Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    @Yakster said:

This forum doesn't seem to have a way to mark all the old messages as read so new members are stuck reading ancient messages and necroposting replies, I think you just have to power through.

From the main menu, click the star in the top right corner of the catagory. You get a pop up to "mark read". Click that and all old posts are brought up to date.
    I just cleared 800 post from the old CI daily banter thread.

Excellent.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also did the dog bowl/heat gun thing... but I used a Coleman camping stove set on the absolute lowest setting possible, then came in from the top with the heat gun. I had a wooden spoon in one hand and the heat gun in the other, and sitting on a short stool I would be stirring for like 15 minutes and thought I was going to collapse from holding my arms in that position so long. The things we do for coffee!!!

We have upgraded our machine a few times and are now running a Rocket Evolution that is around 5 years old but still going strong. I usually use an AeroPress when travelling but I forgot to pack it on for a 10 day trip that ended yesterday... I can't believe how many people drink crappy coffee and think that's what it is supposed to taste like. It's good to be home again for sure.

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

It's good to occasionally drink crap coffee otherwise you don't appreciate what you've got.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like just the bottom half of the old Stir Crazy / Turbo Oven roaster. Without the Turbo Oven top to really add the heat this will take a while to roast and the results will probably be sub-optimal.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Stir Crazy / Turbo Oven roaster... slap together one of these... it's IMHO, the best way to roast coffee on the cheap. You can source new parts and be turning green beans brown for $100.

https://sunpentown.com/product/so-2000-motor-top/

Or, scour ebay for Galloping Gourmet or Decosonic convection ovens.

[https://ebay.com/itm/284387200534?hash=item4236cc4e16:g:QSoAAOSw3qFhAFHX]

Then all you need is a Stir Crazy popper.

This guy's write-up will give you the basic idea, even though my setup is better. ;-)

turbocrazy.atspace.com/index_files/project.htm

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys have all the good ideas. I think my wife would be upset if I randomly started roasting coffee but this is a real interesting idea and thread.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though it would cut into the 'gar budget jump in with both feet and get a Behmor drum roaster. It will pay for itself.

• JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll give it alittle time but I'm intrigued. Friday the wife actually messaged the post master just to give him some crap about my @Bigshizza sampler not being here yet(it did show yesterday though) and he warned her that my new found hobby is an expensive one and she said "I'll let him have it since I'm an expensive lifestyle" so i don't want push my luck just yet lol

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this on FB marketplace,...

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drinking a whole carafe of Peters Uganda Sipi Falls, light roast, very good coffee!

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

I love the Uganda Sipi Falls, I'll have to roast some again soon.

@Yakster said:
    I love the Uganda Sipi Falls, I'll have to roast some again soon.

Bet you don't have the Natural...

Not sure how much of the 22# I have left. Uganda Kaproron Sipi Falls Raised Bed Natural Organic Crown Jewel.

More espresso on a borrowed Caravel after figuring out why it wasn't working. The terminal screws to the heating element socket were loose and the IEC line cord connecting to the socket pigtail (so the Caravel could be run off 120 V or 220 V by changing the element and the power cord) had high resistance and had to be swapped out. Pretty good but 13.5 grams in the tiny 43 mm filter basket was too much.

More espresso, Tom's traditional Italian blend (which I overextracted) and a nice shot of my roast of Panama Elida Natural Catuai.

Never a dull moment at the Yakster house...

More of Tom's espresso, pulled at a lower temp (~86 C) and a coarser grind, it's tasting better, in his loaner Caravel '50s espresso machine followed by some KBV Burley Morning Pipe (Burley with coffee) in my Neal Monier Bing.

Commodity prices and trading have also been a hot topic given the constraints seen in Vietnam. The nation is the No.2 coffee producer in the world, but is battling its worst COVID outbreak since the start of the pandemic. In August, Vietnamese coffee exports fell 8.7% from July to 111,697 tons, continuing a downward trend seen since January. As a result, benchmark arabica coffee futures (KC1:COM) have jumped by nearly 47% this year, a price that has also been affected by waves of frost and drought in No.1 producer Brazil. Coffee prices could stay "relatively high" through 2022 due to the constrained supply, according to Fitch Solutions.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3740718-lockdown-in-vietnam-dents-retail-coffee-and-the-supply-chain

I'd like to see the dynamics of how robusta, which is mainly what Viet Nam grows, impacted the arabica futures.

Perhaps the shortage of one puts pressure on the other.

usps espresso stamp issued:

Not in love with that practically unreadable font.

well at least they didn't spell it 'expresso'.

The International Trade Centre released their fourth edition of their coffee guide.

https://www.intracen.org/uploadedFiles/intracenorg/Content/Publications/ITC_Coffee_4th_Report_20210930_web_pages.pdf

@Yakster said:
    A weird take on storing coffee. Not sure if I'm going to try this, but it it involves Boveda packs so it's something many of us can try.

https://youtu.be/J7xEbf1mkm0

I found out that there was a follow-up video to this one I've quoted where coffee was stored at high humidity for longer and compared. Interesting results.

https://youtu.be/BcXK1MZJDAM