Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    The answer depends on what you are comparing it to; so much smoother than what?

If you're comparing the FP to a method that uses a paper filter, that right there is the culprit. The screen in the FP, or any mechanical filter for that matter, allows the oils in the coffee to remain intact, whereas the paper traps the oils. There is some ongoing debate about the effects of the oils in coffee raising one's cholesterol, but I for one, don't care.

I used to make my coffee in one of those one-cup aluminum espresso pots. I would mix half espresso with half heated half&half. The wife still does the worse rip-off way you can make coffee, which has got to be Keurig... all packaging and nearly no beans. Never been a coffee addict. Never have used a filter that I can remember.

On rare occasion, I might order a coffee at our breakfast diner. Don't much care for it. Usually prefer iced tea or such. No idea how they boil theirs. I'm assuming those paper restaurant coffee packs, which I'm thinking qualify as filter. May be wrong.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coffee has arrived! Any recommendations on grind size for all these? I’ll be using my 8 year old DēLonghi DCM 900 drip machine to brew, it brews HOT!

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please rephrase your question. I don't know what you're asking or why.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Please rephrase your question. I don't know what you're asking or why.

I don’t know much about coffee. Is there any benefits or disadvantages to go with a courser or finer grind for drip, no espresso etc. really fine is for espresso or does it not matter?

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options

And yes does grind size matter for each individual coffee, finer for one or courser for another or just pick the middle of the road in between fine and course on the grinder and say the hell with it. All the coffee I’ve been drinking is from this South American guy that’s local, it’s all pre ground but seamed pretty fine grind wise, hope this helps some.

• Options

It'll sound like a vague answer but maybe just start at medium, take note of taste, and work a little finer the next day. The coffee's flavors shift a bit each day as it off-gasses and starts to stale though, so it's kind of a crapshoot. The main thing is to pay attention to the cup, and just enjoy it. It isn't rocket science and we should resist the urge to overthink it.

What grinder do you have?

• Options

@TX98Z28 said:

@peter4jc said:

@TX98Z28 said:
    First coffee purchase from @peter4jc This stuff smells exquisite! Thanks Peter can’t wait to try these.

>

Just so you know, you're only allowed to purchase in the half-lb. bag size for the first order. After that, it needs to be full lb. bags.

I don’t know if you’re bustin my chops or being serious?

@TX98Z28

A little of both, actually. People searching the web for coffee who don't know me might want to see half-lbs as an option just to check it out. But as a roaster, I hate half-lb orders; I roast in 3lb batches so then I need to find a home for the other 2.5lbs. In your case, it meant roasting 21lbs to net your 3.5lbs. They say the customer's always right so I do it, but it drives me nuts.

• Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im a customer, and he's kinda sexy,

• Options

You ain't nothin' but a hOundDog.

• Options

@peter4jc said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@peter4jc said:

@TX98Z28 said:
    First coffee purchase from @peter4jc This stuff smells exquisite! Thanks Peter can’t wait to try these.

>

Just so you know, you're only allowed to purchase in the half-lb. bag size for the first order. After that, it needs to be full lb. bags.

I don’t know if you’re bustin my chops or being serious?

@TX98Z28

A little of both, actually. People searching the web for coffee who don't know me might want to see half-lbs as an option just to check it out. But as a roaster, I hate half-lb orders; I roast in 3lb batches so then I need to find a home for the other 2.5lbs. In your case, it meant roasting 21lbs to net your 3.5lbs. They say the customer's always right so I do it, but it drives me nuts.

No the customer isn’t always right😉...I had no idea you roasted 3lbs. per batch just to get me a 1/2lb. of each variety. I wish you would have contacted me about this before you roasted and I would have gladly changed the order. I was under the impression you got all the orders from customers in over a couple days and then roasted each variety’s total order of pounds at once, then weighed it out accordingly. As per my grinder it’s just a cheap $10 electric that has a corse to fine in increments for selection. It works well only grinds a small amount at a time.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TX98Z28 said:

I was under the impression you got all the orders from customers in over a couple days and then roasted each variety’s total order of pounds at once, then weighed it out accordingly.

That's not the way they do it in Milwaukee :D

• Options

@TX98Z28 said: I was under the impression you got all the orders from customers in over a couple days and then roasted each variety’s total order of pounds at once, then weighed it out accordingly. As per my grinder it’s just a cheap $10 electric that has a corse to fine in increments for selection. It works well only grinds a small amount at a time.

You were correct, in a way... roughly 2/3's of my customers order what we call "Roaster's Choice"; they've had most of the offerings and like them all, and they like the surprise, so they let me decide what to send them. That's where the other 2.5lbs goes when you order a half lb. As I get older/lazier and try to merge into retirement, I want something to do (roasting) but want to make it easy on myself so I don't see it as a job and just stop altogether.

If you ever get serious about coffee, it'll mean replacing that grinder.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

@TX98Z28 said:

I was under the impression you got all the orders from customers in over a couple days and then roasted each variety’s total order of pounds at once, then weighed it out accordingly.

That's not the way they do it in Milwaukee :D

Edward’s right, don’tcha know....🤣🤣

• Options

@peter4jc said:

@TX98Z28 said: I was under the impression you got all the orders from customers in over a couple days and then roasted each variety’s total order of pounds at once, then weighed it out accordingly. As per my grinder it’s just a cheap $10 electric that has a corse to fine in increments for selection. It works well only grinds a small amount at a time.

You were correct, in a way... roughly 2/3's of my customers order what we call "Roaster's Choice"; they've had most of the offerings and like them all, and they like the surprise, so they let me decide what to send them. That's where the other 2.5lbs goes when you order a half lb. As I get older/lazier and try to merge into retirement, I want something to do (roasting) but want to make it easy on myself so I don't see it as a job and just stop altogether.

If you ever get serious about coffee, it'll mean replacing that grinder.

I know what not to do now. What kind of grinder would you recommend? I really don’t grind a lot at once, prefer automatic as I’m slow as a slug in the Morning. I did try your Brazilian today but made it way to weak (didn’t add enough coffee) was very smooth, tasted good for still having wine stained teeth from last night😁

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007F183LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cBhLFb89XGA7E

This is what I have and it will probably be Peters recommendation as well. I just weight out the coffee I need, dump it in the hopper and turn it on.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

@avengethis said:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007F183LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cBhLFb89XGA7E

This is what I have and it will probably be Peters recommendation as well. I just weight out the coffee I need, dump it in the hopper and turn it on.

Love mine...

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the Baratza Vario that I've used for 10 years for both espresso and brewed coffee.

Peter, can you still sell Baratza grinders now that Breville has acquired them?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    I have the Baratza Vario that I've used for 10 years for both espresso and brewed coffee.

No sir. That deal fell through.

@TX98Z28 break out that pocket scale you have laying around from your days of slingin' meth (or buy one for under $10) and start weighing out your beans for each cup. It'll give you some repeatability. Some beans are small and dense, some are large and less dense, so you won't be accurate by using a scoop or spoon.

I've had some new customers remark that the coffee is weak. What typically happens is that people are switching from coffees that have more impact from off-flavors from being over-roasted or are just crap-coffees, and when they get some good coffee, roasted right that don't have those off-flavors they don't get that same impact.

I use a rule of thumb for coffee:water ratio... 2 grams of coffee for each oz. of water.

• Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

@Yakster said:

No sir. That deal fell through.

@TX98Z28 break out that pocket scale you have laying around from your days of slingin' meth (or buy one for under $10) and start weighing out your beans for each cup. It'll give you some repeatability. Some beans are small and dense, some are large and less dense, so you won't be accurate by using a scoop or spoon.

I've had some new customers remark that the coffee is weak. What typically happens is that people are switching from coffees that have more impact from off-flavors from being over-roasted or are just crap-coffees, and when they get some good coffee, roasted right that don't have those off-flavors they don't get that same impact.

I use a rule of thumb for coffee:water ratio... 2 grams of coffee for each oz. of water.

I DiG this mofo...P in da town.

• Options

I used up the last of my home roasted coffee yesterday morning, only having some commercial espresso blends in the freezer, so I roasted up two batches of coffee last night. The first batch I decided to use up the last bits of different coffees that I had in bags, but didn't have enough of each to roast a full batch, so I did a tails blend of the following coffees.

65 % Sumatra Wet Process Gunung Tujuh
    17 % Colombia Ibague Rio Combeima
    18 % Ethiopia (mostly Ethiopia Dry Process Benti Nenka & a little bit of the Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village to make weight)

This is the coffee that I brewed this morning and it's a real fruit salad of flavors. Very nice coffee blend that I'll probably never have again. A happy accident.

The second batch was all Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village, and now I have coffee to hold me for the next two weeks.

• Options

I regret not buying full 1lbs. from Peter. That Uganda Sipi Falls is exceptional! First purchase lesson learned.

• Options

@TX98Z28 said:
    I regret not buying full 1lbs. from Peter. That Uganda Sipi Falls is exceptional! First purchase lesson learned.

That coffee's coming back into stock in a month or so. You can order two lbs. then. ;-)

@Yakster I call that my Serendipity Blend. And if I roast all the tail ends of samples, because often they send me a lb. and I only roast 12oz., there can be more than a dozen coffees in the roaster then I call it the Heinz 57 Blend.

• Options

Tanzania peaberry from Coffee Corral is very good. Deep caramel at full city roast.
    also, found this resource for coffee plant varieties:
    https://varieties.worldcoffeeresearch.org/varieties

• Options

good beans, good people: 6lbs/free shipping/$30:

https://legacyfarmscoffee.com/

New crop has arrived!
    Green coffee beans are now available! We are so grateful that a global pandemic, hurricanes, and daily life aside, our coffee beans are safely in Kansas and ready for your enjoyment.

Our current offerings are as follows:

Lempira
    Honey process: Caramel and honey tasting notes. Light chocolate aroma.
    Washed process: Caramel and citrus tasting notes.

Bourbon
    Honey process: Light strawberry tasting notes. Floral and honey aroma.

Catuai
    Honey process: Chocolate and hints of citrus tasting notes. Light
    chocolate aroma.

Icatu
    Honey process: Dry chocolate tasting notes. Sweet mocha aroma.

Parainema
    Honey process: Light sweet chocolate and honey tasting notes. Red fruit
    aroma.

Peaberry
    Mixed varieties. Slight cocoa with delicate fruit tasting notes. Hints of fruit
    aroma.
    And more to come!!

©2020 Legacy Farms Coffee | 2214 Arapaho Rd, Moundridge, KS 67107

• Options

Very interesting!

• Options

Thanks, giving the washed Lempira a try, free shipping with my 10# order, they were out of Bourbon.

• Options

Yeah, I wanted the bourbon, too. got 12 lbs. of Lempira, I have tried them all but not a fan of honey processed though it is not as in-your-face as the Bali I've had from Peter.

• Options

I've had three cups of coffee today and I want more. Yesterday I roasted an Ethiopia Sidama Shantawene Village which was delicious and a smaller (460 g) batch of the very special Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro a friend gave me which was a bit hollow. The Kenya smelled great mid first crack, but I took it to the end which may have been a mistake.

I crave the flavor and need the liquid motivation.