Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coffee

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking back I cut my pre-heat temp for the smaller batch of Kenya but didn't cut my heat application. I roasted half the greens, I'll aim to do better next time.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@silvermouse said:
    good beans, good people: 6lbs/free shipping/$30:

https://legacyfarmscoffee.com/

Lempira
    Honey process: Caramel and honey tasting notes. Light chocolate aroma.
    Washed process: Caramel and citrus tasting notes.

Interested to hear your take on this coffee, Edward. I roasted this one and the Uganda Kaproron Sipi Falls Raised Bed Natural Organic Crown Jewel I picked up from Royal Coffee. Both fairly light roasts, I'm getting mostly smooth coffee flavors from the Legacy Farms Honduras Lempira, the natural process Uganda is much more interesting, but was $7 / # instead of $5. I still need to do more tasting.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

A darker roast on the Lempira will cut down a bit on the acid and bring up some chocolate, but you are right, it is a pretty mild coffee-tasting bean. I've been blending it recently with a city+ to FC Chiapas to give it a bit more character. It is a good blender for adding tones to a darker roast.

• Options

I was thinking that a darker roast might bring out more of the bass notes, it was roasted pretty light. The Uganda shines at a light roast with a nice stone fruit sweetness, I'll try a darker roast of the Lempira next.

• Options
    edited December 2020

I haven't read this yet, but this looks right up your alley, @silvermouse: The Effect of Roast Development Time Modulations on the Sensory Profile and Chemical Composition of the Coffee Brew as Measured by NMR and DHS-GC–MS. Free PDF Download here: https://www.mdpi.com/2306-5710/6/4/70/htm

• Options

Thanks, Chris, it will definitely help me understand and target desired outcomes. Since I have started buying larger batches of beans I've been experimenting with development time and temperature more and finding that the Behmor's limitations are a challenge.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read it and found it interesting. But if I was designing the study I would've had all four roasts end up at the same temp; they were looking at the length of development time but IMHO having that much difference in end temps between the fast and slow roasts would have as much impact (almost) as the different amount of time in development. ¯_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
  • Options

Thanks again. A question: Is it generally assumed that development is timed from the beginning of first crack or is it the time following the end of first crack?

• Options

Beginning of 1C to the end of roast.

• Options

@silvermouse that Legacy Farms Honduras Lempira coffee I roasted up last weekend has improved with rest. It's still pretty simple but it's clean and good.

The Uganda Sipi Falls Natural is a real stunner. Very interesting coffee.

• Options

I'll put it on my ever-growing list. Just started brewing a batch of Tanzania peaberry and can vouch for its goodness..
    https://www.coffeebeancorral.com/www/Products/Tanzania-Peaberry---__TANZPB.aspx

• Options

Roasts only 4oz per batch, but is the cheapest way I know to roast coffee w/o making your own roaster.
    https://home.woot.com/offers/fresh-roast-coffee-machine?

• Options
    logan_042logan_042 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I’m trying to transition to coffee from energy drinks to save money. Never really got into the fancy stuff I usually just drink Dunkin Donuts coffee. I would love an espresso machine/cappuccino machine though. When I was bartending I used to live on cappuccinos.

• Options

And think about getting a coffee roaster! Peter and Yakster are espresso people and undoubtedly give you some experience tainted suggestions.

• Options
    edited December 2020

I noticed an off taste in my Uganda Kaproron Sipi Falls Raised Bed Natural Organic Crown Jewel coffee this morning. I'm pretty sure that I ran across a PTD (Potato Taste Defect) bean in the batch. I dumped the paper filter out of my Behmor BraZen filter basket and smelled the basket and I could still smell a faint smell of raw potato. I found this Counter Culture blog that was pretty helpful and gave a statistic that 1 coffee bean in about every 3.3 pounds from Rwanda, Burundi, or Western Uganda will be affected.

https://counterculturecoffee.com/blog/potato-taste-defect

I've got to remember to smell the grounds before I brew the pot.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

The potato thing isn’t the problem. It’s just that the name of those beans is about a paragraph too long.... 😜🤣

• Options

Love it.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Praying for Peter, today

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

I'll be holding the Warden, Peter in the light today.

• Options

• Options

Good morning, Peter

• Options

good to see you made it through abominable surgery!

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Going home Friday perhaps, more likely Saturday. Everything is copacetic. God is good.

Great to hear Peter!

Now no cigars for a month

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you teach the nursing staff how to properly make coffee?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.