Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or at least how to properly serve it?? 👴🏻👍

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

time to stock up or just avoid these coffees due to the intense spraying of insecticides?

Last spring they foraged on coffee plants:
    https://citizentv.co.ke/news/locusts-camp-in-kirinyaga-sending-coffee-farmers-into-panic-325133/

and a second swarm is happening now:

Across the Horn of Africa locust invasions have reached dangerous levels in Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya, according to the FAO.

npr.org/2021/01/19/958543535/locust-swarms-threaten-parts-of-east-africa

• Options
    edited January 2021

My Wife drank a second cup of coffee today. Queue Mrs. Olson. No, it wasn't Folgers Crystals, it was Uganda Sipi Falls Natural. She said she both needed it and wanted it. Sadly, this meant my normal second cup from the pot wasn't all there, just a little bit left.

• Options

You need a bigger pot.

• Options

I don't remember the last time that Kim made coffee. I'd make a bigger pot except there's days when someone else doesn't drink coffee or two someone's and I'd like to minimize waste.

• Options

One last water activity post, this one all about coffee, so I'll post it here. This one seems to tie things together a bit for me.

https://royalcoffee.com/green-coffee-analytics-relevance-to-roasters-buyers-and-producers-part-i-moisture-content-and-total-water-activity/

• Options

and a response from Burmans:

Burman Coffee gburman@burmancoffee.com
    11:15 AM (32 minutes ago)
    to me

I have not heard much word about the next Kenya crop but it should be picked by now, most of the container ship dates I am seeing are early Feb, which means the coffee was picked Nov/Dec/Jan.

Everything on the market is getting a little older so its always a questions on stocking up on how well will they age, in general if availability becomes an issue, I would shop similar cups coming out of Rwanda or Tanz, possibly Congo, Zambia etc.. Depends on how much you love Kenya coffee though.

We will definitely get some new lots into March/April/May but unfortunately with their aggregate production model, hard for us to know if they have increased pesticide usage. In general, we see very little organics out of Kenya but single estate coffees are becoming more popular which allows for organic production.

Thanks,

Jon Burman

www.burmancoffee.com

gburman@burmancoffee.com

2140 W Greenview Dr Suite 2

Middleton, Wi. 53562

608-831-9247

• Options

Got my new Behmor 2000AB roaster. I've ordered upgrade parts for my old 1600+ and will keep it, for now, as a backup. It has served me well but is tired after 354 roasts.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Congrats, Edward. Keep the old one as a backup and to roast almonds. Just remember that there's no second crack with almonds.

• Options

Got a good roast of the Legacy Farms Honduras Cerro Bueno Lempira last night on the Bullet. Took it darker than ever, still well before second crack, but it's tasting pretty good this morning.

• Options

The videos from the Roast Magazine 2021 Summit are up: https://www.roastmagazine.com/roastsummit/

The first video talks about water activity in green coffee. Rob Hoos gives a talk on airflow in roasting and Anne Cooper talks about a wide range of topics in roasting emphasizing knowing your green coffee. I missed most of the Chemistry talk in the live stream so I'll have to catch up on it later.

• Options

I'm trying to find a descriptive for a flavor in the Haiti coffee I roasted. Any suggestions? It is not an unpleasant bean, has good body, not too acid, decent flavor, except for this overtone. Best I can come up with is 'mildly acrid' or 'slightly harsh', like a scratchy sweater or something abrasive.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have looked at a flavor wheel?

Sounds like it might be a sensation rather than a flavor; something you feel more than taste?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Looks good, John!

• Options

@peter4jc said:
    Have looked at a flavor wheel?

Sounds like it might be a sensation rather than a flavor; something you feel more than taste?

probably, two more days of development time (8 days rest in total) and it turned the corner and is really good now. Guess different beans have different peak flavor ramps. Roasted the rest of it today, some into French roast territory, some city+.

• Options

If coffee commercials were honest:

https://facebook.com/watch/?v=159609412598341

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was good, and definitely made me chuckle.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

New coffee scale announced

acaiacoffee Introducing a brand new scale: the HAL 9000!

The HAL 9000 is our first completely autonomous, artificially intelligent scale. And it wants to help you.

This scale will not display weight or time but will guide you in a calm, conversational voice; easing you into your daily coffee journey. The assigned coffee recipe is of the utmost importance to HAL, so if you happen to diverge too far from the instructions, the scale will take over.

HAL 9000 can not let you jeopardize the brew mission. Available universally never. Results may vary.

• Options

The content of polyphenols in coffee beans as roasting, origin and storage effect

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210429123340.htm

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    The content of polyphenols in coffee beans as roasting, origin and storage effect

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210429123340.htm

I'd like to read that, but seems to go to an article on fasting: Fasting lowers blood pressure by reshaping the gut microbiota.

• Options
    edited April 2021

oh, sorry about that, I'm all over the place this morning @Yakster

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00217-019-03388-9

• Options

Here's a video about avoiding coffee roasting defects that may be interesting for the home-roasters on this forum.

https://youtu.be/3DEbrstCGdk

• Options

Thanks, I bookmarked it for later.