Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look like something worth trying.
    OTOH, just received 5 lbs. of Mexico Oaxaca HG Organic beans, can't wait to give some a spin in the Behmor.

"This Fair Trade Organic Mexico is a unique Oaxacan coffee bean – sweet with notes of orange-citrus, very clean, good acidity and no traces of any unpleasant, dusty or earthy characteristics that lower quality Mexican coffee can frequently exhibit. This organic coffee variety hails from Oaxaca, the southwestern state in Mexico to the west of mountainous ranges of Chiapas.

In 1989, after the Mexican government abandoned the coffee industry sector because of budget cuts, the Oaxacan State Coffee Producers Network (CEPCO) was established. CEPCO was able to unite small producers throughout the Oaxacan region and uses the revenue from their Fair Trade sales to provide credit and savings support for its members, promote women’s organization and technical assistance to families, provide life insurance for members and to fund coffee production infrastructure improvements. Currently 90% of CEPCO’s farmers own less than 2 hectares.

Cupping Notes: Very clean, good acid, sweet notes of orange-citrus, slight hints of brown sugar and cocoa"

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good, Edward.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read of this CEPCO, and it sounds like they do an amazing job for the farmers.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

and it is good. These folks have it though with shipping it is about $8/lb. for 5 lbs.

Factor in moisture loss and you're looking at between $9-10 per lb. But hey, we're not taking it with us, and those Mexican coffee farmers can use a hand.

I just ordered 4 sacks of green, and prices have gone up, so that may be a part of that Mex being more... and the USPS price hike.

Still beats $18 - $20 for 300 grams of specialty roasted coffee.

Just ordered some Pamama beans:

3 lb Bundle: Panama: 6 Half-Pound Sampler 1 $22.99
    Panama Premium Boquete – Mama Cata Estate – Pacamara Natural 1 $12.99
    Subtotal: $35.98
    Shipping: $7.49
    Total: $43.47

Mmm, Panama, nice. I'm almost out of the Panama Elida Natural Cattuei

...not to mention your new San Benito. Just sayin'...

I couldn't figure out what you were talking about, Peter, until I picked up the mail this morning. Thanks for the prequel to my shipment of Panama coffee, and the cigars!

LOL, I forgot about your Monday-only once-a-week run to the Post Office. Cheers, my friend!

I challenge you to watch this whole video.

https://youtu.be/Epyb9aoz3sg

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. You win. About twenty seconds was my limit…. 🙄

Gonna rush right out and buy a wok and some MSG.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Robby should have the hat in the logo also

I need a new coffee grinder, the Austrian-engineered but made in China Mueller that I have is on its last legs. Only last about a year, replaced this one while under warranty a year ago. Anyway, I need a new one, capable of easily switching between espresso grind and pour over grind. I am looking at Barazata and Rancilio. Any experience on quality/price and durability would be appreciated.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/rancilio-rocky-coffee-grinder
    https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/baratza-sette-30-ap-espresso-grinder

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barratza, based on a recommendation from Peter has been working well for us for a year and a half.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cbuck said:
    Barratza, based on a recommendation from Peter has been working well for us for a year and a half.

And I, too, will vouch for the Baratza. That Peter’s a smooth talking salesman….. 👍👴🏻

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

@jlmarta said:

@cbuck said:

And I, too, will vouch for the Baratza. That Peter’s a smooth talking salesman….. 👍👴🏻

And most salesman are bullies…so Peter fits the stereotype! Lol

I've had the Baratza Vario for over 10 years and switch between espresso and drip with good success. The experts on Home Barista will tell you that it doesn't work and you need a dedicated espresso grinder. It works good enough for me, but I did sign up for the Weber Key Grinder Kickstarter which should be nice to have a dedicated espresso grinder. I use lever espresso machines that are less picky about dialing in the grind to the nth degree since you can compensate on the fly with your arms to get the right flow rate so I am able to change the grind and pull a good shot without having to make multiple grind changes, but I'm just that good. :D

Baratza just released a Vario+ grinder which has more metal parts in the structure supporting the burrs which should make it more reliable, makes it more like the Forte, so I recommend looking at that.

Baratza will also sell you the parts to fix your grinder, even if they no longer make it and will rebuild your grinder. They want to keep their grinders out of the landfill, in fact I talked to Kyle Anderson at an industry coffee convention years ago and he talked me out of upgrading my Vario to a Forte saying that it was unnecessary.

Thanks, Chris, looks like what I am looking for though the $500+ price is a bit higher than I would like, but if it is durable it will end up cost effective. The Vario+ appears to be out of stock at the moment but I am not in a hurry.

The Vario+ was just released so they're probably out-of-stock for all the holiday buyers right now.

I don't have any experience with any of the other Baratza models, the Sette seems to be loud and had a problematic start so I wouldn't recommend that one but some of the other models might work for what you want, but I've been happy with my Vario.

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a hand crank kind you old guys are into that kinda stuff I thought ;)

I can't count how many hand grinders I have.

I used this one for years:

@silvermouse More on the Vario, tricks and tips.

The lower burr "floats" on a platform that's raised and lowered by Micro and Macro levers. Gravity holds the lower burr on the platform but you get best results in making adjustment by starting the motor and going from coarser to finer to make sure that the burr is firmly resting on the platform. If the lower burr isn't fully seated on the platform than the act of grinding coffee will force the burrs apart when you grind.

The micro lever adjusts the grind in small steps and the macro lever adjusts the grind in larger steps. The range of the micro lever is greater than one macro step so there's overlap. I think there's a post on Home Barista that attempts to quantify this, but I don't worry about it.

good to know, thanks. Looking forward to its availability.

@jlmarta said:

@cbuck said:

Not to mention @WaterNerd @avengethis @Stubble along w/ a few others...