Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

yow, you don't mess around, Chris. I roasted 8 oz of Ethiopia Sidama.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

I'd never seen ozzy man before, only heard his voice. I figured he was older.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must have done something right, my Wife asked for a 3rd cup and my son asked for a second cup.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • VisionVision Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

@peter4jc said:
    Hey! Congrats! It's a deep, deep hole, as you can imagine. A good hole, nonetheless, but deeper than deep and blacker than black.

Sounds like my kind of Friday night!

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

I'm not desperate to upgrade but I found another roaster on Facebook Marketplace.
    Looks almost unused from the pics. This little box is designed to sit over a propane or butane burner.

He's asking 175 and they are 540 on Amazon.

similar to this one vvvvvvv
    https://youtu.be/Hjzcd4CpiOs

My son made pancakes this morning (under duress) and I brewed a pot of the Sweet Maria's Costa Rica Tarrazu Cafetales de Dota I roasted last weekend. The coffee and pancakes were delicious and complimented each other well.

I'm thinking I'm not that I'm not that perfect a roaster so I'm suspecting that this coffee is a diamond in the rough, or I just really love coming back to coffee from Costa Rica after a long break. Here's the link if you want to try roasting some yourself.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/costa-rica-tarrazu-cafetales-de-dota-7025.html

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good story, Yak.

That's one thing I simultaneously love and hate about coffee roasting; it's a moving target that you think you hit a bullseye one time and then find a future roast even better; or you think you have a roast profile down pat and a batch comes out that's a B-. Costa Rica was my first love when I was first exposed to specialty coffee from a craft roaster back around '80 or '81, and it's kinda like a baby duck imprinting on it's mother, Costa Rica is still a favorite (even though it's not all that exciting) and in a way is what other coffees are measured against.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Tell us about that bean cooler, please.

Just holds 1 lb. top two sections--wire mesh to hold the beans, bottom section has a fine screen to catch the chaff. Bottom (black section) has a fan to draw the air through the beans, fairly low powered typical computer fan.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FHZJFLY

About 3 minutes with a full lb, quicker with 12 oz.

Just a fan and a switch so should last well and if not easy to fix.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok serious question. Is the Bishop’s Blend coffee worth grinding and drinking?

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S **** BURNT AWFUL GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!! I only made it to three sips before I poured it out, ran a couple grams of good coffee through the grinder just insure I wouldn't get any of that crap in my cup.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Ok serious question. Is the Bishop’s Blend coffee worth grinding and drinking?

No. Walk away....

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

It smells and tastes like it was roasted over rancid opossum pelts and fermented skunk piss.

Hard pass.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

From what I've heard most cigar brands roast dark with their coffee. Any good ones out there that we should know of? (not that I buy roasted coffee very often)

Good to know guys. Thanks

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusty you're still totally going to try it anyway aren't you ;)

Go for it, Rusty. Don't listen to these coffee snobs!

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't care for it, but it was better with cream and sugar.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

@Jrflickster said:
    Rusty you're still totally going to try it anyway aren't you ;)

Probably not lol. I can’t drink it very often so when I actually do I want it to be worthwhile.

I've been putting 6 - 10 % of a coffee that's not to exciting in with the coffee I like just to use it up.

At my mom's after eating a crock pot pork roast my son and I cooked while we visited the Van Gogh Immersive exhibit in LA, drinking from a big pot the Kenya Nyeri Chinga Peaberry I roasted the week before Christmas and even though the coffee pot and grinder are nothing special the blackberry and grape notes are delighting me.

It's strange to grind 100 grams of coffee and put 1.5 liters of water in the pot, but my Mom drinks a lot of coffee.

And I'm getting noting in the way of notes back from my family after they add the French vanilla creamer to their coffee. Sigh. I'm just happy with the taste.

Loved that Costa Rica that I roasted so much of before Christmas but it's time for a change so I roasted 700 grams each of the Organic Guatemala Huehuetenango Guaya'B and the Uganda Kapkwai Sipi Falls Raised bed natural while I still have a day or two of the Kenya Nyeri Chinga Peaberry left.

Maybe I should have roasted three batches, my Wife has been asking for more coffee lately. :D

Same here, been going through a lot of Panama, so switched it up with a roast of Yemen Mokha Matari and a roast of a Yirgacheffe.

Roasted 8 samples today; 4 Brazil, 2 Ethiopian, a Guatemala, and a Costa Rica.

Do you use your big boy roaster or have a smaller sample roaster @peter4jc ?