Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice AF Cup.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Using chemistry to unlock the difference between cold- and hot-brew coffee

Posted: 02 Apr 2020 10:46 AM PDT

Cold brew may be the hottest trend in coffee-making, but not much is known about how this process alters the chemical characteristics of the beverage. Now, scientists report that the content of potentially health-promoting antioxidants in coffee brewed without heat can differ significantly from a cup of joe prepared the traditional way, particularly for dark roasts.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200402134618.htm

• Options
    edited April 2020

I love funky vintage lever espresso machines. Looks like a bomb.

• Options

here's a pic of a neat tattoo one coffee roaster posted on facebook:

• Options

I have a black bumper sticker with the caffeine molecule shown on the back of my car.

• Options
    edited April 2020

• Options
    edited April 2020

Really tasty roast with a coffee form Guatemala and the Rwanda Robusta that @silvermouse sent me (about 25% Robusta!)

• Options

Too much of the Rwanda Robusto in this one, dominated by malty flavors.

• Options

Nice crema, wish my "The Little Guy" brewer could do that but so far haven't succeeded.

• Options

Earlier today

• Options

Coronavirus coffee farmer: 'We're definitely scared'
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52442123

• Options

Happy to share. I bought it for espresso blend but have been adding some now and then to regular roasts if they need what it gives. Sweet Maria's is sold out at present. It was a good example of what robusta can achieve.

• Options

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-evidence-higher-caffeine-urate-parkinson.html

Caffeine intake was lower in idiopathic PD patients compared to healthy controls. The odds of having PD decreased significantly with increasing caffeine consumption in a concentration-dependent manner across quintiles of caffeine consumption, adjusting for age, sex, BMI, and plasma urate. Compared with the lowest caffeine consumption quintile, the prevalence of PD was over 70 percent lower in the highest quintile. A strong inverse association was also observed with plasma urate levels both in males and females. An equally large association between urate and PD risk was observed among women, in contrasts with most prior studies of the association between urate and idiopathic PD stratified by sex. These findings support the generalizability of discoveries made with this cohort, which is well suited for deep analysis of relationships between dietary factors, genes, established and novel biomarkers, and clinical phenotypes of PD.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Uh, OK, I guess...I'll just take your word for it.

And I thought Kierkegaard and Martin Buber were confusing!.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

drink lots of coffee and you are less likely to get Parkinson's Disease.

• Options
  • Options

well, that piqued my interest some more. Thanks, Chris. I inquired to Sweet Maria's but they wrote back that they have no robustas for sale. But Burman's does:
    https://burmancoffee.com/?s=robusta. I think the effort is spurred by all the trouble growers are getting with disease in their Arabica crops.

• Options

They had two different roasters on the Instagram Live session and they contradicted each other in their approach to roasting, one recommending treating it like a Natural process coffee and the other recommending a different approach. It seems it's still early days in learning about growing, roasting, and brewing Robusta.

• Options

I made an espresso tonic with the Rwanda Robusta, some orange rind, and a few drops of squeezed orange and SodaStream water. It was very refreshing.

• Options

• Options
    edited May 2020

Fixed an espresso tonic after lunch with the Guatemala coffee I roasted the other day.

The tonic I made previously from Robusta beans was a lot frothier but I think the SodaStream bottle of seltzer water was a lot less carbonated today.

• Options

Delicious, chocolaty shot of Guatemala San Lucas Toliman Cafe Oro from my Robot espresso maker taking the slack out of my afternoon.

• Options

New online magazine for lever espresso machine lovers: https://www.thelevermag.com

• Options

thank you, Chris. Now I want a lever machine.

• Options

Great video of the Cafelat Robot with a transparent portafilter.

• Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Phase one of nitro cold brew.

(Image)

Ok so what's phase 2...?
    I'm all admit the cold brew so my real question is better to slow steep cold or brew and then chill?

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 72 years on Earth, I finally stumbled upon a coffee press. I feel as tho I have wasted all my years up to now. I never would have dreamt of trying one, but for the fact that The Redhead loves liqueurs that taste like cough syrup. I went to fetch her a Frangelica, but the only bottle they had left in stock came in a gift pack with, of all things, a coffee press. So. thanks to Covid supply probs and Frangelica marketing genius, I thot what the hell, I'll try out a freebie press. It's a revelation.

What the heck makes those things work so well?
    Who makes the best one?
    Or does a freebie works as well as any other?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

I have had a Bodum for the last 50 years, replaced the screen once and the glass once (clumsy slip), so my recommendation may be outdated.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Bodum French Press and an AeroPress. I prefer the French Press

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.