Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before I acquired the big boy (LOL) I used two SC/TO's, 4# per hour w/ both going. Now, they're only for samples.

A long-time friend took my ideas for the Stir Crazy/Turbo Oven (which wasn't my invention at all) and made it into something way better w/ a few key mods;
    https://youtu.be/DWZp_85vGsQ

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered this because the one Yakster suggested isn't available and I need one now.
    https://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/baratzasette30/

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 30 may not have the adjustability to dial in espresso but I understand you can order the fine adjustment mechanism of the 270 to fit the 30. Good luck.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't grind my own coffee beans or make anything fancy, but these are a few of the store-bought blends I have been drinking. My brother gave me the Caribou blends, otherwise I simply buy what is cheap and sounds interesting.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

I remember those days. It's good to be happy with where we are on the path. It's good to remind myself that I don't know what I don't know, and let others enjoy the path as it unfolds itself.

I've heard of Caribou Coffee.

@Yakster said:
    I've heard of Caribou Coffee.

We used to have a bunch of them around here, and it was one of the better coffee shops of the national chains. Now, we're down to two locally and only four in the state.

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have one in rhinelander and one in minocqua.

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caribou Coffee is pretty decent, we have two of them on the same street in a town nearby. I don't frequent such coffee shops, but I do think Caribou is better than Starbucks. One of my favorite aspects of coffee drinking is the aroma, I love walking into the kitchen when it is brewing. :)

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

@Jrflickster said:
    We have one in rhinelander and one in minocqua.

Interesting that those two don't show up in their 'find a location' thing.

It could be because they are inside a trigs grocery store. Like the one in rhinelander store shares a space with trigs floral.

On trigs website they don't even consider the rhinelander location s full service but they say the minocqua and eagle river ones are full service
    https://www.trigs.com/discover/departments/floral-and-home/caribou-coffee

My daughter used to work at a Starbucks in a Safeway grocery store. IIRC, this isn't exactly considered a Starbucks franchise but something else. She doesn't drink coffee.

I wonder how they pull that off I've always understood Starbucks owns every single one out there. Closest you could come to getting a Starbucks by you was submitting a request for Starbucks to do a population survey of some kind and determining if they the corporation would be willing to build in the area. I could be way far off but it sure feels like I learned this at some point. By the end of this post thought I'm questioning myself if I really know this or not but hey maybe...someone will learn me good if I'm wrong.

I just remember let's say 14-15 years ago I had a thought that Starbucks would have done great in rhinelander. And after research about franchising I think that's what I came up with but who knows anymore I smoked alot of weed around that time.

I'm sure I know less than you about it. Just what I remember from what my daughter told us.

I'm not questioning you or her just wondering out loud. I don't much care for Starbucks anymore anyways. Just something I thought about back then. I also thought a gamestop was a great idea. With in a year of the thought we got one in rhinelander which lasted till last year.
    Also thought about growing weed at one point...lol

Better stick to furnaces...

My agree

edited January 2022

When we take the coastal route down to my Mom's house, there's a Starbucks halfway there in San Luis Obispo.

I'd go in and have them fill my brew mug with hot water from their Fetco brewer hot water tap and grind some fresh coffee out of the trunk of the car while the rest of the family go their sugar fix inside.

When I was a field engineer on 24x7 call for remote radio sites I'd keep a kettle, water, and a grinder in the car to be able to brew coffee on site. If it was at one of the PD or FD stations I'd usually use hot water from their cooler. If I got called out at zero dark thirty I'd grind coffee into my brew mug, pour some hot water from my cooler in there and hit the road, plunging the grounds down after five minutes in my Presse / Impress brew mug.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

They’ve started putting Starbucks inside my favorite grocery store chain in the region 😒
    The places were crowded enough and now it’s become the place that all the damn teenagers gather to just be in the way

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I never realized the alchemy involved." <----- Said my mom as I showed them the bloom when I visited them with all the gear necessary for pour over brewing of my own roasted beans.

• Digital scale
    • portable hand grinder
    • gooseneck kettle
    • pour over funnel
    • insulated mug (under the funnel)

No telling what they'd say if they watched me roasting green coffee.

Odds are that mom didn't care for the coffee you made. Am I right?

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Odds are that mom didn't care for the coffee you made. Am I right?

She never drinks coffee. Dad gave it a try. He didn't hate it. Or was being polite about it.

My admittedly small sample size of moms and dads shows that what we know and love as specialty-grade coffee is outside their paradigm for good coffee.

lol. My mom would make a full pot of Maxwell House, have a cup and the next few days nuke what was left. She was nothing if not frugal.

Yesterday I had two cups of Costa Rica Tarrazu Cafetales de Dota in the morning and two espresso shots of Organic Guatemala Huehuetenango Guaya'B in the afternoon / evening.

How's that new grinder working out, Edward?