Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    What’s with the needle things?

VooDoo

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:

@Patrickbrick said:
    What’s with the needle things?

VooDoo

I almost used that word in my reply.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

He’s a very functional alcoholic. Good info though

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh great:

"While those workers inhaled high levels of diacetyl over long periods of time, the new study, published in the American Journal of Physiology—Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, set out to test whether low-level, short-term exposures to the same chemical could produce a similar effect.

“We found that a single exposure to diacetyl for short periods of time did not result in much lung damage,” says lead author Matthew D. McGraw, assistant professor of pediatric pulmonology at the University of Rochester Medical Center. “But when mice are exposed to another common environmental exposure, like flu, the double hit can cause airway disease similar to what we see with high-dose, long-term exposures to diacetyl.”

In the study, researchers exposed mice to diacetyl for one hour a day over five consecutive days at levels similar to what coffee roasters encounter at work. They then exposed the mice to influenza A, which typically causes seasonal flu in humans.

Within two weeks of exposure, more than half of the mice that received this one-two hit died, while all of the mice in the control groups (exposed to diacetyl alone, flu alone, or neither) survived. Lungs from mice exposed to the “two-hits” showed significant impairment of lung function and airway repair compared to controls.

Researchers then switched the order of exposure, infecting another group of mice with flu first, allowing them to recover for nine days, then exposing them to diacetyl for five days. Whether the mice were exposed to diacetyl before or after flu, their lungs were unable to fully heal, again suggesting that exposure to both chemical and virus leads to abnormal airway repair.

“Our study shows that common environmental exposures that seem harmless on their own can have very serious impacts on lung function and long-term respiratory health when combined,” McGraw says."

https://www.futurity.org/coffee-roasting-chemical-flu-lungs-2811672/

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

We should stop roasting if we have the flu and for a while after we've recovered.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peter, does that mean you’re retiring?????? 😂

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nnooooo, not again!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

Brewed a pot of the Guatemala Antigua Jauja Rosario washed coffee I roasted Wednesday night. This was one of two coffees I bought from a new-to-me vendor, Hacea Coffee Source. I drank down two cups of this coffee before I realized what I was doing, I didn't really take any notes of the flavors, just that it was really good. I'm hoping it gets even better after more than one and a half scant days of rest after roasting.

• Options
    MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022

First batch of homemade cold brew and some cereal in the home office (bathroom)

• Options

Wondering about the home office being your bathroom sitch. Very efficient, maybe too efficient. :D

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those bagel seeds in the bowl?!

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

Really enjoying roast number 138: Ethiopia Yirga Cheff Chelchele from Sunday. It has some nice blueberry notes, great coffee. My morning routine lately is to go downstairs and start a pot of coffee before I take my shower so that my wife can have a cup before she leaves for work, I twisted off half a cup to bring up stairs and enjoy during my morning ablutions and I'm enjoying it very much.

• Options

I went shopping yesterday and forgot the creamer. I never use creamer in my coffee so I didn't even think about it.

• Options
  • Options

James Hoffmann, who many regard as our day's top coffee Wiseman, answers questions from the twitter world. Pretty interesting.
    https://youtu.be/pjJqOgFyCxI

• Options

good refresher article for amateur roasters here, just complex enough for me without going into a multi-chapter explanation of each step:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cooksillustrated/science/847-articles/story/the-science-of-coffee-roasting

• Options

Thanks, Edward, I'll check this article out later.

• Options

I enjoyed it, Edward, thank you.

• Options

My wife likes Starbuck's dark roasts. How do they get it to have that butterscotch aroma instead of the charcoal one that my dark roasts have? Maybe not possible in my Behmor lower-temp roaster?

• Options

5 half-pound green coffee bean samplers for $14, I ordered Ethiopia and Africa:

https://www.coffeebeancorral.com/categories/Green-Coffee-Beans/12-lb-Coffee-Samples.aspx

• Options

I'm roasting this bean this morning, the green coffee smells great, like fruit salad. High hopes.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-dry-process-buno-dambi-uddo-7390.html

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 2022

If you watched that last video and the Monty Python skit Dennis Moore Lupin Express popped in to your head when they talked about lupin coffee, go to this Daily Motion site to watch the skit.

https://dai.ly/x2nrqgb

• Options
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

I drink coffee every day, all day. My sister gave me a pound of bourbon maple flavored coffee for Christmas. I must say, it was pretty good. I normally drink half a pot of half-caff in the morning and then switch to decaf for the remainder of the day. This was full caffeine and sent me to the 🚽 about the time I finished it.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

32 oz high-test for me in the AM. 16 oz of 2/3 decaf 1/3 high-test after supper.I buy roasted beans and grind my own.

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    32 oz high-test for me in the AM. 16 oz of 2/3 decaf 1/3 high-test after supper.I buy roasted beans and grind my own.

I see you as a prime candidate for home-roasting, Rodger.