Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, looks better than my travel kit.

The Ethiopia Agaro-Duromina Coop coffee I roasted last Sunday is really coming into it's own.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191011144616.htm

Coffee bean extracts alleviate inflammation, insulin resistance in mouse cells
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you mouses...
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    12Ultralimited12Ultralimited Posts: 48 ✭✭✭
    Nothing worse than an inflamed mouse.
  • Options

Response of Coffee Farms to Hurricane Maria: Resistance and Resilience from an Extreme Climatic Event

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-51416-1
  • Options
    Dense
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    In October, for Pastor Appreciation Month, my wife gave me a subscription to a coffee-a-month.  I've had them before from roasters I know, but I don't know much about these guys, but so-far so-good.  I'll give it a little bit before I throw their name out there, but they're based out of TX and claim they roast their coffee individually right before they ship so it's outgassed by the time it arrives to you.

At any rate, this month, I got a light roast from Myanmar.  I've never had coffee from Myanmar before.  Any of you gurus have insight?  It's pretty good. Some chocolate and cherry notes.  Bright and sweet.  I think it's just a shade under-roasted even though I like lights and mediums. 
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    I've had some good coffees from India, and just a couple from Myanmar but I lump them in with that grouping.  For my palate, they're missing some midrange notes, like a speaker w/ only a woofer and a tweeter.  Nice, enjoyable, and unique, but I don't visit them often.

There are several forum members who have done the same thing w/ me and have for a few years; subscribe to the coffee-of-the-month thing; some get a lb a month, some get 2lbs, and one gets 3.  There are also a handful of members who are happy to order as needed.  As much as I don't want to self-promote, I also want to help people to enjoy their java.
  • Options
    Coffee Maker Review: Inexpensive 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHEt2hEEeWQ
  • Options
    You get what you pay for.  You want to pay more than this for a good coffee maker.
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    You get what you pay for.  You want to pay more than this for a good coffee maker.
    I would trust the Bonavita to make a good cup.  How their longevity is, I don't know, but they do have very good customer service.
  • Options
    Yeah, I hear good things about the Bonavita.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^All well and good, assuming one has a need for a maker of that capacity. For me, anything larger than a 2-cupper would be gilding the lily.....  👴🏻
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I've had some good coffees from India, and just a couple from Myanmar but I lump them in with that grouping.  For my palate, they're missing some midrange notes, like a speaker w/ only a woofer and a tweeter.  Nice, enjoyable, and unique, but I don't visit them often.

There are several forum members who have done the same thing w/ me and have for a few years; subscribe to the coffee-of-the-month thing; some get a lb a month, some get 2lbs, and one gets 3.  There are also a handful of members who are happy to order as needed.  As much as I don't want to self-promote, I also want to help people to enjoy their java.
    Had she asked me, I'd have said to look up The Excellent Cup, for sure!  One of my best friends was a roaster before joining the Navy and I got shipments from them regularly, but haven't done it for a couple years.  This was a nice surprise.

This Myanmar is fantastic the first sip.  Aroma is great, but I think I agree with what you're saying.  By the time I'm on my second cup, it's just another cup of coffee.  Not enough depth to hold up.

I wonder if there could be cheaper shipping between Milwaukee and York if there's some way to hitch a ride on a Harley shipment or something.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    ^^^^All well and good, assuming one has a need for a maker of that capacity. For me, anything larger than a 2-cupper would be gilding the lily.....  👴🏻
    The problem is that everyone uses a different measurement for a cup. My old Faberge said 4 cups and I got 2 out of it. My Cuisinart says 5 cups and I get 1 1/2 and it is a pain in the arse to use. So a pot that says 8 cups is probably 4. It will be my next purchase. Because of the tests that make it a good choice.
  • Options
    So, I come downstairs to brew a pot of coffee to share with my daughter before she leaves for work and while I'm grinding the 50 grams of coffee I notice something wrong, it doesn't sound right. The timer shuts off after grinding 45 grams and I realize I still have my grinder set for espresso from yesterday. 

Not wanting to waste the coffee, I grind more for the pot and start pulling 12 gram shots of my vintage FE-AR La Peppina. It's going to be a great day, this home roasted Ethiopia Dry Process Guji Gerbicho Rogicha makes delicious coffee and espresso.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    @Far_North_64

This should be a good page on roasting coffee with a hot air popper. I undoubtedly read it 10 years ago or so when I started.

https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/air-popcorn-popper-method/
  • Options
    Down to the last of my coffee so I roasted up a batch of Kenya Kiambu Fram Farm from Sweet Maria's last night on the vHerf with Ricky and Bob.  Roasted it hot and fast, faster than I planned, but it tastes bright and sweet this morning so I'm happy.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I roasted some older Guatemala yesterday and some new Ethiopia coffee. Brewed the Guat this morning, my daughter loves it, I found it very mild and not so flavorful, but clean. She takes milk or creamer in her coffee though.

Might improve with rest.
    Post edited by Yakster on
  • Options
    @peter4jc, got a question: do you let your coffee de-gas before you bag up your coffee roasts or do you put it in valved mylar bags as soon as it is cooled? 
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the article:
    Jarret Stopforth says he and his team have at last developed a product that contains the“five core components of coffee — the body, the mouth feel, the aroma and flavor.”
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    lol. They nailed all 4 of the 5 components in their 'product'.
  • Options
    Not sure of the difference between body and mouth feel, so it's maybe only three.
  • Options
    @peter4jc, got a question: do you let your coffee de-gas before you bag up your coffee roasts or do you put it in valved mylar bags as soon as it is cooled? 
    The beans get to de-gas in the bags.
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    Not sure of the difference between body and mouth feel, so it's maybe only three.
    ^ Big boobs, of course
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    When I cup samples I score body (how full and heavy a coffee sits on the palate) and have a sub-category under body where I note the mouthfeel (juicy, smooth, gritty, etc).
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    ...maybe I don't wanna get into coffee.... We've got a 5 point grading scale for mouth feel and it looks like Chris put his coffee beans on the Dyno machine or an EKG or something....
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    I roasted some older Guatemala yesterday and some new Ethiopia coffee. Brewed the Guat this morning, my daughter loves it, I found it very mild and not so flavorful, but clean. She takes milk or creamer in her coffee though.

Might improve with rest.

The Guat should make a decent nitro cold brew.