ryj bands are not brown...monte bands are brown and I'm hoping it was a real one! Do you have any pics? Band cap or anything else? 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options

Here you go Lee. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    BigDaddy said:

Here you go Lee. 
    I'm sorry to tell you it is not a habano...I'm glad you enjoyed it but that is a nc. Pm me your addy I'll sponsor you. We can do a five for five
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    BigDaddy said:

Here you go Lee. 
    Based on the brown bands shown online, this one appears to be a fake. The real ones also state the vitola....  This one doesn't. 

The discontinued band looks like this:

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=romeo_y_julieta

and the current one like this:

• Options
    It's the original ryj viejo it's a ci
    and cigar.com brand
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    and cigar.com brand
    I thought we were talking about "real Cubans". Did I misread it?
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    and cigar.com brand
    No but it was really off and for memory it is what it is...not to offend anyone but it's a noob
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    and cigar.com brand
    No but it was really off and for memory it is what it is...not to offend anyone but it's a noob
    Understood. And, just for the sake of passing along some info, here's the link to the page where Cuban cigars can be checked for authenticity:

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=romeo_y_julieta
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    GrouchoM said:

Sigh...I need a nap.
    No offense taken. Everyone should have an opinion, to some I may voice mine to often.  ;)

With that said are you calling me fat?  :'( ..lol
    Post edited by kswildcat on
  • Options
    Dang!!  Well it was good. Lol. 
    Lee I'll PM you my address. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether it be a $2 cigar or a $20 cigar, smoke what you like. But yeah, don't fall for those Non Cubans just because they have the CC names. 

Now if you want to be cool and fit in, go to your bnm and buy the cigars with Chickens on it. 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here r some chicken sticks available 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Want a crappy cigar? Go down to the Gas Station and buy some Swishers. xD
  • Options
    tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    I've said this before, but they make more than one type of cigar for a reason.  Everyone's taste is different.  From time to time, I like a Victor Sinclair, but every time I mention that, I get hammered.  Done it good fun, but hammered just the same.

Someone besides me buys them, they are one of ccom's best sellers.  I'm the only one stupid enough to admit I smoke them.

By the way, 5 Vegas are some of my favorite cigars.
    One of my favorite yard 'gars is the Victor Sinclair Overruns. Mild, Connecticut wrapped Torpedo that burns well even when I am distracted by working in the shop and a great casual smoke while I am lazily hand watering my garden. For about $1.75 it's a great value!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    kswildcat said:
    3 or 4 days is not long enough to acclimate. What of the seven blends of 5vegas are you talking about? IMO the only real good 1 ROTT is the AAA. Let them sit 6 months and they damn good.. I smoke a lot of 5vegas but my palate and yours may be different. 
    Yes yes yes. 

Unless I'm at a shop I never smoke younger than 4 weeks. 

Though cigars are hygroscopic, they tend to lose and gain moisture at a much lower rate than the ambient air. If you want the entire cigar to truly acclimated to the proper humidification, you need several weeks. The ligero  leaves are especially difficult to acclimate given their thickness. This is only made worse by the fact they are in the dead center of almost all cigars. 

Good things come to those who wait. 
  • Options
    eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    I bought some Dark Shark Nicaraguan Maduro's last year that I've been working through. Not a premium, but I rather like them. I've certainly had worse bargain sticks.
    "Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 5 Vega classic has always been a fave of mine especially the corona. Sometimes I just like the plain sweet tobacco taste without all the " nuances ". 
  • Options
    eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    Ok, just got halfway through a Torano Dominico. Boy, did it suck. :p
    "Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Great discussion guys! Nice to see tempers flare and then cooler heads prevail. Now to dispute some of the nonsense being spewed. In general, I agree that the NC versions of Cuban cigars aren't spectacular. Most are overpriced due to name recognition. But honestly, how many boutiques are overpriced because they are "boutique"? Way too many people smoke bands and not cigars. Also, remember, that the NC Partagas brand was created after the Cuban revolution by the same people that made it on Cuba. Their blender didn't turn to crap because he couldn't use Cuban tobacco. Instead he became the best at blending with a Cameroon wrapper and proceeded to create some of the most sought after cigars ever in the Partagas 150. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz said:
    Great discussion guys! Nice to see tempers flare and then cooler heads prevail. Now to dispute some of the nonsense being spewed. In general, I agree that the NC versions of Cuban cigars aren't spectacular. Most are overpriced due to name recognition. But honestly, how many boutiques are overpriced because they are "boutique"? Way too many people smoke bands and not cigars. Also, remember, that the NC Partagas brand was created after the Cuban revolution by the same people that made it on Cuba. Their blender didn't turn to crap because he couldn't use Cuban tobacco. Instead he became the best at blending with a Cameroon wrapper and proceeded to create some of the most sought after cigars ever in the Partagas 150. 
    @SleevePlz

Tony, what a well thought out and composed message I really enjoyed reading that and completely agree!! Just like craft beer or most any other hand crafted product, there will be over priced crap from th big companies as well as from the little guys. It's up to us as consumers to use our heads and calm that "I want" factor to make smart and worthwhile purchases! It's places like his and discussions such as these that help us all to figure out what is and is not worth it and how to get the most from our $$$. Thanks for sharing and I encourage everyone to listen when Tony has something to share, I know I always do. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    And for those wanting to buy some Partagas 150's their is actually a box for sale on eBay. Be interesting to see if the reserve is met. I would think around 2000+
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    And for those wanting to buy some Partagas 150's their is actually a box for sale on eBay. Be interesting to see if the reserve is met. I would think around 2000+
    Ccom still has some.
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/11791/partagas-150-don-ramon/

But honestly, for the money, I can buy a couple Royal Danish #1 Gold & Swarovski
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/103442/royal-danish-regal-blend/

I still have a 150 left.
    But honestly, as much as I love my cameroons, it'**** or miss on those. Some aged ok, some went flat.
    Even the 160s that I have are old enough that they have the same problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love them, but if you are purchasing this type of cigar for flavor, you have to go into it with the mindset that it is a pretty old cigar and may not meet your expectations.

The ones I've given away, I always worry that the person will be extremely disappointed. 

But, Benji is probably the best cameroon blender on earth and anything of his is probably going to be pretty good.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Never had one and I am not a collector, I'm a smoker. But I am sure someone will buy them at some point. I have seen the Churchills, in coffins going for 100-150 at places. Never tempted though. I rarely chase Unicorns. But if I ever came across a Davidoff CC or a Dunhill CC that may make me change my mind. 

How are the Royal Danish Cigars? They are expensive and I hope worth the price.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?