Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    jlmarta said:
    The weak spot that immediately jumps out at you in this video is that the...
    Happy Curmudgeon Day!
    Yeah, I was gonna wish you the same thing earlier but it seems there’s some contention regarding who’s the second-place curmudgeon.....  

There are older ones than you but none older than me. Go figger....  👴🏻
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kenya Kirinyaga Kabumbu I roasted Monday tasted great this morning
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited February 2020
    Deleted....
    Got a new grinder as a Valentine's day present, nice!

roasted some Yirgacheffe FT Banko Dhadhato Gr. 3 Natural to a full city+ level, hoping it cuts down on the fruityness a bit.

I like the fruit, must be a left coast thing.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought some new gear today. Needed to get some more portable equipmentent and upgrades. Picked up an aeropress finally, hario v60 drip scale, porlex tall hand conical burr grinder and a Stagg EKG kettle.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    edited February 2020

I've never tried it, I probably wouldn't recommend it, but there's an Avo branded Nanopresso on Clearance. The sort of thing where you pour hot water in and you squeeze the lever on the side to make espresso.

If you have a good grinder already, you'd want to depressurize this, it comes set up for pre-ground coffee. Here's a video that covers the procedure.

Here's a review from a trustworthy source in the coffee industry, not sure that the Avo version comes with the pod adapter or not.

Speaking of siphons, here's an old video of a vintage siphon coffee maker

https://youtu.be/kOMEusIlsjo
    Well, I dunno who’s right and who’s wrong but I gotta tell ya, I and my brothers made countless posts of coffee for our dad using the trusty old Proctor-Silex siphon pot and we never did it like they did in that video.

We put the water in the bottom and the coffee in the top from the get-go. There was a flat holder for a cloth filter that went in the top and we dumped the coffee right in on top of it. We then set the pot with cold water in the bottom onto the gas flame and waited.

At the proper time, the hot water would rise into the top unit and, when all the water was up there, we removed it from the flame. When the coffee had all returned to the bottom unit we removed the top unit and served the coffee.

No stirring, no timing, just load it and go. Dad seemed to love it and it was a lot less effort.... 👴🏻

Same here. I've still got a stainless steel electric siphon pot, got to be at least 60 years old, stopped using it 30 years ago but still works fine. Made pretty good coffee.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jlmarta ... Dad would've loved it even more if you did it better. LOL.

I don't stir as much as the video because once it gets rolling it agitates itself. Waiting until the water is 'up north' isn't any extra work, and that way the coffee is only ever exposed to water that is the correct temp.

Thus sayeth Oldfart No.2.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    ^^^^ Uh, it would seem to Oldfart No. 1 that the water had to have reached the proper temperature to even have made it ‘up north’ as you say.

N’est ce pas?? 👴🏻

What Peter said, I try and just dunk the grounds in the water with the paddle instead of stirring. I had major problems with that siphon, the gasket wouldn't hold so the vacuum would fail and the water/coffee mixture would descend early.

I had done some experimenting with a thermocouple measuring the water temp and found that mounting the funnel at a certain point and letting the water rise before adding the coffee worked best for me, but ironically it's the brew method that control the least, using a scoop to measure the coffee instead of a scale and filling the pot with water to the line instead of using a scale.

Oh, well, I’ve been wrong before. Why, I distinctly recall a time, back in ‘49 if my memory doesn’t fail me, when I thought I had made a mistake. It turned out that I hadn’t, though.... 😜

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the end product really worth going through all that?

I have been curious about this process since the first time I saw a siphon pot.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

For me it isn’t worth it. Might very well be for someone else, though.

Here’s an interesting version for someone to try. And it offers more control than the original versions.....

I think you’ll have to cut and paste the URL because I used a photo for this post. Couldn’t seem to make it work any other way

For certain coffees, the siphon will make a very clean, clear cup accentuating the qualities of the coffee. It brews at a steady temperature which helps with the extraction.

I only occasionally brew with a siphon.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMNSHO, the siphon is the best way to make coffee; perfect water temp, agitation of the slurry from the steam working through it, full immersion steeping, and no paper filter. The only reason I don't use it more often is it's a PITA for cleanup.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

......ALL @peter4jc fauLt. and maybe check witcha crew. Me much LuV atchA BruthA.... You Know I DiG Ya.

Ok, somebody get that nutty mutt on a leash.

Yo.... YaK. Might wanna watch yo jazz Son....../. JumP uP JumP uP and Get Down......JUmP JuMp JuMp. uP..... Ya Dum aZZ

....was a Joke......ya need to ask suspects....but GFY ****.

Okay, today I’m venturing into ‘micro-curiosity’ regarding coffee.

So, what, actually, is coffee? I mean, we grind up some beans and, by various methods, we introduce the grounds to some hot water. After filtering the resulting slurry to remove the grounds, we drink what’s left.

But what are we drinking? If we separate out the water, what’s left? Microscopic coffee grounds that weren’t trapped by the filter? Or some form of flavor molecule that turns the water brown? What, actually, is it?

Can anyone explain this to me? You know, inquiring minds - and all that BS..... 😎

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that it is the microscopic grounds not trapped by the filter. I think that a centrifuge would settle most if not all of these out, leaving a separated water from grounds. There is, of course, always the slim possibility that I could be wrong. 😉

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

So, assuming that to be true, how would those microscopic grounds get across the room in an infusing chamber?

I’m not arguing - just pursuing the notion...