Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, but my sack of pinto beans from before Y2K is toast.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try sprouting a couple/three of them, if they germinate they should still be nutritious.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Roasting three coffees today, Ethiopia, Costa Rica, and Kenya.

I think @silvermouse asked if my roaster displays ET (Environmental Temp).  No, currently the software displays the old BT (conventional Bean Temp probe) and the Infrared sensor BT and an ROR (Rate of Rise) for the old BT probe.  They'll be adding features to the software eventually.

My first two roasts took longer than expected today so I hooked up my Variac inline to ensure 120 V AC into the roaster and I'm charging to a higher temp for this last batch.  The exhaust vent really works, sucks up the smoke from the roaster, but when I have it on it doesn't get my cigar smoke too.  Right now I'm pre-heating for an hour (the roaster thinks it's ready to roast in ~25 minutes but all the parts aren't up to temp) and smoking with the vent pipe off until I start the roast.

• Options
    The Variac made a tremendous difference.  Here's a roast level pictorial for @Stubble

https://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-VisualGuideV2.php
  • Options
    Coffee roast QA this morning.

1. Ethiopia Gr. 1 Guji Uraga Tabe
    2. Costa Rica Dota El Conquistador
    3. Kenya Gatanga Ibutiti Estate

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yummy!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Drinking the coffee I roasted yesterday.

1. Honduras Buenos Aires Lote Mendez
    2. Rwanda Karongi Nyarubuye Station
    3. Sumatra Wet Process Gunung Tujuh

• Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jump start your day with some eye-opening #chemistry! Today marks the 225th birthday of Friedlieb Ferdinand Runge, the analytical chemist who grinded away in the lab and discovered caffeine.
  • Options
    Jump start your day with some eye-opening #chemistry! Today marks the 225th birthday of Friedlieb Ferdinand Runge, the analytical chemist who grinded away in the lab and discovered caffeine.
    But it's the 1200th birthday of Kaldi, the goat herder who first learned about the magical ingredient in coffee beans.
  • Options
    The goats discovered caffeine, but they didn't tell anyone.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    The goats discovered caffeine, but they didn't tell anyone.
    Goats are great secret keepers.
  • Options
    Why do coffee pot makers use a cup measurement that means nothing to coffee drinkers?

And, for the 1st time i have a coffee pot carafe that does not spill/leak when pouring coffee.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spillage was user error, fo show.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    The spillage was user error, fo show.

• Options
    https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-price-of-coffee-20190204-story.html
    The price of coffee is in crisis. Here’s why you should care

For most farmers the cost of production is around $1.20 per pound, according to Alejandro Cadena, co-founder and chief executive of Caravela Coffee. “$1.20 is a critical number because anything lower and they're producing at a loss,” he said. “We've been trading below $1.20 for the past six months or so.”
  • Options
    Food Scientists have cracked the code and working on a substitute for coffee.  I'm sure it'll taste as good as tofu burgers taste.

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/coffee-without-beans-atomo/

This morning, I made a pot of the Mexico Zongozotola Amarillo coffee I roasted up last Sunday.  I very carefully measured out the coffee and the water, bloomed the coffee in my coffee maker, pulled out the filter basket and stirred the coffee for a better bloom, then went upstairs to work on something else and forgot to put the pot under the filter and made a mess of coffee and grounds on the counter.

I made a second pot after I cleaned up the mess, it was good, but I feel bad wasting the first pot.
  • Options
    Making coffee before you've any caffeine is like being blind as a bat and looking for your lost glasses.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I fell asleep with my glasses on last night watching Durham County on Prime and had to look for them this morning.  I thought they'd be on the floor but I found them on top of the blanket.  It was a heck of a morning, I though I was really going to get a lot done, but ended up sidelined and setback several times.
  • Options
  • Options
    I justj use canning jars, from 4 oz to half-gallon.  Love that they clean up in the dishwasher.
  • Options
    My theory is if you drink it before it goes stale you don't have to worry about keeping it fresh.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    My roasting is exceeding my drinking right now as I learn my roaster. I'm not excited by all my roasts, some of them are learning experiences.

Plus I don't want to waste new bags on every batch of coffee I roast, I'd rather clean a canning jar than a bag.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Enjoying a press cup of the YakRoast Mexican Yellow (Mexico Zongozotola Amarillo).

30g of course ground and 12oz water. Crust stirred 30 secs in and at end of 3.5 minutes.  Trrriiiiipp.....Nice and strong flavors. Tastes nothing like the usual Drip, Seattle's Best Post Alley or San Francisco Roasters we get.  Thank you, @Yakster Chris.

What are your opinions on the ratio of grind to water here? 
  • Options
    Sounds good, I use a 1:15 ratio for pour-over and 1:13 for immersion like French press as a starting point which would work out to 27.3 g so you're in the ballpark.

Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Next batch,  I'll try less grams of ground to try for the lighter flavors. This batch was bulldozer strong right over the taste buds, loved it. 
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    How the hell am I going to weigh 27.3 -30 freakin grams?

If memory serves me correctly 28 grams and some change is an ounce so if I divide a pound 16 ways I will be in the ballpark.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    How the hell am I going to weigh 27.3 -30 freakin grams?

If memory serves me correctly 28 grams and some change is an ounce so if I divide a pound 16 ways I will be in the ballpark.
    Do yourself a favor... be like me... buy this scale...
    https://www.ebay.com/i/332730105845?chn=ps

@g@GaryThompson my go-to quick-and-dirty calculation is 2 grams of beans for every ounce of water.  Easy-peasy.   And do yourself a favor... be like dirtdude (and Stubble, and avengethis, and Patrick, etc)... get this grinder...
    http://https//www.baratza.com/product/encore/

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Gotta love these chinese electronics.What? $1.99 shipping?
    Found this little jewel out of CA $6.99 free shipping.

Got coffee coming today,  cant wait on the slow boat from China.
    A little dirt never hurt